Drew Henson to go back to NFL

southsider2k5

Whoopty dooo...Joe Borchard should do the same...

I'm not so sure. Borchard hasn't been as big of a disapointment as Henson has. Also, Henson will get a much larger contract from an NFL team then Borchard would. Henson had he stayed a quarterback would have been a top five pick and should still get first round type money. Borchard would not get the same type of deal.

I'm not so sure.  Borchard hasn't been as big of a disapointment as Henson has.  Also, Henson will get a much larger contract from an NFL team then Borchard would.  Henson had he stayed a quarterback would have been a top five pick and should still get first round type money.  Borchard would not get the same type of deal.

All I know is that i'm sick of waiting for Joe Borchard to finally get his s*** together and make the big team. He's almost 25 I think. So he's not exactly a young pup anymore...

The Borchard haters need to do some homework...this guy never played a full season of organized baseball until he signed with the Sox. He's gonna be a late bloomer. If he had played baseball as his first sport during high school and college, he'd be a monster right now. But instead, he focused all his work and practice on football.

I'm telling you...he will be a power hitting star, once he gets his at-bats in the minors and his tendonitis goes away.

Not every player is instant gratification. Yes, he's 25...but he's a babe when it comes to at-bats against quality pitching.

Try to take the long view. If the Sox give up on him, you'll be watching him win power awards for years to come somewhere else. Right now, they are smart to let him get his work in in the minors--he's basically playing his college ball in our minors. Let him come of age...You'll like him.

Forkit!

The Borchard haters need to do some homework...this guy never played a full season of organized baseball until he signed with the Sox. He's gonna be a late bloomer. If he had played baseball as his first sport during high school and college, he'd be a monster right now. But instead, he focused all his work and practice on football.

I'm telling you...he will be a power hitting star, once he gets his at-bats in the minors and his tendonitis goes away.

Not every player is instant gratification. Yes, he's 25...but he's a babe when it comes to at-bats against quality pitching.

Try to take the long view. If the Sox give up on him, you'll be watching him win power awards for years to come somewhere else. Right now, they are smart to let him get his work in in the minors--he's basically playing his college ball in our minors. Let him come of age...You'll like him.

Forkit!

I agree, get off his case.

I like Borchard as our left fielder of the future, alongside Jeremy Reed who will be in center.

Great....Get back to me in 3 years when Borchard is still in the minors...

And so what if he is? We will resign one of Lee and Everett, and we have Reed sneaking up on the big league club, this not mentioning Nanita, Anderson, and Sweeney, this years draftees. I'd love to have an OF of Lee, Reed, and Maggs for 4 years, or an outfield similar to that.

And so what if he is?  We will resign one of Lee and Everett, and we have Reed sneaking up on the big league club, this not mentioning Nanita, Anderson, and Sweeney, this years draftees.  I'd love to have an OF of Lee, Reed, and Maggs for 4 years, or an outfield similar to that.

That's great. I'm not relying on Borchard for anything. To me if he's not in the majors full time by the time he's 26 he's a bust...

I'm almost surprised

BTW, this is Borchard's 4th year (one in college) playing only baseball. Give the kid a break.

Agreed. Joey B has had made a lot of adjustments already, but nothing can make up for playing full time as a kid and Joe never did that.

He seems to be making strides in Charlotte and I'd say he has a shot to stick with a club next season, although he may find himself in Charlotte for almost the full year.

After taht, pencil him in next to Reed and most likely Maggs. I'd say they could pay Maggs depending on what happens. Maggs is so good at this point and I think he'll only get better. He's the definition of a franchise guy and that should be a great defensive outfield and a very productive offensive one.

Jordan4Life...

Blanket statements are just not a great thing to keep throwing out there. Players are individuals and Borchard has had a very different route to the minors than 99 percent of the guys that get drafted. Sometimes it pays to watch and wait for special players to develop.

Could he fall short? Yes.

Could he be an switch hitter with incredible power? Yes.

He is big and fast and has near unbeatable power in his bat from both sides.

Why are so many of you always after instant gratification from young players?

And I reiterate, this is his high school and college baseball he is playing right now. So take your "26 or he's a bust" slogan and hang it on "normal" minor league players that have made it to the minors after playing full time organized ball year after year before being drafted.

Hopefully the Sox organization continue to have some long-term thinkers and planners running the minor leagues. Giving up on Borchard now is just plain dumb.

Forkit!

technical point: Henson cannot go back to the NFL because he has never been in the NFL.  He can go back to Michigan where he has a year left of eligibility, last I knew, but we don't want him now.

I don't think he is eligible for college, as he has already been drafted, right? I don't know exactly how the NFL draft rules work but, he was drafted in the 6th round by the Texans who still own his rights.

I don't think he is eligible for college, as he has already been drafted, right?  I don't know exactly how the NFL draft rules work but, he was drafted in the 6th round by the Texans who still own his rights.

not sure exactly how that works either, I had forgotten he was drafted, but I don't think he opted out of college and declared for the draft but who knows how these things work.

At any rate, he was the best pure qb I ever saw.

And many of us believe that the only reason Steinbrenner offered Henson all that $$$$ was to get Henson out of UM and thus out of the UM-Ohio State game for what would have been Drew's senior year.

The fact that we had beated OSU something like 11 out of 12 prior to the year Henson left for baseball and OSU won that year (by 4 points or something small) with Henson gone and the fact the the Buckeyes indoor facility is called Steinbrenner Hall is what feeds our little conspiracy theories.