Phillies willing to send most of $70 million contract to deal How

southsider2k5

Phillies have a lot of guys who make a lot of money that are going to get traded. And will likely have to eat a lot of cash in these contracts. Will be interesting to see what they do. Hamels, Lee, Utley, etc. Howard is just awful so I don't know who would pick him up. Hurt the last couple of years and just signed to an awful deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
If you got them for an effective cost of say $5 million annually, would you rather have Howard or Dunn going forward.

Cyanide.

At $1-4 mill, I'd rather have Dunn. He can at least stand in the outfield and shag fly balls during a live game, he still draws walks and that power isn't going away any time soon. Howard is just brutal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
If you got them for an effective cost of say $5 million annually, would you rather have Howard or Dunn going forward.

Absolutely neither of them. I certainly don't want Dunn to play another game with the White Sox.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
Ignore salaries for a minute. Who is most likely to be the most productive hitter between now and the end of the 2016 season:

Ryan Howard

Adam Dunn

Andy Wilkins

Probably Dunn but I wouldn't think it would be a wise strategy to pencil any of them into our lineup.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)

Oh great, a choice between two fat chicks that are capable of putting OCB out of business in one sitting.

I will consult my crystal beer ball tonight to decide which gets rolled in the flour.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
I see this and imagine an Onion type headline stating "Phillies don't want bad baseball player on team, want someone to help pay for bad baseball player's contract."

Or Phillies willing to feed Howard Subway for life if he'll just go away

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
Phillies have a lot of guys who make a lot of money that are going to get traded. And will likely have to eat a lot of cash in these contracts. Will be interesting to see what they do. Hamels, Lee, Utley, etc. Howard is just awful so I don't know who would pick him up. Hurt the last couple of years and just signed to an awful deal.

They need to completely blow up their team. I would be basically trying to trade the entire starting rotation, Papelbon, Rollins, Utley, Byrd, Ruiz and Howard. That team is really bad, really old, and expensive. There isn't a single player on that roster who is under 30 that is good (other than a couple of relievers).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
They need to completely blow up their team. I would be basically trying to trade the entire starting rotation, Papelbon, Rollins, Utley, Byrd, Ruiz and Howard. That team is really bad, really old, and expensive. There isn't a single player on that roster who is under 30 that is good (other than a couple of relievers).

They need a team to really want Hamels who will take on other bad contracts without sending over cash. Basically, they need a team like the Dodgers to do what they did a few years ago when they got Crawford, Gonzalez, and Beckett and completely bail out the Red Sox. Unfortunately for the Phillies that is unlikely to happen. Hamels and Utley are the two guys with much any value and even Hamels value is limited in the fact that he's signed to big money until he's like 38 or something. Lee is a solid pick-up for a contender, except for the fact that he has a huge buy-out, something like 12.5M so Phils would have to at least send that type of cash over to get a halfway decent prospect or two.

Stuff like this is why I'm totally fine dumping Danks and having all of the flexibility we can. Danks isn't a bargain and while he isn't a bad pitcher, he isn't going to be key when our core matters and that money can be invested in other areas, imo. I feel same way with Alexei and that is mainly because I believe we'll see pretty significant declines in his defense which will totally limit his value going forward.