Who can find Sox record when leading after 7

caulfield12

when leading after 8 (heading into the 9th), and also tied heading into the 7th, 8th and 9th??

It to be among the five worst in the majors for most of these categories, especially tie games.

I don't think we'll say after this season they SHOULD have made the Wild Card, and certainly the injuries to Lindstrom and Jones were not predicted, but it feels like we had a legit shot to compete if we just had a decent bullpen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
Anyone can find it, it just will take forever. You'd have to go to whitesox.com/schedule and examine every box score. Unless there's an easier way I don't know of.

There is...I just have forgotten which website, baseball-reference, fangraphs, ESPN, mlb.com, etc.

Not including today's game:

Leading at start of 7: 38-8

Tied at start of 7: 10-9

Leading at start of 8: 43-7

Tied at start of 8 8: 7-7

Leading at start of 9: 47-6

Tied at start of 9: 4-4

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-ind...amp;team_id=CHW

No good way to compare teams, as far as I can tell, except to just look at each team's page. From a look at about 10 teams, we certainly are at or near worst with lead at start of innings 8 and 9. Ninth is our worst (no big surprise there).

We also seem to be a bit better than many teams at winning games when losing late and our performance when tied isn't particularly bad. Last year, we were better with leads in the ninth but no better with leads in the eighth, a bunch worse with lead in the seventh, and a bunch worse in tie games.

Can't find the record, don't really know what the scenario is, and I don't think it's strictly bullpen, but mlb.com has a late/close split and the sox rank 2nd to last with a 5.17 era. Their Whip in said split is 1.62, which is dead last.

Wanna get this out there and don't wanna limit it to the game thread....Putting all this on Hahn is a little silly. I know I wasn't the only one who really liked what he did with the pen in the offseason. On paper it looked like he did a fairly good job. Bullpen guys, for the most part, are just hit or miss from year to year, and it just so happened that all their guys "missed" and then key pieces, Nate Jones and Matt Lindstrom, got injured.

Edit....I take a really long time posting sometimes lol

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 11:10 PM)
We would probably be right in the wild card race if it wasn't for this bullpen...

We could have gotten to 4.5 back if we would of won

We've basically blown 8 games.

We've had roughly half that number of comebacks in the late innings. Basically, the tie game stats balance out around .500.

It's fair to say we SHOULD be at least 1 but quite realistically 3 or 5 games over .500 right now. 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 games back. Now whether it's worth it for that ONE play-in game?

With Chris Sale and Jose Abreu, quite possibly yes. And it would have been great for the fanbase/excitement/enthusiasm to get back to contending at least 2 seasons before the Cubs.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
We would probably be right in the wild card race if it wasn't for this bullpen...

We could have gotten to 4.5 back if we would of won

8 losses whenleading in the 8th. 6 when leading in the 9th, is pretty poor. I think 3 would be at least average. It is the number of games the DBacks have lost in Addison Reed's save appearances. 3 games better puts you in 2nd place for the final WC .

On the other hand, this doesn't FEEL like a playoff team, not with this pen, the offense completely falling apart after the first 6 weeks....the lack of depth in the starting rotation, the below-average defense, etc.

Really, what player other than Ramirez rates close to one of the best? Eaton's been pretty good, but he'd made a number of mental errors with his throws to home when he should have been holding runners at 2nd and 1st instead.

The baserunning and fundamentals, overall, have been a bit below average but nothing like the abysmal 2013 team.

One has to hope A.Garcia improves and we never have to watch DeAza or Viciedo in the OF again after this year.

Finally, Tyler Flowers has 2 more months to save his starting job or likely become a career back-up.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)
On the other hand, this doesn't FEEL like a playoff team, not with this pen, the offense completely falling apart after the first 6 weeks....the lack of depth in the starting rotation, the below-average defense, etc.

Really, what player other than Ramirez rates close to one of the best? Eaton's been pretty good, but he'd made a number of mental errors with his throws to home when he should have been holding runners at 2nd and 1st instead.

The baserunning and fundamentals, overall, have been a bit below average but nothing like the abysmal 2013 team.

One has to hope A.Garcia improves and we never have to watch DeAza or Viciedo in the OF again after this year.

Finally, Tyler Flowers has 2 more months to save his starting job or likely become a career back-up.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a strange feeling De Aza will hang around longer than we want.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
I was thinking the same thing. I have a strange feeling De Aza will hang around longer than we want.

I don't think they'll count on him being worth his $5.5-$6 million price tag, though he has been quite good the last 2 months. And platooning him might be the best way to go.

Edited by Vance Law