It's about that time of the year again...

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)
How on earth can you say he looks like he's guessing ? And is that a bad thing ? Most hitters guess at pitches . No one can hit a +FB with just reaction time alone . You have to be looking for it. Educated guessing is what separate's the good hitters from the mediocre. Know the game situation ,work the count , see ass many pitches as possible, know pitcher's tendencies by studying film and you can guess pretty damn good a lot of the time. It's being a smart hitter but it's still guessing.

More specifically, then: "Guessing and being unable to properly react to guessing incorrectly." All guys guess, yes, but good hitters respond as well. Mediocre and bad hitters have to guess right or intentionally sit on a specific pitch to be successful. If Avi never learns to sit on pitch X but have an approach to react to pitches Y or Z, even if it's just fouling those ones off, he will only be a mediocre hitter.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
I'd prefer to beat Detroit and then let KC walk all over us. Make Detroit play the one-game WC rather than KC.

I don't know why, but for some reason I clearly hate KC more than Detroit this year. I'd rather see KC fail.

No matter how much I think about it, though, I don't have a justifiable reason to feel that way.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
We avoided another close call tonight.

If the Padres win, we will be 3.5 games ahead of a protected pick. If they don't win, we will 3 games ahead of a protected pick.

The Cubs and Phillies are the only realistic teams we could pass in these last 5 games.

2.5 GB of the Cubs for the 8th pick, 1 GB of the Phillies for the 9th pick.

So with the loss tonight and subsequent wins by the Cubs and Philly, do we move up to the 9th pick in front of Philly? What's the tiebreaker, inter league record?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
So with the loss tonight and subsequent wins by the Cubs and Philly, do we move up to the 9th pick in front of Philly? What's the tiebreaker, inter league record?

Last year's record is the tie breaker. Sox magic number for a protected pick is 2 over the Marlins and 1 over the Padres.

Sox will pick 9th, 10th, or 11th.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
More specifically, then: "Guessing and being unable to properly react to guessing incorrectly." All guys guess, yes, but good hitters respond as well. Mediocre and bad hitters have to guess right or intentionally sit on a specific pitch to be successful. If Avi never learns to sit on pitch X but have an approach to react to pitches Y or Z, even if it's just fouling those ones off, he will only be a mediocre hitter.

Well you're pretty much meat when you guess incorrectly anyway. That why even the great hitters fail 70 % of the time. The key is to educate yourself to the point where you're a pretty good guesser. Even guessing right pitch right zone doesn't guarantee you a hit but it makes it a lot more likely. What does Hawk say ? Something like look fastball most of the time and adjust to everything else. You can slow your bat down to hit an off speed pitch but you can't speed it up if you're looking off speed and get a fastball.

Today was a good day for us, draft pick wise.

We moved in to the 9th pick tonight.

We are now just 1.5 GB of the Cubs for the 8th pick

0.5 games ahead of the Phillies for the 10th pick

1 game ahead of the Reds for the 11th pick

If the Padres win tonight, we will be 4 games ahead of the Marlins for a protected pick, which means we've got a 99.9999% of getting a protected pick, which at this point is really the only important thing. I'd obviously love to have the 8th pick vs. the 10th pick, but considering I am going to both Friday and Saturday's game, it will be hard for me to root against the Sox in both of those games, especially Paulie's game Saturday.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
Today was a good day for us, draft pick wise.

We moved in to the 9th pick tonight.

We are now just 1.5 GB of the Cubs for the 8th pick

1 game ahead of the Reds for the 11th pick

If the Padres win tonight, we will be 4 games ahead of the Marlins for a protected pick, which means we've got a 99.9999% of getting a protected pick, which at this point is really the only important thing. I'd obviously love to have the 8th pick vs. the 10th pick, but considering I am going to both Friday and Saturday's game, it will be hard for me to root against the Sox in both of those games, especially Paulie's game Saturday.

Is that 99.99999999% approved by Wite? :P

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 11:57 PM)
So, because they didn't get Aiken they get a re-do? Odd.

Thanks, btw.

You're welcome. And yeah, anytime a team fails to sign anyone in their top 2 rounds (i think), they get a pick worse the following year. So since Aiken was the #1 pick, they get the #2 pick the following season.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 04:29 AM)
Well you're pretty much meat when you guess incorrectly anyway. That why even the great hitters fail 70 % of the time. The key is to educate yourself to the point where you're a pretty good guesser. Even guessing right pitch right zone doesn't guarantee you a hit but it makes it a lot more likely. What does Hawk say ? Something like look fastball most of the time and adjust to everything else. You can slow your bat down to hit an off speed pitch but you can't speed it up if you're looking off speed and get a fastball.

I guess that you are right and I totally agree with you. ;)

but seriously, great post!! ......... I guess. sorry I couldn't resist

With tonight's loss.....

The Sox SECURED a protected pick. We clinched something! Yay!!!

We still have the 9th pick but are....

1 GB of the Cubs for the 8th pick

2.5 games ahead of the Reds for the 11th pick

A loss tomorrow or a Reds win tomorrow and we clinch a top 10 spot.

Edited by Chilihead90