It's about that time of the year again...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
I would put odds down that the Sox don't sign any of those guys anyway.

Good point. I would be shocked if the White Sox gave up a 1st or 2nd Round pick. In my opinion, the White Sox will not be signing a free agent with a QO attached. Rick Hahn knows the value of draft picks and the full bonus pool allotment.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
So you don't care about draft picks OR signing a top free agent this offseason? Because that's going to be what happens if the Sox end up falling out of the top 11 picks; they won't sign any top free agents. No James Shields, no Victor Martinez, no Russell Martin, no Nelson Cruz, No John Lester.

Basically the Sox could sign Yasmani Tomas and maybe Edison Volquez or Justin Masterson.

No, I really don't. My stance is I want my favorite team to win every game it plays and then at the end of the season see where the team fell and assess the future at that point. I really am not interested in the day to day "what if" draft game. I'd rather the Sox start beating Cleveland, Detroit and KC on a regular basis. As well as Minnie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
No, I really don't. My stance is I want my favorite team to win every game it plays and then at the end of the season see where the team fell and assess the future at that point. I really am not interested in the day to day "what if" draft game. I'd rather the Sox start beating Cleveland, Detroit and KC on a regular basis. As well as Minnie.

And you want them to win a lot of games next season without signing any major free agents, thus relying on the prospects that you don't care about.

That's an interesting line of thinking.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
And you want them to win a lot of games next season without signing any major free agents, thus relying on the prospects that you don't care about.

in a fantasy world, the sox will every game and win every world series. obviously that

will never happen. now what is the org approach to the org. KW approach is to use the farm

systems for trade chips to get the pieces for the main club to win the playoff.

there are faults in that approach and the systems is bare except for a few prospects. how would

Hahn approach be describe as?

there will always be differing opinions on how the org should be run.

Shaping up to be a great night for the Sox, this thread wise. Mets, Phils win, SD, HOU leading. Don't worry yourself HabaneroNoggin, the protected pick is virtually in the bag, and the difference between 7 and 11 may or may not be anything significant at all.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Shaping up to be a great night for the Sox, this thread wise. Mets, Phils win, SD, HOU leading. Don't worry yourself HabaneroNoggin, the protected pick is virtually in the bag, and the difference between 7 and 11 may or may not be anything significant at all.

Ur starting to throw out lingo like tuc....don't become him!

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)

There are ways to build a team that have nothing to do with where the team finishes the year before. Rooting for the Sox to finish as low as possible IMO is counterproductive.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 04:12 AM)
There are ways to build a team that have nothing to do with where the team finishes the year before.

Rooting for the Sox to finish as low as possible IMO is counterproductive.

yeah, I am guilty for rooting for the sox to loose. for me, it is nerving, so to speak, to see a season

lost. the sox is in need to rebuild and is rebuilding. why not to hope for a higher pick to help that

rebuild go faster. last yr picking up Rodon does more to improve the team. in 2015 draft, there is

a difference between a high level prospect and other prospects.

I know I am being foolish, but I would love to see the sox in the playoff every yr.

you know what pisses me off, the sox as far as I know has never picked higher than #3, and yet

for all the failures, the team has managed to be respectful in the overall standings. can you imagine

what it would have been like if the sox were able to pick higher than 5 for several yrs in a row?

I'm not cheering for wins or losses. At this point I'm just trying to enjoy White Sox baseball while it lasts. Its a long off season. No matter what I cheer for it won't affect the outcome one bit so I fail to see the problem with someone who cheers for wins or loses.

When the Sox lose I prefer to look at the bright side which is the potential for a higher draft pick in 2015.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
yeah, I am guilty for rooting for the sox to loose. for me, it is nerving, so to speak, to see a season

lost. the sox is in need to rebuild and is rebuilding. why not to hope for a higher pick to help that

rebuild go faster. last yr picking up Rodon does more to improve the team. in 2015 draft, there is

a difference between a high level prospect and other prospects.

I know I am being foolish, but I would love to see the sox in the playoff every yr.

you know what pisses me off, the sox as far as I know has never picked higher than #3, and yet

for all the failures, the team has managed to be respectful in the overall standings. can you imagine

what it would have been like if the sox were able to pick higher than 5 for several yrs in a row?

They picked Harold Baines #1 overall in 1977.

They also picked HS catcher Danny Goodwin #1 overall in 1971. Goodwin opted for college and was drafted #1 overall four years later by the Angels. He amounted to nothing.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 05:43 AM)

They also picked HS catcher Danny Goodwin #1 overall in 1971. Goodwin opted for college and was drafted #1 overall four years later by the Angels. He amounted to nothing.

And you have aptly described why I do not care about the draft. Just give me wins.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
There are ways to build a team that have nothing to do with where the team finishes the year before. Rooting for the Sox to finish as low as possible IMO is counterproductive.

According to what you've said, the ONLY this team can rebuild and make you happy is to rebuild through trading, which is VERY hard to do when your major league team is full of young players, and your minor league system is bad.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)

yeah you got a point there ;)

I should have used more of a timeline for this point.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 04:25 AM)
According to what you've said, the ONLY this team can rebuild and make you happy is to rebuild through trading, which is VERY hard to do when your major league team is full of young players, and your minor league system is bad.

and when the system is good you create the vicious circle that we have now

This team makes me tear my hair out. This awful season gets even worse with 4 straight meaningless wins, and beating the Twins makes it even worse. This team just continues to kick us in the nuts.

After today's 2 meaningless wins.....

Sox lost games on....every single damn team in baseball. But below are the teams we lost a full 1 and 1/2 games on....

Houston, Colorado, Minnesota, Boston, Padres

The Sox still have the 9th pick, they are 12 GB of the #1 pick, are 5.5 GB of the #5 pick, and are 2.5 games ahead of the Reds for a protected pick.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 02:53 AM)
This team makes me tear my hair out. This awful season gets even worse with 4 straight meaningless wins, and beating the Twins makes it even worse. This team just continues to kick us in the nuts.

Sox lost games on....every single damn team in baseball. But below are the teams we lost a full 1 and 1/2 games on....

The Sox still have the 9th pick, they are 12 GB of the #1 pick, are 5.5 GB of the #5 pick, and are 2.5 games ahead of the Reds for a protected pick.

Those wins though are part of the future, I don't mind that at all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)
And you have aptly described why I do not care about the draft. Just give me wins.

I agree with you. Win the game. It's important to create some kind of positive atmosphere. In the near future having guys like Carroll, avi, semien, etc finish with positives instead of negatives will help the team more. Draft picks are crap shoots. Those guys have already found their ways to the big leagues.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I agree with you. Win the game. It's important to create some kind of positive atmosphere. In the near future having guys like Carroll, avi, semien, etc finish with positives instead of negatives will help the team more. Draft picks are crap shoots. Those guys have already found their ways to the big leagues.

the positive atmosphere as you say will happen in the offseason. everyone in the nation knows that

the sox is rebuilding. the positive atmosphere is more for the fans who needs a reason to spend the

money to buy season tickets. again, that will take care of itself in the offseason.

when Hahn and the sox org, start addressing fa's, the new 40 man protection list, trade, even

int'l fa signing, the hype of how much the team has improve will get everybody excited. I may

fly in for the sox convection b/c I really am seeing a potential of great things happening.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)

All you guys rooting for losses probably play the 'don't pass' line in Craps. No fun.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
Well, today was a good day for us.

We gained a game on....

Houston, Texas, Minnesota, Boston, Arizona.

Sox still have the 9th pick, are 11 GB of the #1 pick, are 5.5 GB of the #5 pick, and are still 2.5 games ahead of the Reds for a protected pick.

Just letting everyone know, I saw an article the other day, and it said that the top 3 in the draft are far superior than everyone else. They said 4 thru 15 are really up for grabs at this point.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 12:03 AM)
Just letting everyone know, I saw an article the other day, and it said that the top 3 in the draft are far superior than everyone else. They said 4 thru 15 are really up for grabs at this point.

yeah I agree, the first 3 are or should make up the 3 pitchers except for the hs ss who may

put himself into the running. the idea situation would be the sox pick #3. but that is a pipedream.