White Sox pitching

oldsox

Much has been said here recently about the 2014 pitching staff. It needs help next year. Free Agency will be discussed in off season, but you can't count on that as a savior for next year. Even though most of Sox better pitching prospects are in lower minors (W-S on down) there are several at Charlotte and Birminghame who will probably be given serious consideration sometime in 2015. Alphabetically, they include

Bassitt, Beck, Blough, Bucciferro, Casey, Fuentes, Recchia, Snodgrass, Vance.

The following roster pitchers probably don't figure to be in the mix

Belisario, Guerra, Jones, Lindstrom, Paulino, Rienzo, Surkamp, Thompson.

I didn't include Rodon, only because he is still at W-S. I don't know where I'm going with this, just looking for some positive comments on Sox pitching next year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
Much has been said here recently about the 2014 pitching staff. It needs help next year. Free Agency will be discussed in off season, but you can't count on that as a savior for next year. Even though most of Sox better pitching prospects are in lower minors (W-S on down) there are several at Charlotte and Birminghame who will probably be given serious consideration sometime in 2015. Alphabetically, they include

I didn't include Rodon, only because he is still at W-S. I don't know where I'm going with this, just looking for some positive comments on Sox pitching next year.

Sale and Q will still be here. You're welcome.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)

Hopefully the Sox figure out what is wrong with Erik Johnson before the start of next season, because he has been by far the biggest disappointment this year IMO. If they can somehow fix him, which is a huge question mark, it would do wonders to our rotation next year. Unfortunately, we can't count on him being anything more than competition for the #5 spot right now.

The only good news is that three of our four best pitching prospects could start 2015 in AA. Rodon will probably be ready for the majors at some point next year, and it's not out of the realm of possibility for Danish or Montas to force their way into the big league as well. We still need to add a veteran #2/#3 starter this offseason, but at least we got some interesting arms coming soon.

I'll take a shot at the opening day staff next season. 12 is the most likely number.

Starting Rotation: Sale, Quintana, Noesi, Danks, Carroll or filler

Bullpen: Petricka, Webb, Guerra, Surkamp, Leesman, Rienzo, Putnam and possibly an offseason addition or two. A couple of these guys could be in AAA if free agents are signed.

I also doubt Rodon will be on the team to start the season. Just don't see them rushing him up like they did with Sale. Signed late and I think he's going to need more time in the minors. He will be called up at some point during the season but I doubt straight out of camp.

QUOTE (wardo @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:49 AM)
I'll take a shot at the opening day staff next season. 12 is the most likely number.

Starting Rotation: Sale, Quintana, Noesi, Danks, Carroll or filler

Bullpen: Petricka, Webb, Guerra, Surkamp, Leesman, Rienzo, Putnam and possibly an offseason addition or two. A couple of these guys could be in AAA if free agents are signed.

I also doubt Rodon will be on the team to start the season. Just don't see them rushing him up like they did with Sale. Signed late and I think he's going to need more time in the minors. He will be called up at some point during the season but I doubt straight out of camp.

If that is next year's starting rotation, Hahn should be looking to share an apartment with Kevin Towers because they should both be out of a job. They need to add a top 3 guy. There's been a lot of speculation on Shields but he's getting up there in age and there's not a lot on the FA market unless the Sox want to look at Masterson or Ervin Santana. I highly doubt they get into the market for Scherzer. It will be interesting to see who actually hits the market. There are some good options that have club/player options that we'll have to wait and see if they are exercised.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:32 AM)
If that is next year's starting rotation, Hahn should be looking to share an apartment with Kevin Towers because they should both be out of a job. They need to add a top 3 guy. There's been a lot of speculation on Shields but he's getting up there in age and there's not a lot on the FA market unless the Sox want to look at Masterson or Ervin Santana. I highly doubt they get into the market for Scherzer. It will be interesting to see who actually hits the market. There are some good options that have club/player options that we'll have to wait and see if they are exercised.

Agreed that Carroll must NOT, at any point, be a part of the "plan" for a Major league pitching staff. Carroll is the type of thing that "happens" top a staff when a couple things go wrong.

They won't and shouldn't outbid everyone on Scherzer or Shields. It's jsut not real good year to big on pitching in free agency. If we make a significant addition to the staff (as in not a reclamation project or flier), IMO it will come via trade.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)

There are a lot of pitchers in the second part of that list who do figure to be in the mix. Probably not Belisario, Jones (due to injury), Lindstrom, or Paulino, but the others will still be there.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 01:23 AM)
Erik Johnson is toast. Do yourselves a favor and give up on him.

You don't just give up on guys with the numbers he put up in the minors leagues because he has a bad year. You figure out why he had a bad year and go from there.

I imagine going into next season the staff looks like:

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP FA - Masterson ?

SP Danks

SP Noesi

Pretty solid starting staff, nothing exceptional but enough to keep the team in every game

LR Surkamp

MR - Leesman

MR Putnam

LOOGY - FA- Mijares?

SU Webb

CP - FA trade fodder - Perez, Johnson, Bailey?

Jones is likely to miss all of next season and will slide in after that.

I think in August the staff looks more like

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP FA - Masterson/Volquez ?

SP Rodon

SP Noesi

LR - Surkamp

MR - Leesman

MR - Putnam

LOOGY - Snodgress

SU - Goldberg

CP - Webb

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 12:23 AM)
Erik Johnson is toast. Do yourselves a favor and give up on him.

You may well be right, but wha happin??? Mystery of the entire season for this fan - hoping for a still as yet-undiagnosed injury to emerge. I'm sure many of us are in this camp.

I see Bassitt, Beck and Recchia being in the possible mix for BOR positions, if not out of ST, by the June timeframe. The guy who will be the best bargain, for the smallest commitment, on the FA market this offseason just might be Kuroda. Don't know how locked into the Yankees he is, but I want him.

Granted, HK doesn't fit with our idea of Hahn's grand plan, but I think the plan might benefit from a short-term rejigger - more on that after the non-waiver trades pass and we're locked into the offseason.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
So you leave out Petricka, who has probably been our best arm in the pen and is probably one of the rare locks for next season (maybe Putnam as well) and list the other crap? I'm going to assume you just forgot about him. :P

Yes, thanks for the catch.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:03 AM)

Positive Comments? ;) You won't find them here I am afraid :lol:

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
There will likely be one or two free agents thrown into the mix, at least one (maybe both) of the Felipe Paulino/Rich Harden ilk. I'd be shocked if we go big this year on FA signings unless the team really finishes exceptionally strong.

Why do you think this? We signed Abreu last offseason and tried to go even bigger with Tanaka.

Hahn is going to spend money if he finds the right fits. He's just not going to sign aging veterans to extremely long deals.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
Why do you think this? We signed Abreu last offseason and tried to go even bigger with Tanaka.

Hahn is going to spend money if he finds the right fits. He's just not going to sign aging veterans to extremely long deals.

Tanaka and Abreu were big exceptions to the usual free agent rules. Both were younger than the typical free agent, and had top of the heap stuff for their relative positions. Abreu ended up being a HUGE discount to what the market on him would be now. Tanaka ended up being WAY more expensive than anyone else though, and signed a typical big free agent pitcher contract, which is why the Sox didn't have much of a chance there. I'd be curious to hear their final offer, to really get a good idea of how realistic they ever were in their pursuit of Tanaka.

The guys you are going to see on the FA market now aren't going to see those kind of bargains relative to their talent level. I don't see a Jose Abreu on the market this year. I could see the Sox jumping in if one of the FA pitchers they like sees their price fall into the bargain range, but I see zero chance at the Sox paying full FA price for a top level starting pitcher. If they wanted to do it, there is a really good chance that Tanaka would be here now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Tanaka and Abreu were big exceptions to the usual free agent rules. Both were younger than the typical free agent, and had top of the heap stuff for their relative positions. Abreu ended up being a HUGE discount to what the market on him would be now. Tanaka ended up being WAY more expensive than anyone else though, and signed a typical big free agent pitcher contract, which is why the Sox didn't have much of a chance there. I'd be curious to hear their final offer, to really get a good idea of how realistic they ever were in their pursuit of Tanaka.

The guys you are going to see on the FA market now aren't going to see those kind of bargains relative to their talent level. I don't see a Jose Abreu on the market this year. I could see the Sox jumping in if one of the FA pitchers they like sees their price fall into the bargain range, but I see zero chance at the Sox paying full FA price for a top level starting pitcher. If they wanted to do it, there is a really good chance that Tanaka would be here now.

This years Abreu/Tanaka seem to be Yasmani Tomas and Kenta Maeda.....Wonder if they'll be in on 1 or both of those guys.

Maeda scares me a lot though.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)

Because I don't see any good fits in the class this year. Tanaka/Abreu, as SS2k5 said, were different because they are so young and full of "contract upside" -- their prices were theoretically limited by the risk of them not performing in a new environment.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
Because I don't see any good fits in the class this year. Tanaka/Abreu, as SS2k5 said, were different because they are so young and full of "contract upside" -- their prices were theoretically limited by the risk of them not performing in a new environment.

Tanaka and Abreu both had years of hype and the reputations of being the BEST of their respective countries. I haven't seen that with this crop of out of the country players.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
This years Abreu/Tanaka seem to be Yasmani Tomas and Kenta Maeda.....Wonder if they'll be in on 1 or both of those guys.

Maeda scares me a lot though.

They are not on the same scale. Tomas is bascially a younger version of Viciedo and Maeda is more of a back of the rotation guy. There are just not the same echelon of players available this season (yet).

Obviously I'm biased since I'm his older brother, but I think Scotty (Carroll) could be an effective middle reliever. I think the role suits him, and his bullpen stint this year was a good experience.

By the way, love the enthusiasm for the Sox on this board. My brother may not be an all-star, or even a solid rotation guy, but he's a good dude who doesn't take himself too seriously. I think that's why some people have become fans of his. Like south-siders, he's a grinder whose persistence paid off. And maybe a little luck helped as well with so many guys going down earlier this year! :D

I've really enjoyed my trips to the Cell this year to watch him pitch. Well, except for that Cubs game. That sucked. He felt awful after that game.

QUOTE (MU Mike @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Obviously I'm biased since I'm his older brother, but I think Scotty (Carroll) could be an effective middle reliever. I think the role suits him, and his bullpen stint this year was a good experience.

By the way, love the enthusiasm for the Sox on this board. My brother may not be an all-star, or even a solid rotation guy, but he's a good dude who doesn't take himself too seriously. I think that's why some people have become fans of his. Like south-siders, he's a grinder whose persistence paid off. And maybe a little luck helped as well with so many guys going down earlier this year! :D

I've really enjoyed my trips to the Cell this year to watch him pitch. Well, except for that Cubs game. That sucked. He felt awful after that game.

Welcome to Soxtalk!!

Awesome to see more family members come on here and give us some insight.. I love Carroll and I think he is a great clubhouse guy and defiantly can be serviceable on the MLB club.. He has surprised me and a lot of us so far this year and he is someone I will continue to root for.. Love underdog stories

QUOTE (MU Mike @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)

Scott might not ever make it on a big league club for a long time, but I love players like him. He seems to love the game, and be a great teammate and guy to be around. I wish him all of the luck in the world.

And welcome to Soxtalk!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
Welcome to Soxtalk!!

Awesome to see more family members come on here and give us some insight.. I love Carroll and I think he is a great clubhouse guy and defiantly can be serviceable on the MLB club.. He has surprised me and a lot of us so far this year and he is someone I will continue to root for.. Love underdog stories

Thanks! I look forward to participating.