Open Letter to RH

Andy the Clown

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
I picked your post because I wanted to argue the point of using a hot or cold hand to decide. I have no opinion on whether or not he's ready.

A hot hand suggests you have figured things out. When you are slumping, there are problems. That's what I don't understand.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
A hot hand suggests you have figured things out. When you are slumping, there are problems. That's what I don't understand.

That's where the disconnect is. I define "hot hand" and "figuring things out" as different things.

Like, I'm a bad basketball player, but I play anyway because it's fun. Even though I'm bad, sometimes everything just clicks and I can bury shots from the perimeter for a while. It isn't just luck; I can feel my body in sync and it seems so simple to just put the ball in the basket. But it doesn't last -- that's what happens when I'm at my absolute best, but my physique hasn't improved, my mechanics haven't improved. I'm jsut "on." Everyone that plays long enough will be "on" from time to time. It's one of the beautiful and unpredictable things about sports.

Conversely, I had a huge breakthrough when I was about fifteen and playing in a Fall Instructional Baseball league. I was in the cage with my coach and trying to get myself out of a slump wondering why I was barrelling everything up in practice but I couldn't make solid contact in the game. Then it hit me: the difference was that I was EXPECTING to hit every pitch in the cage, but I was wasting time evaluating the pitch before deciding to swing in the game. A conundrum. In my head then, I just switched it around: when seeing a pitch rather than deciding if it was good enough to swing at, I started deciding if it was good enough to TAKE. When the pitcher released the ball, I was expecting to hit that ball until I noticed something that proved otherwise. This let me get my mechanics in line quickly and allowed me to react to location much faster. It was a breakthrough and I immediately began to hit way better. That, to me, was an example of "figuring it out." I changed something that allowed my average performance level to rise. I could stiil get "hot" or "cold," but the mean of those performances changed because my skill level changed.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
That's where the disconnect is. I define "hot hand" and "figuring things out" as different things.

Like, I'm a bad basketball player, but I play anyway because it's fun. Even though I'm bad, sometimes everything just clicks and I can bury shots from the perimeter for a while. It isn't just luck; I can feel my body in sync and it seems so simple to just put the ball in the basket. But it doesn't last -- that's what happens when I'm at my absolute best, but my physique hasn't improved, my mechanics haven't improved. I'm jsut "on." Everyone that plays long enough will be "on" from time to time. It's one of the beautiful and unpredictable things about sports.

Conversely, I had a huge breakthrough when I was about fifteen and playing in a Fall Instructional Baseball league. I was in the cage with my coach and trying to get myself out of a slump wondering why I was barrelling everything up in practice but I couldn't make solid contact in the game. Then it hit me: the difference was that I was EXPECTING to hit every pitch in the cage, but I was wasting time evaluating the pitch before deciding to swing in the game. A conundrum. In my head then, I just switched it around: when seeing a pitch rather than deciding if it was good enough to swing at, I started deciding if it was good enough to TAKE. When the pitcher released the ball, I was expecting to hit that ball until I noticed something that proved otherwise. This let me get my mechanics in line quickly and allowed me to react to location much faster. It was a breakthrough and I immediately began to hit way better. That, to me, was an example of "figuring it out." I changed something that allowed my average performance level to rise. I could stiil get "hot" or "cold," but the mean of those performances changed because my skill level changed.

Yes, but I'm not suggesting calling guys up because they are hot. I am suggesting when you have the luxury of not having to call someone up who you are going to be calling up to carefully pick the time to call them up. When they aren't going well is not the best time to call them up.

I mentioned Viciedo previously. He had already been with the White Sox and was obviously going to be back at some point. The Sox needed offense and he was on a crazy streak in Charlotte. They let him play it out. Eventually they called him up when he was struggling, and he struggled. He might have struggled anyway, but we all know when Tank is hot, he is hot. When you have the luxury to decide when, and often times you do not, do so when it makes sense. Maybe they have been hot for 4 days and that was how long it was going to last anyway, but so what, it's better than thinking they haven't hit in a week but they are due so bring them up to the next level. Seems to me if you are a candidate to be called up, there really is nothing major the organization is waiting for.

It's a game of failure. It's hard enough to hit just getting called up. Semien also has to see his average up on scoreboards from what he did earlier. He's probably going to be pressing. I think he would be far better off coming up and using the "I've been hot and deserve this" vs. "they want to see what I can do". Especially when his first AB back he won't be able to avoid .218 posted everywhere in the stadium.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Yes, but I'm not suggesting calling guys up because they are hot. I am suggesting when you have the luxury of not having to call someone up who you are going to be calling up to carefully pick the time to call them up. When they aren't going well is not the best time to call them up.

I mentioned Viciedo previously. He had already been with the White Sox and was obviously going to be back at some point. The Sox needed offense and he was on a crazy streak in Charlotte. They let him play it out. Eventually they called him up when he was struggling, and he struggled. He might have struggled anyway, but we all know when Tank is hot, he is hot. When you have the luxury to decide when, and often times you do not, do so when it makes sense. Maybe they have been hot for 4 days and that was how long it was going to last anyway, but so what, it's better than thinking they haven't hit in a week but they are due so bring them up to the next level. Seems to me if you are a candidate to be called up, there really is nothing major the organization is waiting for.

It's a game of failure. It's hard enough to hit just getting called up. Semien also has to see his average up on scoreboards from what he did earlier. He's probably going to be pressing. I think he would be far better off coming up and using the "I've been hot and deserve this" vs. "they want to see what I can do". Especially when his first AB back he won't be able to avoid .218 posted everywhere in the stadium.

I can get down with this

To Hahn,

I would like to inform you of a no account of a writer who is slamming a player. I have seen the

sox get offended when the sports writer have used the press to make a point to belittle those who

are players in any of the organization that JR owns and hope you can see to it. with what you have

available, meaning resources and staff, I hope you are equally offended and hope you can bury this

asshole.

with best regards

a loyal fan.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
He's also choking up on the bat ever so slightly when he gets to 2 strikes.

Good for him, if he's doing that. He's the kind of hitter who needs the advice of a hitting coach. Hopefully he's listening to the Sox instructor and that's the reason for his current success.

I have no problems with Flowers right now. He'll probably go 0-for-September and finish with a .220 average and people (me and others) will think he's the worst thing ever, but right now he's the least of the Sox problems.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
If you do not dump the salary of Beckham, Danks, or Dunn, you really failed the organization. And I'm your biggest fan.

Sincerely,

AtC

Hey Andy the Clown,

Sorry for replying so late. I've been meaning to get to your Soxtalk thread, but I have been quiet busy lately. I managed to dump the salaries of Beckham and Dunn for you. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Your buddy,

11in3ut.jpg

Hey Andy the Clown,

Sorry for replying so late. I've been meaning to get to your Soxtalk thread, but I have been quiet busy lately. I managed to dump the salaries of Beckham and Dunn for you. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Your buddy,

11in3ut.jpg

Fantastic work, Rick. Any chance of dumping Danks? Or is that like asking for peace in the Middle East?

Cheers,

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
Fantastic work, Rick. Any chance of dumping Danks? Or is that like asking for peace in the Middle East?

Cheers,

Dear Andy the Clown

I'm Rick Hahn, not Moses. I'd have a better chance of parting the Red Sea than getting someone to trade for Danks. Can I ask what more do you want from me, I've managed to dump both Beckham and Dunn. I'd like to have seen Moses shift those two and get anything back in return.

Yours faithfully

Rick Hahn

GM of the Year 2015.

PS Jeff Keppinger says hi. He's enjoying his millions on the beach.