8/6 Games

BigHurt3515

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
Avi with a hit. Phegley with a 2 run double. Wilkins walks in his 2nd AB. Sanchez and Semien both had hits their 1st AB's.

We need to get some of these guys up to the big league club.. These guys have been hitting the s*** out of the ball

I'm a big fan of what Hahn has done since he too over but for the life of me I cannot fathom why Gordon, Dunn and one of Viciedo/De Aza haven't been DFAd.

Marcus and Sanchez have nothing left to prove at Charlotte, especially Marcus. Wilkins should be called up as well I don't care what his prospect status is he's creaming the ball might as well see if he can translate it to the MLB.

We seriously need to see Avi in RF, Semien at 2B and Wilkins at DH. Likely Wilkins will struggle, but you gotta at least see if he can be an ML bat. I'd rather he get 150 at-bats down the stretch than Dunn. Let's face it, our pitching is not good enough to win the second Wild Card. Rather let the youngster play and see if we can count on them in the future (obviously not including Garcia in the see if we can count on them players).

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
My guess is Hahn is still trying to see if any team will take Beckham, ADA, Viciedo, or Dunn on waivers.

Hell, give it up. Just accept the salary as a sunk cost and start getting these youngsters some MLB playing time. The upside is you save a couple million but it's not even worth it imo.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)
if they were put through waivers we should have heard from now

I'm guessing they were put through already and not claimed. If they were somehow claimed, you would hear something. If they just passed through unclaimed, I doubt it would be news.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:06 PM)
Hell, give it up. Just accept the salary as a sunk cost and start getting these youngsters some MLB playing time. The upside is you save a couple million but it's not even worth it imo.

It could conceivably save money in the future, too. Let's say Wilkins hits for an .800 OPS in the Majors this year in a decent number of at-bats, you could envision a scenario where the Sox feel comfortable having him as their 2015 DH for $500,000 over someone slightly better at $7-8 million.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)
Avi doubles.. 2-3, batting .556 now

Avi is pretty much what Viciedo was supposed to be. A guy that can spray the ball all over and hit 280-300 in MLB while developing power. Tragically, Viciedo hasn't even hit 270, let alone developed any real power.

In like 300 MLB PA Avi has a 287 average. He might never take a lot of walks or hit more than 25 HR a year, but he will hit for average and that is valuable in today's craptastic offensive environment.