It's about that time of the year again...

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 03:17 AM)
A #8 overall pick that spends 6 years in the majors is not a complete bust, not even close.

The only reason it feels that way is because he set the bar so damn high by how quickly he made the majors, and how great he was his rookie year. He was disappointing, absolutely, but he wasn't a busted draft pick, otherwise you could argue 99% of the draft picks are busts.

Tim Beckham, he was a bust. Kyle Skipworth, he is a bust. Both of them taken ahead of Beckham that draft.

I agree with this. We can call Beckham a bust, but not a complete bust. He did contribute positive value at the MLB level which is more than many #8 picks before him can say.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we get the 7th pick?

I count only 6 teams worse than us: Boston, Minnesota, Houston, Texas, Colorado and Arizona.

We're tied with Philly and the Cubs, but our record was worse than both last season, so we should win the tiebreaker.

Isn't that right?

QUOTE (VAfan @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)

I count only 6 teams worse than us: Boston, Minnesota, Houston, Texas, Colorado and Arizona.

We're tied with Philly and the Cubs, but our record was worse than both last season, so we should win the tiebreaker.

Isn't that right?

Due to Houston failing to sign Brady Aiken first overall, they are compensated with the #2 pick in this year's draft. And, while it will likely have some effect on who the Sox are able to draft, it will have less than normally as Houston cannot fail to sign their player with the 2nd pick as they will not be compensated moving forward. Thus, they really have to make sure that the #2 pick is an easily signable player and, knowing Houston's (somewhat) savvy front office, they will likely draft someone way underslot to assure that they sign them and reallocate some money elsewhere.

Isn't that right?

Houston also has a compensation pick that will be before us based on not signing Aiken this year.

Isn't that right?

Astros didn't sign Aiken in 2014, so they get the 2nd pick as a "bonus" next year. Everyone else gets pushed back.

Hope you enjoyed reading it three times in a row!

Edited by shysocks

Isn't that right?

Houston didn't sign their top draft pick this year, so they were awarded the #2 pick as compensation

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
Question. wasn't there a change in the draft where teams can trade

their draft picks, with first round being protected?

am I thinking of the int'l draft or comp rounds?

Some of the low revenue teams + the Cardinals for some reason are granted extra picks after the comp round as "Competitive Balance Picks" and those picks can be traded.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:53 AM)
I have been giving this some thought, but if Robin Ventura were no longer the manager of the team, I would want the Sox to hire Bo Porter. I really liked what he did with the Astros and he should still be managing the team.

I think you should give it some more thought.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 05:53 AM)
I have been giving this some thought listening to Hawk, but if Robin Ventura were no longer the manager of the team, I would want the Sox to hire Bo Porter. I really liked what he did with the Astros and he should still be managing the team.