It's about that time of the year again...

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the top 10 pick because I want the highest pick possible. Whether it's protected or not is probably irrelevant. The White Sox won't be signing a free agent with a QO attached even if they get the protected pick. I don't think the franchise is in the position to even give up a 2nd rounder to sign someone and I'd be willing to bet that Rick Hahn agrees.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
It certainly is odd to remember to root for the Red Sox, Astros, AND Cubs.

:lol:

oh man, I laugh at this. maybe I am too darn tired, but I really needed a laugh. I never

took a look at it this way. me, rooting for the sCrubs to win. the irony.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Because Wilkins has been awesome right... I know you hated the idea of keeping Paulie around but it is necessary to bash him every chance you get? You want the highest pick possible and you think Paulie is terrible so shouldn't you be happy when he's playing?

Yes I suppose I should want him to play at this point. Especially against RHP.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Because Wilkins has been awesome right... I know you hated the idea of keeping Paulie around but it is necessary to bash him every chance you get? You want the highest pick possible and you think Paulie is terrible so shouldn't you be happy when he's playing?

I can't even tell if Wilkins has any talent or not at this point. He just looks lost, and with absolutely no confidence at this point. I don't know the kid from Adam, but every time they show his reaction to a pitch or out, he looks like a guy who doesn't think he belongs in the major leagues at this time.

I'd like to see Andy playing as much as possible to see if that really is who is he as a hitter, or if he just needs a shot of confidence. Let Konerko play on his "days", and make sure Wilkins is in against as many RHP as possible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
I can't even tell if Wilkins has any talent or not at this point. He just looks lost, and with absolutely no confidence at this point. I don't know the kid from Adam, but every time they show his reaction to a pitch or out, he looks like a guy who doesn't think he belongs in the major leagues at this time.

I'd like to see Andy playing as much as possible to see if that really is who is he as a hitter, or if he just needs a shot of confidence. Let Konerko play on his "days", and make sure Wilkins is in against as many RHP as possible.

You mean guys aren't always defined for their entire careers by how they look during their first 2.5 weeks in the bigs?

Not possible, I've read our game threads.

Plus whoever that pitcher was last night was terrible.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
Wilkins looks like a guy that sits dead red fastball in AAA but can't recognize or hit a breaking ball or changeup to save his life. Maybe in AAA without advanced scouts and guys that don't have the best command he just sits on fastballs.

He also looks like a guy who's only had 34 plate appearances at the MLB level and has yet to adjust to the speed of the game yet.

I'm not saying he's an answer (nor do I think he is), but writing someone off or coming to a conclusion about their game after 34 plate appearances is, if nothing else, premature.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)

I'm embarrassed to be a Sox fan sometimes because of the negative commends surrounding Konerko. It's like a Bears fan blasting Butkus; it's like a Cub fan blasting Ernie Banks; it's like a Blackhawk fan bashing Bobby Hull. Paul Konerko is everything right with White Sox baseball, case closed. People just wanted him to quit after last year, the first year in a long time he started a major decline. It's so simple nowadays, just retire, just quit, don't see if you can have a bounceback season. Like I've said a million times he has not embarrassed himself yet like say, Pudge Fisk did at the end and Willie Mays at the end, etc.

Also as far as the people who care about draft picks, I told some huge baseball fans about people on this message board wanting the Sox to lose to improve draft stock and ALL OF THEM said, "In baseball? They care about the draft?" They laughed heartily.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
I'm embarrassed to be a Sox fan sometimes because of the negative commends surrounding Konerko. It's like a Bears fan blasting Butkus; it's like a Cub fan blasting Ernie Banks; it's like a Blackhawk fan bashing Bobby Hull. Paul Konerko is everything right with White Sox baseball, case closed.

Also as far as the people who care about draft picks, I told some huge baseball fans about people on this message board wanting the Sox to lose to improve draft stock and ALL OF THEM said, "In baseball? They care about the draft?" They laughed heartily.

Would you rather lie and people say he hasn't sucked this season?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
Wilkins looks like a guy that sits dead red fastball in AAA but can't recognize or hit a breaking ball or changeup to save his life. Maybe in AAA without advanced scouts and guys that don't have the best command he just sits on fastballs.

He does this but he can't catch up to the fastball, that's the main issue. There are enough FB thrown in the Majors for a guy like Wilkins to be a good bench option/PH if he could hit them but from the ABs I've seen of him he gets overpowered over the plate at 92-94 and that's not going to work ever.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
Would you rather lie and people say he hasn't sucked this season?

I'm just appalled anybody could ever say anything negative about the guy after what he meant to this franchise. I bet if somebody has a "Thank You Paulie Forever" thread after his final game, some people still will rip him on there. Like the caveat, "Paulie never did that much for me, but ...

Or "I thought Paulie was overrated, but ..."

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
I'm just appalled anybody could ever say anything negative about the guy after what he meant to this franchise.

Look man....We all wanna see a winning team, and with the way he's hit for pretty much 2 and a half years now, he's not a player who's going to be apart of a winning team.

Overall, no one hates PK, it's just right now he sucks, and there's no getting around that.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
I don't get your point. Is Wilkins going to be a MLB contributor in your opinion?

I said they should give trade Dunn/give Wilkins a chance and laughed at the people saying he should be the DH next year. I still feel the same way on both topics.

I have always felt that the Sox don't view Wilkins as having much of a future, but now that he is here, he should play while he can.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
He does this but he can't catch up to the fastball, that's the main issue. There are enough FB thrown in the Majors for a guy like Wilkins to be a good bench option/PH if he could hit them but from the ABs I've seen of him he gets overpowered over the plate at 92-94 and that's not going to work ever.

Again, he also has 34 appearances in the majors. That velocity is typically better than he's seen all year. It takes time to adjust your timing at the plate.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
I'm just appalled anybody could ever say anything negative about the guy after what he meant to this franchise.

You're a homer for Konerko. We get it. People have opinions. Paul Konerko is not the Messiah and people can say negative things about him if they like. I can guarantee you that most people on here are grateful for everything Konerko did for the organization and there are going to be a minutia who don't are generally bashed fairly well. We've been over why people would be upset about him on the roster this year ad nauseum and it would be best if that isn't brought up again. That's all anybody was ever talking about.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
I don't get your point. Is Wilkins going to be a MLB contributor in your opinion?

I said they should give trade Dunn/give Wilkins a chance and laughed at the people saying he should be the DH next year. I still feel the same way on both topics.

If the White Sox are looking to spend $50 million this offseason, do everything they can to win a playoff spot, be "all -in" again, and be saddled with 3-4 more losing seasons afterwards if things don't work out, then Wilkins is certainly not an option at all.

If the White Sox are looking to fill some gaps and see what they have in guys next year, then thinking of Andy Wilkins as a guy who can play some 1b and be a platoon DH, filling a roster spot backing up Abreu and getting 300-400 PA against RH starters per year as well as some PH spots and maybe think they have a shot at getting an ~.800 ish OPS out of him? With time I think that's plausible and that's a useful piece in the modern day MLB if he could get to that level.

He's been a slow starter at least at the last 2 levels he's visited so I don't know why people are surprised he's struggling now, the question is where this franchise is going next year. I think he can contribute to a winning ball club in the post steroid MLB, but like any prospect I can't be more than 50% certain of that, and there's a "He has to be used right" qualifier. If we're going to keep a similar payroll to this year's team, DH seems like a silly spot to blow $10 million+ again, especially if the target is going to be 37 years old. Given the choice between Wilkins there part time with a platoon RH hitter found somewhere else and signing Martinez for like 3/$45, I'll take Wilkins easy and see what the heck happens. Then again, I haven't dealt with him, he could be impossible to coach or work with.

For this team to win without pushing the payroll back to $120 million we need as many guys from the minors at minimal salaries to contribute a little bit as we can find, and I'm hoping in the right role, Wilkins could contribute a little. I'm not expecting Abreu out of him, I'm hoping that he could give an .800 OPS as a platoon DH and that would be a useful contributor in the modern AL.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Again, he also has 34 appearances in the majors. That velocity is typically better than he's seen all year. It takes time to adjust your timing at the plate.

You're a homer for Konerko. We get it. People have opinions. Paul Konerko is not the Messiah and people can say negative things about him if they like. I can guarantee you that most people on here are grateful for everything Konerko did for the organization and there are going to be a minutia who don't are generally bashed fairly well. We've been over why people would be upset about him on the roster this year ad nauseum and it would be best if that isn't brought up again. That's all anybody was ever talking about.

For sure on all that. Part of it too is that he became sooo good before he tanked out. The Professor was such an aptly chosen nickname because he was putting on an absolute clinic on how to hit what the pitcher gives a hitter...and then launching mistakes. That small window of greatness was an exciting time. Was he better than Thomas during that window? I dunno.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 06:39 PM)
For sure on all that. Part of it too is that he became sooo good before he tanked out. The Professor was such an aptly chosen nickname because he was putting on an absolute clinic on how to hit what the pitcher gives a hitter...and then launching mistakes. That small window of greatness was an exciting time. Was he better than Thomas during that window? I dunno.

Better than Frank's best? No. Better than end of career Thomas? Sure. But Frank's best stands against anyone in MLB history.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Better than Frank's best? No. Better than end of career Thomas? Sure. But Frank's best stands against anyone in MLB history.

Their peaks aren't even worth discussing. Frank's last 3 years were still better than Konerko's. As a 38 year old, Frank finished 4th in MVP voting with 39/114 and a 926 OPS. As a 39 year old, he sported an 857 OPS. As a 40 year old, he still had a 723 OPS.

Paulie is 38 right now and, yeah.

I don't care what the numbers look like at all, in order for Wilkins to be on the 25-man roster next season out of ST he is going to have to show the abilities of a Major League ballplayer. Right now he looks like a guy who hit 30HRs mashing 87mph fastballs on hitters counts or something. He looks like the second coming of Brad Eldred, Casey Daigle, etc. Lots of guys with no ability to hit any MLB pitching put up numbers in AAA. Sadly it looks like Wilkins is just another one of them.

Also I know there is at least a shot he gets better but it looks like it's mental and a lack of ability. Yeah small sample size, but it looks like he's already trying to get started early and he still can't hit the fastball. I have no issue with him or anyone else competing for a role in ST, the more competition the merrier, but he'll need to look like a completely different player to get on the team. Who knows maybe he can but if you're penciling him in anywhere it's probably as Ravelo's BU in Charlotte ATM.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
Fortunately, the Sox have several more options than Andy Wilkins or "spend 50 million this offseason, do everything they can to win a playoff spot, be "all -in" again, and be saddled with 3-4 more losing seasons afterwards if things don't work out."

I know you're the resident "rest all the players once a week guy" but I am not sitting Abreu for Wilkins simply because Wilkins is left-handed. Sure, Abreu will need days off but he should still play 150-155 and get plenty of starts at DH. We don't need to carry an extra 1B unless they have the ability to be in the lineup everyday a la Dunn this year.

As far as you thinking Wilkins can have an .800 OPS in MLB, I don't even want to touch that. Unless he's going to slug close to .500 that's not going to happen and if the Sox had a guy on the bench with an OPS of .800 would he stay on the bench? This team surely needs players on the rookie contracts to perform but that doesn't mean we give any guy who's had success in Charlotte a role. Hell, let's just make Garcia the DH and have Jordan Danks and Stephan Gartrell round out the outfield!

In any case, I don't know what your fascination is with the payroll and all the arbitrary numbers being thrown around but one thing that is certain is the Sox aren't going to come back with a smaller payroll next year. Whether the plan is to compete next year or in 2016, I would take any wager saying the Sox payroll will grow in each of the next two seasons. This year is probably a lower-end starter, a few bullpen arms and maybe a hitter. I think Hahn will address the left-handed hitter void via trade and he will most likely be an outfielder. To be clear, I do hope they have a rotating DH, I just don't want Wilkins to be any part of it. Fortunately, for me at least, the front office isn't going to pencil Wilkins into any 2015 role. I'd rather see the DH be occupied by Abreu, Garcia, left-handed bat and anyone needing rest. Ideally, they bring in two outfielders, one being a left-handed bat with thump and the other being a strong defender.

Great post. Agree with everything here.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
Fortunately, the Sox have several more options than Andy Wilkins or "spend 50 million this offseason, do everything they can to win a playoff spot, be "all -in" again, and be saddled with 3-4 more losing seasons afterwards if things don't work out."

I know you're the resident "rest all the players once a week guy" but I am not sitting Abreu for Wilkins simply because Wilkins is left-handed. Sure, Abreu will need days off but he should still play 150-155 and get plenty of starts at DH. We don't need to carry an extra 1B unless they have the ability to be in the lineup everyday a la Dunn this year.

As far as you thinking Wilkins can have an .800 OPS in MLB, I don't even want to touch that. Unless he's going to slug close to .500 that's not going to happen and if the Sox had a guy on the bench with an OPS of .800 would he stay on the bench? This team surely needs players on the rookie contracts to perform but that doesn't mean we give any guy who's had success in Charlotte a role. Hell, let's just make Garcia the DH and have Jordan Danks and Stephan Gartrell round out the outfield!

In any case, I don't know what your fascination is with the payroll and all the arbitrary numbers being thrown around but one thing that is certain is the Sox aren't going to come back with a smaller payroll next year. Whether the plan is to compete next year or in 2016, I would take any wager saying the Sox payroll will grow in each of the next two seasons. This year is probably a lower-end starter, a few bullpen arms and maybe a hitter. I think Hahn will address the left-handed hitter void via trade and he will most likely be an outfielder. To be clear, I do hope they have a rotating DH, I just don't want Wilkins to be any part of it. Fortunately, for me at least, the front office isn't going to pencil Wilkins into any 2015 role. I'd rather see the DH be occupied by Abreu, Garcia, left-handed bat and anyone needing rest. Ideally, they bring in two outfielders, one being a left-handed bat with thump and the other being a strong defender.

My impression of the "lower end starter, few bullpen arms, and maybe a hitter" format is that it seems to make sense but it's also the opposite of what Ricky said a few weeks ago. That seems like it barely makes a dent in the ground the white sox need to gain on the rest of the league and does so at a fairly high price.

Maybe something changes that on the trade market, but that seems to me like the definition of "Spending money to spend money", which Rick said they were not going to do.

Given the choice between that and seeing what guys like Wilkins and other scrap heap finds can do, I would lean strongly towards playing the scrap heap game. It seems likely to produce similar results at a lower cost.