Tony Stewart purposefully ran someone over?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-...-153055373.html

Well, Ward's father obviously isn't content with the explanations that are out there...obviously, he's going to be emotional too, the funeral is today or tomorrow, right?

Some pretty direct accusations made at Stewart. This isn't going away anytime soon.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
The other thing about accelerating even when knowing it would cause the car to fishtail - was this a lesser of evils deal? It's hard to say whether Stewart's maneuver made him almost miss Ward instead of definitely hitting him (that is, did the move improve his chances of avoiding the accident even though it still occurred?) because we can't see Stewart's line. If Ward was basically smack dab in front of the car, maybe accelerating and swerving was the best he could do - maybe not.

Especially when you see Ward literally start maneuvering to TRY and get close to Stewart. He literally starts juking and s*** to try and avoid cars and to get closer to Stewart.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
It is true that Ward is as responsible for the situation as Stewart. That is why I don't think there will be any criminal problems for Stewart. However, Stewart could have taken a lower line knowing what was going on. If Stewart really was only on a high line because he was following the car ahead of him, he was negligent for not knowing what was going on. He knew where the wreck was as he caused it and he should have been lower on the track with a wreck at the top of the track.

edit: I guess my overall point is that some people are making it look like Stewart had no choice but to hit the kid. The kid put himself in the situation and Stewart made it worse with his actions. This is why the accident happened. No one has ever hit another driver before and they both did things that contributed to it.

In relation to the accident, Stewart's line was fine. If you look at the first cars to go by the spin out, they are on higher lines than what Stewart was. Stewart came out of the turn in the bottom half of the middle lane. That shouldn't be a worry for a driver, as the accident was left all of the way at the top of the track.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
This is a hilarious thread. My guess from reading all of this is that none of you have ever watched more than 2-3 NASCAR races in your life, if any.

Yes, you caught me. Never been a racing fan. By the way, this happened at short track, dirt track which is really different than NASCAR.

Yes, you caught me. Never been a racing fan. By the way, this happened at short track, dirt track which is really different than NASCAR.

Yes, but everybody it talking as if they are experts on how NASCAR should deal with the situation and how they shouldn't let their drivers drive at dirt tracks, etc. NASCAR has done a pretty good job of growing their sport in the last 20 years and doesn't need advice from the peanut gallery.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
Yes, but everybody it talking as if they are experts on how NASCAR should deal with the situation and how they shouldn't let their drivers drive at dirt tracks, etc. NASCAR has done a pretty good job of growing their sport in the last 20 years and doesn't need advice from the peanut gallery.

True.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)

Neither do baseball teams, but that doesn't stop anyone on Soxtalk from knowing more than anyone in the organization about how a club should be ran.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Neither do baseball teams, but that doesn't stop anyone on Soxtalk from knowing more than anyone in the organization about how a club should be ran.

True again but at least most "people" on this site have seen a few baseball games.

I don't see why it matters either, that's why few people were discussing it.

I will say, I am surprised sponsors for their teams don't put more pressure not to race in non-sponsored events.

There has always been a fine line in NASCAR concerning exactly how much influence sponsors are getting for their money. That said, Tony owns the team he drives for, so he his sponsors know damn well what he is going to be doing in his free time when they pony up the cash.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
There has always been a fine line in NASCAR concerning exactly how much influence sponsors are getting for their money. That said, Tony owns the team he drives for, so he his sponsors know damn well what he is going to be doing in his free time when they pony up the cash.

And for a driver of that stature, he knows there is always the next company in line to give him their money. Maybe this incident changes that, but until now the guy is about as big time as you can get in NASCAR.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Someone slowed down and zoomed in on the race footage, and claims that Ward actually grabbed the wing of Stewart' car. Again, I can't tell what the heck is going on from the grainy video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAe9-JVCmek...eature=youtu.be

It is hard to tell, but it sure looks like he is grabbing onto the wing..

• 1 month later...