It's about that time of the year again...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 04:36 AM)
1) No

2) For someone that talks about the good ol' days a lot, there sure were a lot of fights in your schools. Shameful.

3) People have more common sense than to fight about Sox vs. Cubs in school or, you know, anywhere. Otherwise we get cases like the now crippled Giants fan who was assaulted at a Dodgers game.

4) When both teams are crap, the arguments tended to swing more towards "Well, we're less awful than you."

nah, I am with Greg on this one. I grew up in the 60's esp when sCrubsi had the so called magic,

that they couldn't do no wrong. try imagine being the only sox fan on the block. I never ever

thought of changing so I can be with the so called cool kids. I hate the sCrubs and that is why

I will never change the way I call them that. I took on all comers who wanted to instill their will on

me of changing teams.

but you guys have to remember, children / young kids can do things that will make people scratch

their head.

Edited by LDF

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 04:36 AM)
1) No

2) For someone that talks about the good ol' days a lot, there sure were a lot of fights in your schools. Shameful.

3) People have more common sense than to fight about Sox vs. Cubs in school or, you know, anywhere. Otherwise we get cases like the now crippled Giants fan who was assaulted at a Dodgers game.

4) When both teams are crap, the arguments tended to swing more towards "Well, we're less awful than you."

1.) No? Please expound.

2.) South side of Chicago? In Mt. Greenwood? Of course there were fights. All the time. And if you got bloodied parents didn't go crying to the other person's parents.

3.) Little kids can't do that kind of damage one-on-one. Generally speaking anyway. Once somebody gets in a punch that hurts the fight ends pretty quickly.

4.) I guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
1.) No? Please expound.

2.) South side of Chicago? In Mt. Greenwood? Of course there were fights. All the time. And if you got bloodied parents didn't go crying to the other person's parents.

3.) Little kids can't do that kind of damage one-on-one. Generally speaking anyway. Once somebody gets in a punch that hurts the fight ends pretty quickly.

4.) I guess.

Nobody says "We suck worse so we're better because we get a higher draft pick." The posters on this board are more knowledgable and understand the [slight] benefit of having a worse record when it comes to draft time. Nobody in school would argue anything along those lines.

The Cubs did pick right before the Sox 2 years in a row when the Sox had to rebuild in the 80s.

They took Mike Harkey, the Sox had to settle for Jack McDowell (This was luck, as I read an article about Al Goldis several years ago, and the Sox really did want Harkey.

The next year, they drafted The Ty Griffin. The Sox had to settle for The Boy Wonder, Robin Ventura.

This isn't the NBA. You still needs a lot more luck in the MLB draft, even when drafting high, and you can always make your allocation work out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
The Cubs did pick right before the Sox 2 years in a row when the Sox had to rebuild in the 80s.

They took Mike Harkey, the Sox had to settle for Jack McDowell (This was luck, as I read an article about Al Goldis several years ago, and the Sox really did want Harkey.

The next year, they drafted The Ty Griffin. The Sox had to settle for The Boy Wonder, Robin Ventura.

This isn't the NBA. You still needs a lot more luck in the MLB draft, even when drafting high, and you can always make your allocation work out.

I've seen you mention a few times that the Sox really liked Jeff Jackson in '89 too, especially as a hometown boy, but the Phillies snagged him at 4, three picks ahead of the Sox, and they had to settle for Frank Thomas.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
I've seen you mention a few times that the Sox really liked Jeff Jackson in '89 too, especially as a hometown boy, but the Phillies snagged him at 4, three picks ahead of the Sox, and they had to settle for Frank Thomas.

I also feel like scouting would be a bit more improved today.

Now we wait for someone to bring up Mike Trout because someone looking like an all time great at age 22 isn't an anomaly at all.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)

Yes and no. It's hard to deny that it's improved and I think the productivity of the top 10 and top 15 has improved, but even looking at just last year's draft, we already saw signs of Appel struggling and the #6 pick (Colin Moran) from that draft was already traded. It's definitely not a crapshoot, but much of drafting players is still projecting how they'll develop and grow and then praying that they don't get hurt.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)

Now we wait for someone to bring up Mike Trout because someone looking like an all time great at age 22 isn't an anomaly at all.

One thing that stings about Trout was there were a lot of mock drafts that had the Sox taking him. They went, as they usually do, with the college guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
For my two cents, seeing Avi Garcia succeed is more important to the long term future of the White Sox, versus having a slot or two of a higher pick.

yeah I know, the sox systems needs the prospects to succeed

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)

This is why I haven't been a "tanking" proponent at all this year. If were legitimately in the conversation for top 3, it would be different, but the difference between 6 and 9 or whatever is not even close to as valuable as the breakouts of our current players that might lead to more winning.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
This is why I haven't been a "tanking" proponent at all this year. If were legitimately in the conversation for top 3, it would be different, but the difference between 6 and 9 or whatever is not even close to as valuable as the breakouts of our current players that might lead to more winning.

I really doubt if the sox can over come for the 1 pick. I would be really happy for the 4+ pick. in my

opinion the first 3 are already set with prospects. the question will be if the sox will address their needs

with hs'ers or college prospects.

I still like Ian Happ, but who knows come next spring.

And we are pretty much losing a game on everyone again. We are the only s***ty team winning this week. Ugh.

I'll be REAL REAL upset, and you all should too, if the Sox don't end up with a top 11 pick. We won't be able to use all that money we have on FA without losing our 1st RD draft pick, and that could be a huge blow to rebuilding our system.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
This is why I haven't been a "tanking" proponent at all this year. If were legitimately in conversation for top 3, it would be different, but the difference between 6 and 9 or whatever is not even close to as valuable as the breakouts of our current players that might lead to more winning.

It is as valuable as you get to have a larger bonus pool, and more money to spend on INTL amateur free agents which is extremely valuable. And like Theo Epstein always says, if I am not making the playoffs les loose as many games as possible and get the highest drwft pick possible.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 02:41 AM)
And we are pretty much losing a game on everyone again. We are the only s***ty team winning this week. Ugh.

I'll be REAL REAL upset, and you all should too, if the Sox don't end up with a top 11 pick. We won't be able to use all that money we have on FA without losing our 1st RD draft pick, and that could be a huge blow to rebuilding our system.

Please don't say I should be upset about a draft pick. I am upset when Sox lose, not over some unknown draft pick for gosh sakes. You root for what you want, but please don't tell me to feel upset about something I consider a crapshoot.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 02:45 AM)
Please don't say I should be upset about a draft pick. I am upset when Sox lose, not over some unknown draft pick for gosh sakes. You root for what you want, but please don't tell me to feel upset about something I consider worthless.

So you don't care about draft picks OR signing a top free agent this offseason? Because that's going to be what happens if the Sox end up falling out of the top 11 picks; they won't sign any top free agents. No James Shields, no Victor Martinez, no Russell Martin, no Nelson Cruz, No John Lester.

Basically the Sox could sign Yasmani Tomas and maybe Edison Volquez or Justin Masterson.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)

They still have some cushion. Very little chance the pick becomes unprotected. Even if they wind up ahead of SD and Philly, they'll get the 11th and final protected pick. They're still up 3 1/2 games on Cincy and 4 1/2 on the Mets in that regard - shouldn't be much of an issue.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 03:51 AM)
So you don't care about draft picks OR signing a top free agent this offseason? Because that's going to be what happens if the Sox end up falling out of the top 11 picks; they won't sign any top free agents. No James Shields, no Victor Martinez, no Russell Martin, no Nelson Cruz, No John Lester.

Basically the Sox could sign Yasmani Tomas and maybe Edison Volquez or Justin Masterson.

That's probably going to happen anyway.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 12:05 AM)
It is as valuable as you get to have a larger bonus pool, and more money to spend on INTL amateur free agents which is extremely valuable. And like Theo Epstein always says, if I am not making the playoffs les loose as many games as possible and get the highest drwft pick possible.

Even that has lost its luster as teams like the Yankees just blow the caps out of the water anyway. The Sox don't have much to show for the 3rd biggest pool this year because of it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 02:51 AM)

I would put odds down that the Sox don't sign any of those guys anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 06:47 AM)
I would put odds down that the Sox don't sign any of those guys anyway.

Regardless, it would be nice to have all options available, with minimal penalty. This offseason could unfold a whole lot of different ways.