Flowers and his magic glasses

southsider2k5

We'll need to wait and see. All I know is, since he's started wearing his glasses, his BABIP is way higher than .380 (closer to .400). He's got a .607 BABIP since the ASB.

It could be luck or it could be a real improvement.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
We'll need to wait and see. All I know is, since he's started wearing his glasses, his BABIP is way higher than .380 (closer to .400). He's got a .607 BABIP since the ASB.

It could be luck or it could be a real improvement.

Post All star break Flowers is hitting .455 Eaton .471 Sierra in much fewer AB's .471.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:00 AM)
if he ends up settling in at .250ish with moderate power (by moderate I mean number of HRs, not shear power...because the dude is strong) and decent defense, he'll be fine as the starting catcher.

If he hits .250 with moderate power, with his ability to call a game and do a quality job behind the plate, we will be in great shape because we'll be talking about one of the 5 or 6 best catchers in the game. Tools are there but lets see if he can sustain and start hitting the ball more consistently hard for a long term period like he has since putting those glasses on!

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)
Dear Mr Magee,

I should probably do this in a PM but making definitive statement like "He will never settle in at .250 " comes off as arrogant . Now I know in your mind his history and stats tell you you're right with a high degree of certainty. Might I suggest that you say his stats and history "suggest" or "point towards " unsustainability.

Also you might not care that you sound arrogant but since you revealed that you never played the game or correct me if I'm wrong , haven't followed baseball for very long it appears doubly arrogant and that why sometimes people mention those things to you about having never played the game. Just throwing yourself into modern stats doesn''t make you a predictor of the future. A little humility goes a long way when dealing with hardcore fans who really don't want to hear there is no hope for a member of their favorite team . Hope is all we have most of the time so let a few of us hope Tyler can be more than his stats and history "suggest " that he is.

Ah come on now, this and any forum is filled with people saying definitive things about things that aren't technically definitive. It wouldn't be the internet if people had to put a qualifier ahead of saying anything!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
If he hits .250 with moderate power, with his ability to call a game and do a quality job behind the plate, we will be in great shape because we'll be talking about one of the 5 or 6 best catchers in the game. Tools are there but lets see if he can sustain and start hitting the ball more consistently hard for a long term period like he has since putting those glasses on!

I wanna go back in time one month and share this statement with that version of Soxtalk.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
I wanna go back in time one month and share this statement with that version of Soxtalk.

I am not saying he's going to do that. I just said if he did that, that is what you'd be talking about. I'm enjoying this ride but its Tyler Flowers, if we had a good option, I'd be asking for him to be playing now, but we can't just throw Nieto to the wolves totally and might as well ride this version of Flowers while its rolling and who knows, maybe something finally clicked.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
What was he doing before the glasses? Was he just going with his regular bad vision? Or was he wearing contacts? I don't see how switching from contacts to glasses would help any.

Contacts, and I don't see how it would help either, but it does.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
I am not saying he's going to do that. I just said if he did that, that is what you'd be talking about. I'm enjoying this ride but its Tyler Flowers, if we had a good option, I'd be asking for him to be playing now, but we can't just throw Nieto to the wolves totally and might as well ride this version of Flowers while its rolling and who knows, maybe something finally clicked.

I know, I was just having fun imagining the massacre that post would have sparked a month ago. I agree with you that the tools are there. I've always tried to be more patient with Flowers than most, perhaps overestimating the impact of the shoulder injury last year. But right now, out of 55 MLB catchers with at least 100 PA's, his bat is sitting right around the middle. The way he got there was just very... roundabout, to say the least.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
In fact I think it would make it worse.

How so? Who knows maybe Tyler has sensitive eyes and it was effecting his vision. Or perhaps he changed prescriptions.

All I know is his success started the day he put em on. Perhaps its just a placebo effect, or extremely coincidental.

Edited by scs787

What was he doing before the glasses? Was he just going with his regular bad vision? Or was he wearing contacts? I don't see how switching from contacts to glasses would help any.

Glasses still offer better vision correction, especially when it comes to people with vision problems like astigmatism. If he had allergies (I've been there), contacts can become unwearable as well. You'll have them coming out of place and getting literally covered with the gunk your eyes are producing

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Glasses still offer better vision correction, especially when it comes to people with vision problems like astigmatism. If he had allergies (I've been there), contacts can become unwearable as well. You'll have them coming out of place and getting literally covered with the gunk your eyes are producing

I can't do it but I think Tyler is wearing Dick Allen glasses.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.60801...mp;rs=0&p=0

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
Ah come on now, this and any forum is filled with people saying definitive things about things that aren't technically definitive. It wouldn't be the internet if people had to put a qualifier ahead of saying anything!

Ok cool. I had seen some posters questioning you because you put your personal info out there about your lack of experience with baseball . As long as you can take the heat . Sorry for sticking my nose in. Just thought it might help some if you softened your stance some.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)

Like I said earlier in the thread he says it's from adjustments he's made. whitesox.com article here http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...me&c_id=cws

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Frankly, what's encouraging about this hot streak is that he's hitting for power. Soft singles to right field don't breed much confidence, but hitting bullets all over the field shows some indication that maybe something is taking root.

This is an important point. His streak at the beginning of the season was very clearly propped up by a ton of shank Texas-Leaguers. This one, at least from what I've seen, is much less like that.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Contacts, and I don't see how it would help either, but it does.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
In fact I think it would make it worse.

I usually wear contacts because it's more convenient, but I do see better with my glasses. I'm not saying that's the case with Flowers, but you never know.