WHITE SOX WINNER!

Jose Abreu

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Think he means the SB/CS numbers. 10-for-16 isn't great.

Which is a really narrow view. While he might not have his base stealing technique down, the guy is the best base runner the team has. He gets great reads, takes the extra base whenever humanly possible, and is always running the bases at 100%.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)
Yeah if they aren't in the top 10, I don't think they'll be signing a protected free agent. Just doesn't make any sense.

I kinda dislike this logic. Understand it yes, but really dislike it. Sox right now, IMO are just a few pieces away from being a serious threat. Regardless of where they finish I really think they should go for it next year. If Shields/Cueto/Scherzer hit the market I think it's worth losing a pick in the 5-10 range.

Where does it end? If the finish out of the bottom 10 the next few years do the just never add a marquee FA? Sox have arguably the best pitcher and best hitter in the game and a lot of good complimentary pieces in guys like Q/Eaton/Gillaspie/Lexi/Avi. I see no reason to waste a year or 2 or 3 of those guys again for anything less than a top 5 pick.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
I kinda dislike this logic. Understand it yes, but really dislike it. Sox right now, IMO are just a few pieces away from being a serious threat. Regardless of where they finish I really think they should go for it next year. If Shields/Cueto/Scherzer hit the market I think it's worth losing a pick in the 5-10 range.

Where does it end? If the finish out of the bottom 10 the next few years do the just never add a marquee FA? Sox have arguably the best pitcher and best hitter in the game and a lot of good complimentary pieces in guys like Q/Eaton/Gillaspie/Lexi/Avi. I see no reason to waste a year or 2 or 3 of those guys again for anything less than a top 5 pick.

It ends when the team actually IS a few pieces from being a serious threat. Right now, we're an entire bullpen, a starting C, and at least two decent starters from being a serious threat, and we could really use at least one corner OF as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
Schezer would not be fun. I don't consider $200 million contracts for pitchers "fun".

Meh, honestly payroll is gonna be really low. With the team friendly deals they signed Sale and Q to I really think they could sacrifice that kinda money.

You probably don't do it with Danks still on the team, but if they can trade him, the payroll would be at 28M pre arbitration.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
It ends when the team actually IS a few pieces from being a serious threat. Right now, we're an entire bullpen, a starting C, and at least two decent starters from being a serious threat, and we could really use at least one corner OF as well.

I really want to see what Taylor can do in LF or RF from August 1 on.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Meh, honestly payroll is gonna be really low. With the team friendly deals they signed Sale and Q to I really think they could sacrifice that kinda money.

You probably don't do it with Danks still on the team, but if they can trade him, the payroll would be at 28M pre arbitration.

A good way to destroy an organization is to give out bad contracts just because you can. Ask the Phillies.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)

Meh, with the emergence of Petricka and Putnam, plus hopefully a reemergence of Nate Jones the pen can be fixed. Webb is probably nothing more than a long man at this point, but that's another piece. I think if they can add a guy like Andrew Miller and another nice piece the pen will be fine.

One of those big name SPs along with Noesi, who I'm ready to call a legit ML starter is the start of a serious rotation of Sale-FA-Q-Noesi-?. That ? turns into Rodon at some point, hopefully soon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
A good way to destroy an organization is to give out bad contracts just because you can. Ask the Phillies.

Phillies have multiple huge contracts. Sox would have 1 and that's with Sale and Q locked up to extremely team friendly deals. Again, assuming they unload Danks, if the Sox add a guy at ~25M that would bring the payroll up to 53M pre arb. Speaking of arbitration, Sox really only have to pick up Nate Jones, who won't be expensive. If JR thinks this team can contend, which he should IMO, you don't think the payroll would be in the 90-100M range? Max/Cueto/Shields wouldn't even put them close to that.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
Phillies have multiple huge contracts. Sox would have 1 and that's with Sale and Q locked up to extremely team friendly deals. Again, assuming they unload Danks, if the Sox add a guy at ~25M that would bring the payroll up to 53M pre arb. Speaking of arbitration, Sox really only have to pick up Nate Jones, who won't be expensive. If JR thinks this team can contend, which he should IMO, you don't think the payroll would be in the 90-100M range? Max/Cueto/Shields wouldn't even put them close to that.

No one should be payed 25 million on this team. That's crazy.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)

to get that ONE player whether it is a pitcher or positional player to put the team over the top,

then yes. that is IF he can help to get the sox there.

I was a major advocate of defending JR since this site started and before. I believe then and as I do

now, JR will spend the money on good to great investment to an equally

great rtn (playoff, world series and a great player).

he did it with Jose A, he will not spend b/c fans expect him to.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
to get that ONE player whether it is a pitcher or positional player to put the team over the top,

then yes. that is IF he can help to get the sox there.

I was a major advocate of defending JR since this site started and before. I believe then and as I do

now, JR will spend the money on good to great investment to an equally

great rtn (playoff, world series and a great player).

he did it with Jose A, he will not spend b/c fans expect him to.

I dont think you need to pay a pitcher that much since we have legit #1 and #2 already in the fold. You dont pay a #3 pitcher that much money.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)

I don't think anyone should make that much period, but it's a reality of the league.....Now let me go on record saying that I just think Scherzer or Cueto would be "fun" and I really think it'd fit in the payroll (assuming JR wants to go up to ~90M). I'm not necessarily saying they SHOULD go after them. Doesn't have to be one of those guys, but I do think they should go after a good RHSP and if he's attached to a 1st round pick, so be it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
I dont think you need to pay a pitcher that much since we have legit #1 and #2 already in the fold. You dont pay a #3 pitcher that much money.

I respect what you are saying, but I some what disagree. We have a #1 true and imho I am not sold on #2.

I think the sox need to invest, if they can on a #1a. someone who can step in #1 if injury happens. something

like philly did with lee and hamels.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
I respect what you are saying, but I some what disagree. We have a #1 true and imho I am not sold on #2.

I think the sox need to invest, if they can on a #1a. someone who can step in #1 if injury happens. something

like philly did with lee and hamels.

How are you not sold on Quintana? What more can you possibly need to see?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
Not even. Our top two starts are being paid like free agent #3/#4 type starters.

When Scott Feldman and Edwin Jackson are making more than Sale and Quintana, that should tell everyone that we have absolute steals.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)

Quintana has now proved he is one of the better pitchers in the AL. A 3.15 ERA with 0 run support all year basically. Amazing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)

don't get me wrong I like Quintana but I really don't see him as a bona fide #2. more like a #3 and

he is more valuable to any team and I am extremely happy he is with the sox.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Quintana has now proved he is one of the better pitchers in the AL. A 3.15 ERA with 0 run support all year basically. Amazing.

What has me more excited is the improvement of him overall as a pitcher. He's striking more out, keeping the control in check, keeping the ball on the ground, and even throwing harder. He's an absolute stud.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
don't get me wrong I like Quintana but I really don't see him as a bona fide #2. more like a #3 and

he is more valuable to any team and I am extremely happy he is with the sox.

Jose Quintana is closer to a #1 than a #3.