It's about that time of the year again...

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 27, 2014 -> 02:13 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Sox moved into the 8th slot for the 2015 draft. I think in a tie with the cubs that the Sox win?

Yes sir.

Sox have moved in to the 8th pick (tied w/ Cubs, win via. tiebreaker), and also gained a game on the Phillies, whom we were tied with for 9th (again, owned the tiebreaker).

We can now do no worse than the #10 pick.

So the Sox magic number is 2 to lock up the 8th pick. Magic number is 1 to lock up the 9th pick.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 27, 2014 -> 02:35 AM)
Hmmm winning the division vs. slobbering over a draft pick that is likely to not help the Sox at all ever. So close.

1) He's being sarcastic.

2) We have no idea if that draft pick will help the Sox or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
I do want to say, in the last week, Josh Phegley's swing has gotten really short and quick. If he can keep that going, he can hit at the major league level.

I been wondering about what change in him. taking a look at this stats in the last 2 yrs.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
I been wondering about what change in him. taking a look at this stats in the last 2 yrs.

Last year the thing that changed was that he was apparently finally healthy. He's been hitting at least at the AAA level ever since, but every comment we've heard about his defense and game calling has been poor so far. Combine that with a poor showing with the bat in the big leagues last year and that's where we are right now.

Kid has talent but still has work to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
That's great! I can't remember a time when we recently had that draft spot and wound up with a complete bust.

Oh.

Because Gordon Beckham obviously means this pick will be a disaster

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
So basically we got all star performances from Sale, Q, Eaton and Abreu and we only improved by 10 games. I am afraid .500 next year may be a stretch.

Well considering all the positions the Sox had virtually no contribution from this year, I think they did alright.

Seriously, they had 5 position players and 2 pitchers who produced 1 or more WAR this year.

The point being that with all the cash the Sox have, and all the dead weight they can trim away, they should be able to add another 10 wins pretty easily.

Of course injuries and regression could certainly occur but building depth is another part of the process.

in loosing I saw more improvement done this yr even if the change in the win

total is 10. I am more stoke for a few but important chg in a personnel the help

next yr.

now on a personal note. to all the posters, mods and admin on this board, thanks

for a great time and all the hard work and time you put in. I really enjoyed my

coming back yr. I can't wait till next season. I will still be here for the offseason

rebuild.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
Would he be a complement to Flowers? Can he be?

If he could hit well enough there'd be a role for him, but it's not quite ideal since they're both righties.

The real question I have is whether he'll be able to learn defensive techniques/positioning and how to handle a staff if he's being used as a backup. If he could, then he could be the backup C to start the season next year and we could just put up with the "two righties" setup at that position to see what we have. If he's the kind who is only going to learn by getting playing time, the only place he'll get that is in the minors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
That's great! I can't remember a time when we recently had that draft spot and wound up with a complete bust.

Oh.

A #8 overall pick that spends 6 years in the majors is not a complete bust, not even close.

The only reason it feels that way is because he set the bar so damn high by how quickly he made the majors, and how great he was his rookie year. He was disappointing, absolutely, but he wasn't a busted draft pick, otherwise you could argue 99% of the draft picks are busts.

Tim Beckham, he was a bust. Kyle Skipworth, he is a bust. Both of them taken ahead of Beckham that draft.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
So basically we got all star performances from Sale, Q, Eaton and Abreu and we only improved by 10 games. I am afraid .500 next year may be a stretch.

While true, we can pretty much expect Sale and Abreu to be very good next year as well. Eaton is the wildcard with his injuries, but it's not like we got some crazy offensive year out of Flowers and we aren't sure if we just wasted a career year. Sale and Abreu may be having similar seasons for the next 3-4 years.