8/9 Games

GGajewski18

Doesn't seem Danish will ever hit any top 100 lists unless he throws 92-94 MPH consistently as a starter.

Results matter less to guys who make up those lists than raw stuff, and they often don't account for the difficulty of hitting someone with such an unorthodox motion until they prove doubters right at the major league level (think Chad Bradford, for example).

Heck of a night for starting pitching prospects:

Beck 6.0 IP, 4H, 0R, 2BB, 3K

Bassitt 6.0 IP, 3H, 0R, 2BB, 11K

Danish 6.0 IP, 0H, 0R, 2BB, 5K

Martinez 5.0 IP, 4H, 1ER, 3BB, 1K (meh, but ERA!)

Not so much for the hitting, 25 hits between R, A, A+, AA and AAA, most to non-prospects. Davidson was 0-4 with 3K. Getting a little worried about Trey's lack of contact, 1-4 with 3K.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 01:47 AM)
I think he'll be up in the majors by sometime next year. The kid is just so advanced for his age.

I hope not. Let him finish out the year in W-S. Start him in AA next year, and hope he finishes in AAA. Give him a shot at the 2016 rotation in the spring when he is just 21.

Another thing about Danish is he probably will be that rare guy who is genuinely capable of out-pitching his peripherals, as he goes a long way to shutting down the running game. From the stretch the ball gets out of his hands in 0.22 seconds (the video I saw this on had his teammates in high school clocked at 1.07 and 1.20).

Runners have attempted 11 steals on Danish this year in 108 IP, and been successful just 6 of those times (and one of those was where the dude was successfully picked off and stole anyway). A lot of the box scores I looked at had multiple attempted steals on relievers so it's pretty clear teams are avoiding running on Danish.

99% sure Danish will stay with that Winston-Salem team as they fight to get into the post-season.

That club features 80-85% of our better prospects. Better if they learn to play together, win together and progress upwards more or less as one, although obviously Rodon's on a faster track than the others.

The last time we had so much talent together on one team was 2009 Birmingham before Beckham was promoted.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 02:11 AM)
I hope not. Let him finish out the year in W-S. Start him in AA next year, and hope he finishes in AAA. Give him a shot at the 2016 rotation in the spring when he is just 21.

Why exactly? A+ has proven not to be a challenge for Danish. If he dominates AA over the first 3-4 months next year, why does he need to spend any time in AAA? IMO, AAA is much more important for hitters and pitchers that still haven't learned how to pitch and require an extra year of development.

It's not like we haven't had players skip AAA before. Here's three guys off the top of my head:

Mark Buehrle: 0 AAA starts

Chris Sale: 0 AAA starts

Jose Quintana: 0 AAA starts

Obviously Sale was a unique scenario, but I think Buehrle & Quintana are fairly decent comps for where Danish might be at next year in terms of development. Both guys were pitchers not throwers who dominated AA. As a result, the Sox felt they were both ready for the majors and they were proven right. I honestly think Danish will be in the same boat next year and I'm not sure what some token time at AAA will really prove for him.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
Why exactly? A+ has proven not to be a challenge for Danish. If he dominates AA over the first 3-4 months next year, why does he need to spend any time in AAA? IMO, AAA is much more important for hitters and pitchers that still haven't learned how to pitch and require an extra year of development.

It's not like we haven't had players skip AAA before. Here's three guys off the top of my head:

Mark Buehrle: 0 AAA starts

Chris Sale: 0 AAA starts

Jose Quintana: 0 AAA starts

Obviously Sale was a unique scenario, but I think Buehrle & Quintana are fairly decent comps for where Danish might be at next year in terms of development. Both guys were pitchers not throwers who dominated AA. As a result, the Sox felt they were both ready for the majors and they were proven right. I honestly think Danish will be in the same boat next year and I'm not sure what some token time at AAA will really prove for him.

The jump between A+ and AA is the biggest jump in terms of talent and competition. You want to make sure Danish is really ready before he goes to AA. He's had a great year, but also past his original 100 IP cap already. He should be shut down at any time. It doesn't really make sense (or matter) to promote him to AA now. Let him work on a few things in the off season and start off in AA next year.

Danish has excellent stuff. His motion is the biggest thing holding him back in the eyes of scouting services, followed by his size. Scouting services hate short pitchers, even when their present stuff is plenty good - look at Marcus Stroman. He has well-regarded, but obviously fell too far in that draft

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
Danish has excellent stuff. His motion is the biggest thing holding him back in the eyes of scouting services, followed by his size. Scouting services hate short pitchers, even when their present stuff is plenty good - look at Marcus Stroman. He has well-regarded, but obviously fell too far in that draft

So true. And it seems like such a unfounded bias, because there's been so many high quality shortish pitchers over the years. How many before it's not considered an exception?