Ferguson Riots

Brian

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...ory.html#page=1

What's funny is that these people are too stupid to realize that by inciting and using violence as they have, they're actually doing more harm than good. They're going to turn the once sympathetic national audience against them. And more importantly, they're drowning out the people who are protesting peacefully and have the best chance of making a meaningful change in the community.

It would also be nice if Wilson wouldn't have been out there on the street for 3-4 hours with time to think up a response...every hour that goes or went by, the story was going to change as his emotions went from shock to self-preservation.

(Probably not unlike what Tony Stewart's dealing with at the moment).

That would be a nice point except for the reality that Wilson's story seems to line up fairly well with the autopsy and ballistics.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:45 AM)
That's true, but like he pointed out, there had to be a mistake made if an unarmed guy is shot that many times. Now if the kid tried to get the cop's gun, the cop knows he's unarmed. I guess if the kid went for the gun, he deserves to be shot and possibly die.

But if he shot him should he blast him five more times?

And why would they let the body just rot in the street after the kid was killed? I think mistakes were made in any scenario.

And this is assuming the kid tried to get the cop's gun? If this is a fact not an opinion, then the kid deserved to die, I guess. Will this ever be proven to be the real scenario?

No, in a shooting situation, you're almost always going to have multiple shots fired. And if some of the stories are to be believed, Brown kept charging after being hit multiple times, making the shots necessary.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
Christine Byers

@ChristineDByers

Police sources tell me more than a dozen witnesses have corroborated cop's version of events in shooting #Ferguson

It seems like the more and more evidence coming out, would indicate, that while an unarmed man was shot, he was not innocent and put the Cop in a very precarious situation where, without other weapons, he had to fire. It also seems that from the autopsy results, that until the last bullet shot, he was still moving forward, hence the reason he was shot multiple times.

Surely we're always going to wonder if this incident would have happened without a police force that was 94.3% white patrolling a heavily minority area (at least 70%+ African American).

That's about the only valid point you've made. A big part of why we are where we are is because the city has chosen to have a police force that does not resemble the community.

If a black cop shot and killed the kid, the family is still going to be very upset but there are no protests, rioting, or national news story.

Still, any problems with the police force previously don't get to override the facts that the "eyewitness accounts" that generated the bigger mess don't in any way match up with the facts from the autopsy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
No, in a shooting situation, you're almost always going to have multiple shots fired. And if some of the stories are to be believed, Brown kept charging after being hit multiple times, making the shots necessary.

Wasn't that how some have interpreted the autopsy results. Still there has been so much misinformation on both sides. Kind of crazy to me that it took as long as it did for it to come out and be reported that he wasn't shot in the back.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
It also seems that from the autopsy results, that until the last bullet shot, he was still moving forward, hence the reason he was shot multiple times.

There is absolutely nothing in the autopsy that says he was moving forward or probably moving forward. The wounds are consistent with charging with his head down, but they're also consistent with being shot as he's falling to the ground.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
There is absolutely nothing in the autopsy that says he was moving forward or probably moving forward. The wounds are consistent with charging with his head down, but they're also consistent with being shot as he's falling to the ground.

I've heard a few different analysts talking and discussing that the results could be interpreted to indicate he was moving forward / falling forward. Seems like a lot more information has came out in the past day or so that falls on the police officers side. Again, still a lot more to come out, but a lot of the early reports would appear to be incorrect based upon the new information coming out. Not saying jump to a conclusion, just saying, things look a lot different today then they did a week ago when people were ready to hang / let the police officer rot for life.

Also note, I don't pretend to be an expert on this. I'm not a scientist or investigator and just catch what I see on the news, etc, but I'll let some of you experts go back to playing CSI and tell me what you know from the autopsy vs. what I saw multiple analysts say last night.

So did Wilson's story have him in the squad car while he shot him or was he out of the vehicle?

One of the supposed "facts" of the case is that Brown's body was laying 30-35 feet away from the cop car.

If both of those are true, it seems like a far away distance to suddenly use lethal force when he was unarmed. And if he was charging the squad car, wouldn't that have put him at an even further distance originally?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
So did Wilson's story have him in the squad car while he shot him or was he out of the vehicle?

One of the supposed "facts" of the case is that Brown's body was laying 30-35 feet away from the cop car.

If both of those are true, it seems like a far away distance to suddenly use lethal force when he was unarmed. And if he was charging the squad car, wouldn't that have put him at an even further distance originally?

I don't think we have an official incident report or debrief or anything. So far we have one of Wilson's friend relating the story Wilson supposedly told him, and it's not clear from that exactly where Wilson was.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
I've heard a few different analysts talking and discussing that the results could be interpreted to indicate he was moving forward / falling forward.

I'm not a scientist or investigator and just catch what I see on the news, etc, but I'll let some of you experts go back to playing CSI and tell me what you know from the autopsy vs. what I saw multiple analysts say last night.

Weird that you take such a sarcastic tone in that last line given that all I was saying was what you said in your first line. The autopsy results are consistent with both versions of the shooting out there right now.

There's a difference between saying that the autopsy results are consistent with (the second-hand version of) Wilson's story and using language more along the lines of "the autopsy showed" or "the autopsy found brown was moving forward."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)

No because he chased him after the initial scuffle.

30 feet isnt that far at all, thats 10 yards or like 5 or 6 steps when sprinting.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
Weird that you take such a sarcastic tone in that last line given that all I was saying was what you said in your first line. The autopsy results are consistent with both versions of the shooting out there right now.

There's a difference between saying that the autopsy results are consistent with (the second-hand version of) Wilson's story and using language more along the lines of "the autopsy showed" or "the autopsy found brown was moving forward."

Apologies if I misconstrued what you were saying. i read your response as you telling me what the autopsy said vs. what I saw analysts saying. Basically like, listen, I evaluated the information and this is the case (e.g., you pretending you were an expert). All I was saying was that what was once a one sided story is turning into much more and the autopsy seems to be more supportive right now of the officers story then what snippets we have gotten from the witnesses story. Mainly basing that on the fact that he wasn't in fact shot in the back, like the witnesses indicated.

Again, sorry if I misunderstood that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
Apologies if I misconstrued what you were saying. i read your response as you telling me what the autopsy said vs. what I saw analysts saying. Basically like, listen, I evaluated the information and this is the case (e.g., you pretending you were an expert). All I was saying was that what was once a one sided story is turning into much more and the autopsy seems to be more supportive right now of the officers story then what snippets we have gotten from the witnesses story. Mainly basing that on the fact that he wasn't in fact shot in the back, like the witnesses indicated.

Again, sorry if I misunderstood that.

no problem, I think we were mainly talking past each other there.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I don't think we have an official incident report or debrief or anything. So far we have one of Wilson's friend relating the story Wilson supposedly told him, and it's not clear from that exactly where Wilson was.

And we have "a dozen" witnesses that supposedly support Wilson's account that Brown came after him.

I'll be interested to see what the FBI report says. You know that's going to be politically motivated. If Holder comes out and says "well guys, really, Brown was a moron and attacked a police officer and the officer had no choice but to use deadly force," that's not going to fair well for Obama.

Also, it's sad, but yet again we've allowed the media "reporting" false information to drive the narrative here. The Redskins team last night walked out onto the field with their hands up "in support" of a criminal who potentially could have been attacking a police officer. Continuing that "stop, don't shoot!" claim that I think at this point has been discredited.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
And we have "a dozen" witnesses that supposedly support Wilson's account that Brown came after him.

That was about whether Wilson left the area of his vehicle or not, though. His friend's second-hand account isn't clear on that. He just says that Wilson exited the vehicle because his first response was to pursue, and yelled "freeze." We don't know what Wilson's full account is yet.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
Also, it's sad, but yet again we've allowed the media "reporting" false information to drive the narrative here. The Redskins team last night walked out onto the field with their hands up "in support" of a criminal who potentially could have been attacking a police officer. Continuing that "stop, don't shoot!" claim that I think at this point has been discredited.

You still have the massive overreaction by the police to the ongoing protests.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
You still have the massive overreaction by the police to the ongoing protests.

I dont see overreaction at all, I see them trying to keep the peace and safety of the actual protesters vs people who were firing guns at police. The Police were shot at last night and fired zero bullets. I saw them live giving more than 15 warnings to clear because of the shootings taking place while people just decided they wanted to get arrested. I see media asking why they have to move while their safety is in question. Should the police just let more innocent businesses owners lives go up in flames?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
I dont see overreaction at all, I see them trying to keep the peace and safety of the actual protesters vs people who were firing guns at police. The Police were shot at last night and fired zero bullets. I saw them live giving more than 15 warnings to clear because of the shootings taking place while people just decided they wanted to get arrested. I see media asking why they have to move while their safety is in question. Should the police just let more innocent businesses owners lives go up in flames?

I've seen them arresting and assaulting journalists for being in a McDonalds. I've seen them tear-gassing journalists and disassembling their video equipment. I've seen them launching tear gas and smoke into neighborhoods. I've seen them aim loaded weapons at unarmed protesters. I've seen them arrest councilmen and refuse to give name or badge number. I've seen them threaten to shoot people. I've seen them use smoke and tear gas to break up 100% peaceful gatherings. I've seen them demand that all video recording be stopped.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
I've seen them arresting and assaulting journalists for being in a McDonalds. I've seen them tear-gassing journalists and disassembling their video equipment. I've seen them launching tear gas and smoke into neighborhoods. I've seen them aim loaded weapons at unarmed protesters. I've seen them arrest councilmen and refuse to give name or badge number. I've seen them threaten to shoot people. I've seen them use smoke and tear gas to break up 100% peaceful gatherings. I've seen them demand that all video recording be stopped.

They arent "tear gassing journalists" they are shooting tear gas into an area of violent protesters after many warnings that its going to happen. If someone tells you they are going to shoot tear gas to disperse a violent mob, why arent you moving away? I watched it live last night on CNN, 15 min of warnings and yet they still stood there. WHy do you think a journalist fighting for clicks and reads and ratings would do such a thing?

And have the police shot an innocent person with a bullet? Have they fired a single bullet?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
They arent "tear gassing journalists" they are shooting tear gas into an area of violent protesters after many warnings that its going to happen.

No, they have tear gassed journalists who were setting up equipment next to their news van. I posted the pictures and videos and links pages ago. This was last week.

I also watched some of the live coverage last week. They were shooting tear gas into completely peaceful crowds.

If someone tells you they are going to shoot tear gas to disperse a violent mob, why arent you moving away? I watched it live last night on CNN, 15 min of warnings and yet they still stood there. WHy do you think a journalist fighting for clicks and reads and ratings would do such a thing?

Because they have a right if not a duty to cover the news? Because you're being silly when you paint everything as a "violent mob?"

And have the police shot an innocent person with a bullet? Have they fired a single bullet?

They have pointed a bunch of deadly force and unarmed people. That in itself is an overreaction. The pictures and videos have been posted in this thread and they're easily googled.

They did return fire in that shooting that IIRC was unrelated but in the area a week or so ago.