Pick one: Jose Abreu or Chris Sale

witesoxfan

Abreu or Sale  

28 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose one, who would you pick?

• Jose Abreu
    • Chris Sale

I don't like the "helps every day" argument. He does, but he rarely can win you the game. A pitcher requires relatively little assistance to directly and almost completely determine the outcome of a game. And he'll do it every time he pitches. A hitter bats 4 times a game and makes a handful of defensive plays. When he can do too much damage at the plate, they'll walk him. Whether Abreu is at bat when you need a run is a matter of luck. Whether the starting pitcher is pitching when you need to hold the lead is a matter of skill.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
I don't like the "helps every day" argument. He does, but he rarely can win you the game. A pitcher requires relatively little assistance to directly and almost completely determine the outcome of a game. And he'll do it every time he pitches. A hitter bats 4 times a game and makes a handful of defensive plays. When he can do too much damage at the plate, they'll walk him. Whether Abreu is at bat when you need a run is a matter of luck. Whether the starting pitcher is pitching when you need to hold the lead is a matter of skill.

An average hitter gets 10% of his team's PA throughout the season. While an average starting pitcher pitches 13-14% of his teams total innings. The amount of defensive responsibilities a position players has over a pitcher brings that % of impact a little closer. I'd still pick the position player given they frequency they play.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
I chose the position player, but it hurt to do it.

Bottom line is that Sale is a pitcher and because he is a pitcher he could blow up at literally any minute. That's the only reason to choose Abreu.

I picked Abreu too for exactly the same reasons. Take the hitter because the pitcher is a bigger injury risk just by being a pitcher.

Sale makes the choice harder by having a longer track record of stardom, but still, give me Abreu.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
Chicks dig the long ball. I dig chicks. Therefore I dig Abreu. Nutshell.

This is some kind of impeccable logic, and I support this post 100%. As, I am sure, would Sigmund Freud.