White Sox pitching

oldsox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)
Scott might not ever make it on a big league club for a long time, but I love players like him. He seems to love the game, and be a great teammate and guy to be around. I wish him all of the luck in the world.

And welcome to Soxtalk!

Appreciate it! My hope is he'll continue to evolve (like learning a cutter) and find a way to stick around for a few years.

QUOTE (MU Mike @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Obviously I'm biased since I'm his older brother, but I think Scotty (Carroll) could be an effective middle reliever. I think the role suits him, and his bullpen stint this year was a good experience.

By the way, love the enthusiasm for the Sox on this board. My brother may not be an all-star, or even a solid rotation guy, but he's a good dude who doesn't take himself too seriously. I think that's why some people have become fans of his. Like south-siders, he's a grinder whose persistence paid off. And maybe a little luck helped as well with so many guys going down earlier this year! :D

I've really enjoyed my trips to the Cell this year to watch him pitch. Well, except for that Cubs game. That sucked. He felt awful after that game.

He's definitely an underdog, but it's easy to root for guys like that. He reminds me a lot of Josh Fogg, and Fogg carved out a hell of a career and made some money in the process too.

QUOTE (MU Mike @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
Appreciate it! My hope is he'll continue to evolve (like learning a cutter) and find a way to stick around for a few years.

So give us all of the dirt... Scott was a bedwetter wasn't he? ;) After all that is what brothers are for!

In his second stint starting this year he has actually has been a decent starter. 4.43 ERA and 3.65 FIP in that span is worthy of a rotation spot (esp considering he plays in an AL band box). Many here of course dont like him because he doesn't light up a radar gun, but he has a knack for creating outs. The league had a chance to figure him out and turn him into a batting tee and it hasn't happened.

Erik Johnson, who lasted a month in the bigs and has gotten shelled in Charlotte ever since, will get more love. Same goes for John Danks, who has been worse than Carroll this year and costs $14.5m. As long as Carroll holds the course for the rest of the year there is absolutely no reason to disregard him in the 2015 plans at least as a spot starter/long man.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
So give us all of the dirt... Scott was a bedwetter wasn't he? ;) After all that is what brothers are for!

LOL! Never wet the bed, he was always a good kid. Being 11 years older than him, it was almost like being an uncle as I got older. He would stay with my wife and me, borrow money, eat our food, and generally invite girls over as often as he could.

I think he has a future in the broadcast booth or other similar career after he's done!

QUOTE (MU Mike @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
LOL! Never wet the bed, he was always a good kid. Being 11 years older than him, it was almost like being an uncle as I got older. He would stay with my wife and me, borrow money, eat our food, and generally invite girls over as often as he could.

I think he has a future in the broadcast booth or other similar career after he's done!

In all seriousness, I totally agree with the last thought. Dude has a great personality.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
In his second stint starting this year he has actually has been a decent starter. 4.43 ERA and 3.65 FIP in that span is worthy of a rotation spot (esp considering he plays in an AL band box). Many here of course dont like him because he doesn't light up a radar gun, but he has a knack for creating outs. The league had a chance to figure him out and turn him into a batting tee and it hasn't happened.

Erik Johnson, who lasted a month in the bigs and has gotten shelled in Charlotte ever since, will get more love. Same goes for John Danks, who has been worse than Carroll this year and costs $14.5m. As long as Carroll holds the course for the rest of the year there is absolutely no reason to disregard him in the 2015 plans at least as a spot starter/long man.

Erik Johnson destroyed the minors, and if his velocity returns, he should be a good pitcher. I don't know how big that if is at the moment. John Danks also has a history of good pitching performance, but he's been very mediocre since returning from injury. He's also getting paid and you can't just cut that without trying to get some kind of return. That is basic economic thought.

Still, Scotty's definitely in consideration for the plans next year, especially if he continues to pitch well.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)

Fans want the team to be successful. I think everyone has a good perspective on what Carroll is providing. There was quite a bit of applause when Scott Carroll hit the 43 days of service mark.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)

I appreciate the kind words. But I'm realistic as well. Even though I'm his biggest fan with the exception of our mom, he struggles sometimes and needs to be more reliable if he's going to get a shot next year in someone's rotation.

Unfortunately he's a pitch-to-contact guy and when those balls are being pounded in the dirt, he's effective. If not, it can get ugly!

QUOTE (MU Mike @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
I appreciate the kind words. But I'm realistic as well. Even though I'm his biggest fan with the exception of our mom, he struggles sometimes and needs to be more reliable if he's going to get a shot next year in someone's rotation.

Unfortunately he's a pitch-to-contact guy and when those balls are being pounded in the dirt, he's effective. If not, it can get ugly!

Still, guys like that can carve out good careers and can make some good money. Jon Garland threw a bit harder, but that's the kind of profile Scott fits. Same as Josh Fogg. And I'm sure given the personality, he'll do whatever it takes to get and stay on the club, even if it's as a swing man type of guy.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
Why do you think this? We signed Abreu last offseason and tried to go even bigger with Tanaka.

Hahn is going to spend money if he finds the right fits. He's just not going to sign aging veterans to extremely long deals.

I am with you on this. If you look at the fastest way to make the biggest improvement to next year's team, it's to add the best right-handed starting pitcher we can stomach giving a contract to. We are 12th in the AL in starting pitching this year. How many wins would we add with, for example, James Shields instead of the 5th man carousel? There is no one in AAA knocking down the door for a rotation spot.

Add a left handed outfield bat that is better than De Aza and a bullpen arm or two and the team could/should be in the mix for a wild card and believing they can compete and win without the pressure/expectation that they have to win this season. That's a good spot to be in.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
I am with you on this. If you look at the fastest way to make the biggest improvement to next year's team, it's to add the best right-handed starting pitcher we can stomach giving a contract to. We are 12th in the AL in starting pitching this year. How many wins would we add with, for example, James Shields instead of the 5th man carousel? There is no one in AAA knocking down the door for a rotation spot.

Add a left handed outfield bat that is better than De Aza and a bullpen arm or two and the team could/should be in the mix for a wild card and believing they can compete and win without the pressure/expectation that they have to win this season. That's a good spot to be in.

100% agree with this. And quite frankly, I think wasting another year of a cheap and healthy Sale/Quintana pairing would be foolish. One of those guys could go down with injury at any time, so now that we have some semblance of an offensive core we shouldn't be waiting on internal candidates to fill all the remaining holes. Obviously we shouldn't do anything stupid, but waiting another full season before signing decent free agents would be a huge mistake IMO. This team is pretty close to being legit if Rodon lives up to the hype.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
100% agree with this. And quite frankly, I think wasting another year of a cheap and healthy Sale/Quintana pairing would be foolish. One of those guys could go down with injury at any time, so now that we have some semblance of an offensive core we shouldn't be waiting on internal candidates to fill all the remaining holes. Obviously we shouldn't do anything stupid, but waiting another full season before signing decent free agents would be a huge mistake IMO. This team is pretty close to being legit if Rodon lives up to the hype.

My thought too. We aren't waiting for Abreu, or Eaton or Gillaspie to develop. Really we're hoping they don't regress much or get hurt, all while still breaking in Avisail and a rookie second baseman. With the payroll as low as it is I hope we add a couple/few proven guys who will do the job in the next 3 years while more of our farmhands move up the ranks.

QUOTE (MU Mike @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Obviously I'm biased since I'm his older brother, but I think Scotty (Carroll) could be an effective middle reliever. I think the role suits him, and his bullpen stint this year was a good experience.

By the way, love the enthusiasm for the Sox on this board. My brother may not be an all-star, or even a solid rotation guy, but he's a good dude who doesn't take himself too seriously. I think that's why some people have become fans of his. Like south-siders, he's a grinder whose persistence paid off. And maybe a little luck helped as well with so many guys going down earlier this year! :D

I've really enjoyed my trips to the Cell this year to watch him pitch. Well, except for that Cubs game. That sucked. He felt awful after that game.

Welcome to the board! I hope Scott feels proud of what he's accomplished even if he doesn't stick as a starter. He may not be Pedro Martinez, but he's still one of the best baseball players on Earth. You have to be pretty special to be useful at the ML level at all.

This organization is woefully devoid of pitching depth.

Nothing in the upper minors; and on the majors, there may be 1/2 a staff (and out of that 1/2, 2 are really good and the rest are no better than average).

This can't be cured with a couple of fA signings.

this roster needs to be churned...too bad zero got done at the deadline.

Edited by GreenSox