It's about that time of the year again...

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Basically, the way I feel right now is that I want to see the core guys do well. If that causes them to win the game, then great. However, if there's a game where Avi/Abreu/Eaton do nothing, and the Sox score because someone like Dunn did most of the damage, then it's not too exciting to me.

I pretty much feel the same way and its rather bitter sweet. I'm really only interested in the core guys and the youngsters in the minors that could be part of the team for years to come.

If the Sox are going to suck then suck bad snuff to get a top 11 protected draft pick and allow Hahn the benefit of possibly signing a big FA without losing their first rounder.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
I pretty much feel the same way and its rather bitter sweet. I'm really only interested in the core guys and the youngsters in the minors that could be part of the team for years to come.

If the Sox are going to suck then suck bad snuff to get a top 11 protected draft pick and allow Hahn the benefit

of possibly signing a big FA without losing their first rounder.

well Lester and Masterson will not cost anything come free agent time. positional players may be a different

depending if the sox will go that route.

here is a question, if Max Scherzer does not get a QO from Det, would you sign him for something like

25-30 mil?

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
well Lester and Masterson will not cost anything come free agent time. positional players may be a different

here is a question, if Max Scherzer does not get a QO from Det, would you sign him for something like

25-30 mil?

There is zero chance Scherzer doesn't get a qualifying offer.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)

25-30 mil?

The Sox will have plenty of space in the payroll to play with so, yes I would. My problem is I would not go beyond 4 years for any player that's around 30 years old and I think there are plenty of teams that will take that chance. I would take Sherzer or Lester for around 4/100M. I doubt they would though.:P

I'm more curious as to where the Sox are going to get power from the left side next year. I'm kind of thinking that's going to happen via trade somehow but not sure who to even speculate on.

Based on what Hahn has said (about "another Eaton like trade") and what the chatter has been RE: Sox rumors, I would guess Dom Brown and Pedro Alvarez will be two names heard often. As lefty power hitters having lousy years in organizations strongly focused on winning, they could be buy-low candidates as Eaton was.

No idea what they would cost though.

Hahn could also target someone like this:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=t...itting/2014/ALL

As an outfielder in a system deep in star-caliber OF talent, and having a breakout season in AA, he might be attractive to a team like the Sox.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
Based on what Hahn has said (about "another Eaton like trade") and what the chatter has been RE: Sox rumors, I would guess Dom Brown and Pedro Alvarez will be two names heard often. As lefty power hitters having lousy years in organizations strongly focused on winning, they could be buy-low candidates as Eaton was.

As an outfielder in a system deep in star-caliber OF talent, and having a breakout season in AA, he might be attractive to a team like the Sox.

I want no part of Brown unless he is the DH, he is worse than Viciedo in the outfield.

I'd be trying to get a hold of Dickerson from Colorado. Might cost a lot, but I think he would be worth it. A Dickerson, Eaton and Garcia outfield is solid, and Dickerson brings that lefty bat in the line up.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)

I love the Schebler idea. Not sure how much the Dodgers would like it tho. :)

Maybe Hahn could sweet talk LA into including Schebler with Kemp's high salary but I have no clue what the Sox would offer up or how much of Kemp's salary the Sox would be taking. Keep Eaton in CF and rotate Kemp, Schebler and Avi between RF, LFand DH. I'm just throwing s*** out there.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
I love the Schebler idea. Not sure how much the Dodgers would like it tho. :)

Maybe Hahn could sweet talk LA into including Schebler with Kemp's high salary but I have no clue what

the Sox would offer up or how much of Kemp's salary the Sox would be taking. Keep Eaton in CF and rotate

Kemp, Schebler and Avi between RF, LFand DH. I'm just throwing s*** out there.

either way, the sheer thought of his salary alone would make this a tough pill to swallow, even for me.

I have been thinking, if / when the sox makes the improvement that is needed, I can see

them keeping Flower at starting catcher. the reason, there is really no help in the FA market,

to trade for a catcher, I really don't envision the sox using what limited resources they may

have in the minors. waiver list, are there really a better catcher than Flowers at this point.

if this team gets help and remodeled, I can live with Flowers. but they better draft some catchers

for the future.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 05:10 AM)
With this pen I expect us to have the 5th pick

I really hate to be a killjoy here, but that is not good enuf for Matuella nor Kirby.

but in essence, this ticker tape countdown is exciting and serves as a great reminder

on the positive side of loosing.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 01:42 AM)
I really hate to be a killjoy here, but that is not good enuf for Matuella nor Kirby.

but in essence, this ticker tape countdown is exciting and serves as a great reminder

on the positive side of loosing.

Last year at this time, #3 wouldn't have been enough for Rodon.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 05:22 PM)
Sox are currently sitting at the #10 pick. We are 4.5 GB of a top 5 pick.

Let's go Dbacks, Red Sox, Cubs, Phillies, Twins, and whoever the Sox are playing on non-Chris Sale days!

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 05:32 AM)
Today the Sox gained a game on....

Rangers, Rockies, Cubs, and Phillies.

Sox are now 8.5 GB of the #1 pick, and 4.5 GB of the #5 pick.

People get on me for being repetitious. What about you? We get it. You are not embarrassed by the pathetic play of your favorite team and want them to lose to get a better phantom draft pick. Why do you have to offend me by posting that fact all the time.

Just.Win.White.Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 01:59 AM)
People get on me for being repetitious. What about you? We get it. You are not embarrassed by the pathetic play of your favorite team and want them to lose to get a better phantom draft pick. Why do you have to offend me by posting that fact all the time.

Just.Win.White.Sox.

Repetitious? It's a new day, different teams win and lose. It's called an update. It's like calling out a White Sox Winner thread for being repetitious....it's a new game, new day.

Phantom draft pick? What does that even mean? Do you not believe the MLB draft exists? lol

If this thread somehow offends you.....dont...read...it??? Or???