Anyone disappoint about the trade deadine.

kitekrazy

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 07:14 AM)
It could be worse - the Sox GM could be Ruben Amaro Jr. He made 0 trades yesterday when he could have realistically made like 4 or 5.

I don't know whether he could have. Maybe if he planned on sending 150M in total as part of the trades, could he have done so.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
This is all that needs to be said. One thing Theo has had great success with the last few years is getting guys on short-term contracts that played great the first half of the year, and then he turned around and traded them for some strong packages. Unfortunately, Paulino/Downs/Belisario have been busts.

Feldman, Garza, Arrieta, Hammel, etc., all had their moments. (Still it's not like every prospect turns out, there are 50 Olts and Brandon Woods for every Adrian Beltre).

We lost Crain and Floyd last year, both could have been great trade chips.

This year, Gillaspie became so good (more valuable to the Sox than others) he wasn't worth trading with Davidson tanking. Erik Johnson went from our #3 to the #3 in Birmingham, somehow. Then you have the disappointments with Flowers, DeAza, Viciedo and Beckham.

Noesi and Putnam, same category as Conor.

Jones and Lindstrom were knocked out of being tradeworthy, as well.

And we don't know anything new about Avisail we don't know a year ago, except maybe about his work ethic and desire to get back on the field before the end of the season...of course, Juan Pierre was the first to show up at the stadium every day and the most popular member of the White Sox clubhouse, and what did that get us?

Also the Cubs might be a good organization to hit up at this point, if possible. Other teams that have strong farms & make a lot of deals would apply. The Red Sox & Cubs made a Doubront deal where they PTBNL isn't announced until after the Rule-5 deadline. I'm not sure but I imagine that deal is probably considering a package of players that the Cubs probably aren't going to be able to protect from the Rule-5 on the 40. I think we should try to find players like that, non-40 man roster prospects which another team may consider giving up because that team knows it probably won't be able to protect the player & risks losing him for nothing. Go after some types like that, put them wherever you need to whether it is at the MLB or MiLB level, and see if they can prove enough to be worth protecting for next year.

Also we're long overdue for a prospect-for-prospect type of deal. The last significant one I can think of was Cunningham for Richar. As long as they are not on the 40 we can make those types of deals. Even still, we can use the PTBNL tag to deal players on the 40 but then the transactions can't be completeld until IIRC sometime in September when playoff eligibility is gone.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
I think that at least most of us should all be able to agree on the following, going forward from today through the rest of the season:

1) The season is over, it has been over, this is garbage time only, and any dreams of hotstreaks and 2nd wildcard spots are foolishness;

2) Because of the above, the focus needs to be entirely on 2015 and beyond ONLY;

3) Because of the above, we need to use the remaining schedule, the remaining PA and IP available, also the remaining defensive innings positionally, to "see what we have" i.e. answer as many questions as possible heading into the organizational meetings where we will really put forth an action plan for the offseason

Now given those 3 above points which by now we should really all agree on, I think this is what we need to do:

1) Still do everything possible to dump Danks (if we can, but probably not)

2) Open up playing time everywhere and anywhere possible for anyone we think has at least *some chance* of being part of our future, whether it is a more of longshot like a Carlos Sanchez or Andy Wilkins, or a pretty solid bet like Marcus Semien

3) Still do everything possible on the waiver wire and/or in small trades at the MiLB level - keep in mind that only players protected on the 40man need to pass through waivers, the same trade rules as before apply to prospects not on the 40 - to acquire at least 1-2 pieces worth throwing out there in late August & September

4) Realize that 2014 payroll costs are fully sunk, completely unrecoverable, a total waste of time, and that the 2015+ payroll situation is really what matters. So you are prepared to dump Dunn & Beckham at full salary, especially if another team somehow by some great miracle decides to offer you a longshot prospect/reclamation project that is actually worth trying out for a month plus.

So Hahn needs to get busy.

That's not going to happen for another 2-3 weeks, not while the White Sox are within 5-6 games of the WC.

Where are you planning to play Carlos Sanchez, in Alexei's position? You can't have Semien and Carlos playing at the same time, unless you stick Semien in LF/RF, which probably isn't the time for on-the-job outfield training...granted, Viciedo's been a disaster, but it's not the best idea to have on-the-job outfield training in the middle of a pennant race.

Same thing with Saladino...the White Sox are stuck with 4-5 "gamers" in Leury, Sanchez, Saladino and Semien and MAYBE Semien becomes an everyday player and the other the utility guy.

But the betting money's still on Micah Johnson over Semien at 2B, at least at this exact moment in time.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
I don't know whether he could have. Maybe if he planned on sending 150M in total as part of the trades, could he have done so.

I think teams would have traded for Burnett, Papelbon, Hamels, Utley, and Rollins with no problem, and he could have possibly traded Byrd, Bastardo, Hernandez, Ruiz, and Lee too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
I think teams would have traded for Burnett, Papelbon, Hamels, Utley, and Rollins with no problem, and he could have possibly traded Byrd, Bastardo, Hernandez, Ruiz, and Lee too.

What was the reason he (Amaro) gave to the media for not making any moves?

That they weren't willing to meet his asking price, blah blah blah???

Glad that jackass isn't anywhere near the White Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
What was the reason he (Amaro) gave to the media for not making any moves?

That they weren't willing to meet his asking price, blah blah blah???

Glad that jackass isn't anywhere near the White Sox.

http://deadspin.com/phillies-gm-explains-w...tter-1614497314.

"I'm not necessarily disappointed," he said moments after the deadline. "I'm more surprised that there wasn't more aggressive action from the other end. We have some pretty good baseball players here. Our goal all along was to try to improve the club and there really wasn't a deal to be made that would help us do that."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
That's not going to happen for another 2-3 weeks, not while the White Sox are within 5-6 games of the WC.

Where are you planning to play Carlos Sanchez, in Alexei's position? You can't have Semien and Carlos playing at the same time, unless you stick Semien in LF/RF, which probably isn't the time for on-the-job outfield training...granted, Viciedo's been a disaster, but it's not the best idea to have on-the-job outfield training in the middle of a pennant race.

Same thing with Saladino...the White Sox are stuck with 4-5 "gamers" in Leury, Sanchez, Saladino and Semien and MAYBE Semien becomes an everyday player and the other the utility guy.

But the betting money's still on Micah Johnson over Semien at 2B, at least at this exact moment in time.

Miguel Cabrera played exactly 3 games as a professional in the OF when he was called up to the Marlins and played the OF in a pennant race. I know, not everyone is Miguel Cabrera, but defensively, most major leaguers are.

"On the job training" is something every rookie is going through whether playing a position they have played since being 6 years old or playing something they just picked up a week ago.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)

Hamels has a huge contract. Top line player but he's around for a few more years so depending on your rebuild and if the best offers you had were something similar to what Price got, I see no reason to make that trade.

Burnett - Going to be a waiver wire guy; Probably easiest guy they could have moved (and I think they still will); They have no excuse here, although again, likely would have had to send some cash as he isn't producing at a 16M / year clip (+ 1 M buy-out or a 7.5M option that Burnett could choose to elect, but would only do if he was hurt or something)

Rollins - Team acquiring him would be on the hook for about 15M between this year and next year (as his vesting option would kick-in); Again, Phils would have to send substantial cash

Utley - Doesn't want to be traded (so count him out)

Papelbon - Yes, he's been extremely good this season, but you are still getting an older reliever owed 26M over the next 2 years (on top of what you need to pay him today); This is assuming his 16 option vest which right now, he's fully on track for that to happen. No way you are trading him without sending over significant cash.

So by my list, that is one guy that could have been moved no problem. Marlon Byrd could have probably been moved too, but he too has another 16M owed to him in the next two seasons (again, on track for his 16 vesting option to kick-in). That is a lot to be on the hook for an outfielder about to turn 37. Again, I don't think they could move him without paying a decent chunk of cash.

So in short, by easy, you mean, if they decided they wanted to send out 50-100M in cash, sure, but every guy listed above, outside of Utley who has reiterated he didn't want to be traded (not sure if he has a no-trade clause), couldn't have been moved without giving up significant cash, with the exception of Burnett.

Well, I think they needed to move some players off this team. I know the team is 5 games from WC, but it's also got 5 teams ahead of it. The organization remains paper thin in the majors and minors (minors improving, but nowhere near where it needs to be). I realize Beckham and Viciedo - the 2 guys they wanted to move - stunk to high heaven. That didn't help. Danks' salary made that problematic. But De Aza, Dunn...nothing?

The Sox are contending because they have 2 super stars...the only other team in MLB that can say that is the Tigers and perhaps the Dodgers. That compensates to an extent for some of the glaring holes on the team (2 rotation spots, top end of the pen, LF, RF, 2B).

A Garcia may plug RF; Semien or Johnson may plug 2B; a FA may plug LF; a FA may be added to rotation and to pen. That still leaves the organization paper thin. There really is very little in the upper minors.

They need more in the pipeline. Trades could have helped that, even for A Ball players.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
I'm disappointed that Hahn didn't pull some magical s*** out of a hat, but I'm not surprised at all. We didn't have anything good to sell except Alexei, and there aren't any contenders that need a SS.

If there's something to be disappointed about, it's that all of the guys that could have been good pieces had horrible seasons.

But it's not all bad -- we do have good players, after all, it's just that we've done a good job at locking them up contractually so that they AREN'T trade bait. I forget which podcast I was listening to, but the speaker was making an argument that it was a very weak buyer's market by listing the types of guys that were realistically available, team by team. When he got to the White Sox, he said, "You can have any White Sock (sic) you want -- except the good ones." And I think there's a lot of truth in that.

I remember writing that Hahn had the easy part of the rebuild done. He traded pieces that had value for other younger pieces that had value. The hard part was always going to be finishing the job. Hahn badly needed Beckham to show he had value , same goes for Paulino, De Aza, Viciedo and Davidson but they all failed and he couldn't trade any value without just creating another hole.

All he can do now is hope that some of these guys show some value real soon . He might as well keep Danks but I'm pretty sure he'll be looking to save as much money as he can on Dunn's salary if he can find a taker. Beckham might as well keep being Beckham so it'll be easier to dispose of him and not give us any false hope. Sierra will probably be seeing a lot more AB's now since Viciedo and De Aza wet the bed in order to see if he can fill a hole.Get DUnn gone and hope Wilkins hits the crap out of the ball for the rest of the season or ,God forbid ,signing Dunn again might be on the horizon.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
I remember writing that Hahn had the easy part of the rebuild done. He traded pieces that had value for other younger pieces that had value. The hard part was always going to be finishing the job. Hahn badly needed Beckham to show he had value , same goes for Paulino, De Aza, Viciedo and Davidson but they all failed and he couldn't trade any value without just creating another hole.

QFT

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
QFT

The last post I read was yours before I wrote mine and much to my surprise TUC, Chisoxfn, caulfield and even Wite with his joke about resigning Dunn all pretty much said what I said with minor differences. Everyone sucked balls but unlike TUC I think Dunn has been better this year than any of the previous yrs. Of course , he needs a new contract so maybe he's trying a little bit harder so I'm not as disappointed with him as I am all the other suckees.

I also think moving Danks isn't all that important. He's still got multiple years on that contract and teams just don't bite on that any more unless you're near elite level. So might as well keep him starting and maybe through some miracle he re-establishes himself. Sierra, Wilkins, Semien, Micah, Sanchez bring em on and let's get this party started !

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
The last post I read was yours before I wrote mine and much to my surprise TUC, Chisoxfn, caulfield and even Wite with his joke about resigning Dunn all pretty much said what I said with minor differences. Everyone sucked balls but unlike TUC I think Dunn has been better this year than any of the previous yrs. Of course , he needs a new contract so maybe he's trying a little bit harder so I'm not as disappointed with him as I am all the other suckees.

I also think moving Danks isn't all that important. He's still got multiple years on that contract and teams just don't bite on that any more unless you're near elite level. So might as well keep him starting and maybe through some miracle he re-establishes himself. Sierra, Wilkins, Semien, Micah, Sanchez bring em on and let's get this party started !

Dunn is better because the big mistake the Sox made, bringing back Konerko, has kept him from hitting more often vs. LHP.

The actual disappointment will occur if and when we're needlessly subjected to continued everyday AB's for Beckham and Dunn, and losing the opportunity to learn more about the big league viability of numerous prospects.

All for the hope of face-saving scraps.

So just move on quickly from this scenario and I'll be Ok with it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)

Yeah it Sucks. And it goes back to last year with Rios, Crain etc. And this year's possible trade pieces like Jones going down before building that 1st-year-closer value.

The team has had horrible luck and timing, on top of some bad choices and frightening performances from the group of guys we'd like to move, and the trade deadline has not yielded as many great chances for improvement as they may have needed.

RH will need to get creative.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Dunn is better because the big mistake the Sox made, bringing back Konerko, has kept him from hitting more often vs. LHP.

I was going to say he's not facing lefties as much and yes its because The Mascot is still here but pretty much any RH hitter could've accomplished that .

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
Yeah it Sucks. And it goes back to last year with Rios, Crain etc. And this year's possible trade pieces like Jones going down before building that 1st-year-closer value.

The team has had horrible luck and timing, on top of some bad choices and frightening performances from the group of guys we'd like to move, and the trade deadline has not yielded as many great chances for improvement as they may have needed.

RH will need to get creative.

And creative in this instance means spend some money because if he keeps hoping for miracles it's more of Sale's and Abreu's best years down the tubes.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 16s

Rick Hahn said #WhiteSox were working on 3-team deal to get someone they've long targeted on Thurs. No other details provided.

Any guesses?

I wonder if this is the reason Yasmani Grandal was pulled on Thursday and nothing came of it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 04:57 AM)
Not totally. I feel like it's not in the cards to make a run this year either way. Here are guys I despise with my comments on them not getting moved.

• Dunn - I didn't expect anybody to take him, so how can I be mad? It's destined that he finish the string with the Sox. Will be interesting to see who replaces him at DH. I guess it'll be Viciedo, unless ...

• Viciedo - I believed the rumors and thought maybe Seattle would want him, or maybe even KC. Not thrilled about him going to KC cause you just know he'd feast on Sox pitching. s***, 19 games vs the Sox per season? He hits .450 vs. the Sox it could affect his career! You know he'd be just like Chen, Guthrie, valuable pretty much only because of his performance vs. the Sox. So we keep him and see if he can figure it out. ...

• Beckham - I believed the Frisco rumors and hoped Sox would get two minor leaguers for him. I don't think he'll be with the Sox next year, so whatever.

• DeAza - I figured nobody in their right minds would trade for him, so not disappointed.

• Relievers - I would have been happy had any one of those guys got traded, but again, there's no value out in the pen so no surprise.

Guys whom I don't despise and glad they are still here . ...

• Danks - I like Danks and am glad he's still a Sox. I really don't care about the payroll until it's so high that it actually matters dropping salary. Jerry can pay him just as fans pay all that money for beer and parking.

• Alexei - He's having such a good year. I'm thinking if the Sox ever hope to contend again, they need a ss at least as good as Lexi. Trading him now would have been buzzkill. It really would have hurt the team's chances of sticking close to .500 which will be a nice improvement over last year's 99 losses.

• Q - There's no reason to trade Q. Again, if Hahn isn't lying and he wants to contend without a total rebuild, Sox need the Big 3 lefties of Sale, Q and Danks with Rodon joining the rotation next year with hopefully a free agent righty joining the mix. Or trade Danks if you must and get a suitable righty for him, too.

GO SOX!

Surprised we have a team at all after your un down LOL