Pedro Alvarez

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
Does anyone think Pedro Alvarez could be had in the offseason? He has struggled at 3B recently because he has basically forgotten how to throw and he can't get past it. I'd love Alvarez as the full-time DH.

No. But I think a good trade partner could be Cincinnati. They have a decision to make because their team is getting old, and injury prone. I would try to acquire Jay Bruce and Sean Marshall from them.

I don't think we want to go for a full-time DH at this point, especially not in a guy we'd feel attached to. I think we need to try to acquire more outfielders and platoon/rest them in that spot. The A's are proving that carrying four above average, non-star outfielders creates a ton of flexibility in terms of optimizing matchups and covering injury contingency.

Does anyone think Pedro Alvarez could be had in the offseason? He has struggled at 3B recently because he has basically forgotten how to throw and he can't get past it. I'd love Alvarez as the full-time DH.

Why would the Sox replace Dunn with a guy who (1) would require talent to acquire and (2) has an OPS 100 points worse than Dunn.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
I don't think we want to go for a full-time DH at this point, especially not in a guy we'd feel attached to. I think we need to try to acquire more outfielders and platoon/rest them in that spot. The A's are proving that carrying four above average, non-star outfielders creates a ton of flexibility in terms of optimizing matchups and covering injury contingency.

I support this idea x100

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 06:04 PM)
No. But I think a good trade partner could be Cincinnati. They have a decision to make because their team is getting old, and injury prone. I would try to acquire Jay Bruce and Sean Marshall from them.

Good bye Tim Anderson, Courtney Hawkins, and Tyler Danish.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
The team is going to need to find a LH power bat somewhere. To me the realistic options are re-sign Dunn or buy low on Domonic Brown or LoMo. Alvarez will probably be moved across the diamond after they non-tender Ike Davis.

Greg will have a coronary episode.

You've got Headley, Morrison, Adam Lind, Sandoval, Melky Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Colby Rasmus...not sure about Dave LaRoche. Didn't he sign an extension? Seth Smith did, for sure. Parra's going to be out there.

With how poorly Kendrys Morales has been hitting, he would surely be available.

Morneau, if the Rockies dump Tulo/CarGo/Cuddyer, etc.

It would be interesting to see what type of package it would take to acquire CarGo? The answer is one we probably don't have that doesn't require gutting our minor league system again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 12:12 AM)
I think guys like him have a place on contending teams, but Sox could just resign Dunn and not give anything up.

Why in the heck would Sox re-sign Dunn? He's not been productive. If the Sox want to keep rebuilding and losing they could see if Dunn would DH for 4-5 million a year. What's the purpose though. You get 50 RBIs maybe all year? Stupid.

If you are gonna do that, sign another plodder, Billy Butler for 7 million and see if he can reinvent himself. If not, he's as slow as Paulie and Dunn so we have our next plodder.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 02:24 AM)
Why in the heck would Sox re-sign Dunn? He's not been productive. If the Sox want to keep rebuilding and losing they could see if Dunn would DH for 4-5 million a year. What's the purpose though. You get 50 RBIs maybe all year? Stupid.

If you are gonna do that, sign another plodder, Billy Butler for 7 million and see if he can reinvent himself. If not, he's as slow as Paulie and Dunn so we have our next plodder.

For the umpteenth time, if you can ignore your utter hatred towards Dunn, you would see that he has been productive. Between Dunn hitting well vs RHP, Konerko producing vs LHP, and the occasional DH spell for Abreu, the Sox are 4th in the AL in OPS from the DH position.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 12:49 AM)
Greg will have a coronary episode.

You've got Headley, Morrison, Adam Lind, Sandoval, Melky Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Colby Rasmus...not sure about Dave LaRoche. Didn't he sign an extension? Seth Smith did, for sure. Parra's going to be out there.

With how poorly Kendrys Morales has been hitting, he would surely be available.

Morneau, if the Rockies dump Tulo/CarGo/Cuddyer, etc.

It would be interesting to see what type of package it would take to acquire CarGo? The answer is one we probably don't have that doesn't require gutting our minor league system again.

I am not sure any of those guys are real power options. Lind has a team option that will be exercised. Martinez, Rasmus, and Sandoval will each cost a draft pick. LaRoche is a FA, but he isn't much different than Dunn. Headley is intriguing but I think he will re-sign before he hits FA. Morales will be a FA, but again I am not sure he is an upgrade in anyway.

CarGo is interesting, it would take a deal involving Q as the Rox need high end pitching, and I am not sure that the two sides could match up on a deal.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2014081..._medium=twitter

Scot Gregor speculates that Pedro Alvarez was the White Sox July target.

A trade for a guy like that makes a lot of sense. A guy with huge upside, but failure to perform, like Alvarez, Mike Moustakas, or Dustin Ackley all come to mind.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 02:24 AM)

2014 Adam Dunn: 114 wRC+

2014 Billy Butler: 96 wRC+

Career Adam Dunn: 123 wRC+

Career Billy Butler: 118 wRC+

Sorry, Butler has been a better player then Dunn the past 4 seasons. This year Butler has had a down year though but Butler is a much more complete player then Dunn at the plate. Butler is actually capable of hitting good pitching, something I have pretty much zero faith in Dunn doing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)
If the fans hated Dunn, I don't see them enjoying Alvarez much more.

Except daa. He's loved Alvarez since his Vanderbilt days. I will admit I still remember when he was called the next Pujols and was a big time prospect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
Sorry, Butler has been a better player then Dunn the past 4 seasons. This year Butler has had a down year though but Butler is a much more complete player then Dunn at the plate. Butler is actually capable of hitting good pitching, something I have pretty much zero faith in Dunn doing.

Here's the biggest problem.

Billy Butler would likely be unable to do any of those things if he hit left handed, which is what the white Sox need to add somewhere in the middle of this order.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)

The Sox also have plenty of right handed hitting. The call has been to make sure the Sox have a left handed bat. Why would they bring in Butler if they need a left handed bat?

I'm not opposed to Butler and agree he's been a better player the past 4 years, but, production wise, it's remarkably similar the past 2 years, so the sample you use comes into play here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
The Sox also have plenty of right handed hitting. The call has been to make sure the Sox have a left handed bat. Why would they bring in Butler if they need a left handed bat?

I'm not opposed to Butler and agree he's been a better player the past 4 years, but, production wise, it's remarkably similar the past 2 years, so the sample you use comes into play here.

I've said it many times but your offense is going to struggle mightily when the run producer in the middle hits under .230. Butler will not do that and while we could use a lefty, I'd rather have good hitters then nothing. Billy Butler on this team is an upgrade over Adam Dunn. Is he a FA? If Sox made a move for him, they'd have to think he would rebound though because he has been flat out mediocre this year.

So given the choice of Adam Dunn or Billy Butler for next year at DH, I'm taking Billy Butler. Now if money is significantly different you might get another answer but under zero scenario do I want Dunn around. Guy is a loser.