Ferguson Riots

Brian

The majority of police are good people, unfortunatley the police have done historically a pretty terrible job of actually punishing and removing bad policeman from their ranks and protecting their own. If police brutality is used as propoganda perhaps the police should work harder to remove themselves from that equation. Again, Chicago police had an organized torture ring for almost a decade which put an unbelievable amount of innocent people in jail. He will continue to get paid for next decade by taxpayers he tortured.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now we have the cops saying that he strong armed the convenient store(which looks to be true), assaulted a cop and tried to steal his gun. And we have Brown's friends saying that he surrendered right away. My point is that we still don't have all the details but a lot of people seem to just want to join the "f*** the police" side of things.

Witnesses claim Brown was shot in the back. Forensics will be able to determine that very easily. There's pretty much never justification for a cop shooting an unarmed person in the back.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Do you think they are raised to hate the police because of no reason, or for example, they grew up in the neighborhoods where policed tortured suspects to gain false confessions.

There is a strong sentiment in this forum that police officers can be terrible at their jobs and terrorize people because they put their life at risk. I disagree.

So the idea is that it is OK for the stereotype of an entire group to take place because of the actions of a few in this situation?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Right now we have the cops saying that he strong armed the convenient store(which looks to be true), assaulted a cop and tried to steal his gun. And we have Brown's friends saying that he surrendered right away. My point is that we still don't have all the details but a lot of people seem to just want to join the "f*** the police" side of things.

We have at least three if not four independent witnesses corroborating the story that Brown was shot in the back as he attempted to flee, and then was shot several more times after turning around with his hands up. Whether or not he stole some cigars before that isn't relevant. Whether or not he struggled with the officer before that isn't relevant. None of that excuses shooting a fleeing suspect in the back and then shooting him more when he turns with has hands up.

And then we have them leaving him laying on the ground for four hours and the ensuing military-style crackdown of the city. Even if Michael Brown had been armed and presenting a legitimate threat to the police, their post-shooting actions would remain completely inexcusable and fully justify taking the "f*** the police" side of things.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)

Michael Brown doesn't have to be a saint for there still to have been gross incompetence. Officers should not be killing unarmed suspects, but even then after that, the response from the police this week has been a joke, and worthy of all the criticism they received. Unremarkably, a de-escalation did not lead to chaos taking over, but receding.

http://news.yahoo.com/turmoil-tear-gas-way...-053336976.html

Darren Wilson is the name of the officer

I think trying to turn thing around on Brown and vilify him over the theft of $49 in cigars is only going to backfire in the end...it's right out of the "it's her fault for dressing provocatively/blaming the victim" playbook in a rape case.

Surely, someone should have known better than to send almost an all-white militia style assault force when finding just ONE African-American state patrolman (Ron Johnson) with ties to the Ferguson area could have ended everything in a peaceful manner.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)
So the idea is that it is OK for the stereotype of an entire group to take place because of the actions of a few in this situation?

Sorry, but your efforts to try and equate "black people" with the "race" of police officers will not be entertained.

Much like a bad customer service rep can do more negative harm to a company than 100 good cs reps, such is life for police. "Well, you can't paint all of comcast customer service in a bad light!"

It doesn't work like that.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Probably because if you were alive in high school you probably knew someone that stole cigars from convenience stores and don't believe they should be shot 9 times.

Maybe I knew kids who slipped a pack of cigars in their pocket without paying, but I can't say I knew anybody who physically roughed up a convenience store clerk for a pack of cigars.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Sorry, but your efforts to try and equate "black people" with the "race" of police officers will not be entertained.

Much like a bad customer service rep can do more negative harm to a company than 100 good cs reps, such is life for police. "Well, you can't paint all of comcast customer service in a bad light!"

It doesn't work like that.

It works exactly like that, and it creates situations exactly like this. Hate and fear is a two way street, and has real world consequences. You can't stoke hate and fear on one sides, and not expect it to have results and externalities.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
It works exactly like that, and it creates situations exactly like this. Hate and fear is a two way street, and has real world consequences. You can't stoke hate and fear on one sides, and not expect it to have results and externalities.

Well, unfortunately, police brutality in communities has real world consequences, and those consequences were not reaped from those asking to end it. It's from those who perform it, and from those who do not punish it.

Most politicians are not corrupt, but it doesn't mean that a minority of them engaging in corruption is not an issue. It is, and it erodes public trust. That isn't the media/or watchdogs fault. It is the fault of the politicians if they do not try to self regulate.

I'm not going to get into this whole riots situation but most of you guys being white will never fully understand why minorities in America are so afraid of the police. I've never been arrested, never been involved with gangs or any of that kind of stuff but that hasn't stopped pigs from harrassing me and treating as if I were a criminal various times in my past.

Not all cops are bad, I know this, in fact probably most are good people really trying to help their communities. But I've run into enough racist redneck hillbilly assholes with badges and licenses to kill to know that there are "cops" out there who are just itching for a minority to just give them one reason, any reason for them to pull out their fire arm, beat them with their club, pepper spray or stun gun a person.

Pretty funny you hardly hear about some white kid getting abused by the cops, whenever you hear about police brutallity, it's always on a black or Hispanic person. They seem to always have the same story too, the suspect either reaches inside their clothes and the cop is forced to shoot or the suspect tries to reach for the cop's gun. A lot of these incidences happen with witnesses who contradict the police's version but nothing ever happens to the cop. There also is a lot of video footage of cops using excessive force on minorities, they're on YouTube, cops beating on old ladies and ridiculous s*** like that, so the proof of police brutallity is out there.

Riots happen because communities are sick and tired of being f***ed with by those who are supposed be there to serve and protect. It ain't that hard to figure out, bros.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
We have at least three if not four independent witnesses corroborating the story that Brown was shot in the back as he attempted to flee, and then was shot several more times after turning around with his hands up. Whether or not he stole some cigars before that isn't relevant. Whether or not he struggled with the officer before that isn't relevant. None of that excuses shooting a fleeing suspect in the back and then shooting him more when he turns with has hands up.

And then we have them leaving him laying on the ground for four hours and the ensuing military-style crackdown of the city. Even if Michael Brown had been armed and presenting a legitimate threat to the police, their post-shooting actions would remain completely inexcusable and fully justify taking the "f*** the police" side of things.

Can you link to said witnesses? I could find two. One testimony which I'm sure will be thrown out as unreliable because he was part of the robbery. Another is a woman who came forward 4 days later. Honestly I'm not trusting any of the witnesses. I'd wait for the autopsy.

I'm not going to get into this whole riots situation but most of you guys being white will never fully understand why minorities in America are so afraid of the police. I've never been arrested, never been involved with gangs or any of that kind of stuff but that hasn't stopped pigs from harrassing me and treating as if I were a criminal various times in my past.

Not all cops are bad, I know this, in fact probably most are good people really trying to help their communities. But I've run into enough racist redneck hillbilly assholes with badges and licenses to kill to know that there are "cops" out there who are just itching for a minority to just give them one reason, any reason for them to pull out their fire arm, beat them with their club, pepper spray or stun gun a person.

Pretty funny you hardly hear about some white kid getting abused by the cops, whenever you hear about police brutallity, it's always on a black or Hispanic person. They seem to always have the same story too, the suspect either reaches inside their clothes and the cop is forced to shoot or the suspect tries to reach for the cop's gun. A lot of these incidences happen with witnesses who contradict the police's version but nothing ever happens to the cop. There also is a lot of video footage of cops using excessive force on minorities, they're on YouTube, cops beating on old ladies and ridiculous s*** like that, so the proof of police brutallity is out there.

Riots happen because communities are sick and tired of being f***ed with by those who are supposed be there to serve and protect. It ain't that hard to figure out, bros.

I'm not going to try and say that it's anything like race-based mistreatment, but where I live there are numerous stories of people getting horribly mistreated by cops, and most of the victims are white. I have a friend who got the s*** beat out of him to the point of having to to to the ER by two off-duty cops for no other reason than he was stumbling drunk in a bar and spilled one of their beers. They got off scot-free. I've heard many other second-hand stories of local police crossing far over the line. If I didn't have a cousin who is a Sgt. with the state police and a former roommate who is a federal prosecutor, I'd be short selling my house and getting the f*** out of here. Cops here can't be trusted and it has very little, if anything, to do with race.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Can you link to said witnesses? I could find two. One testimony which I'm sure will be thrown out as unreliable because he was part of the robbery. Another is a woman who came forward 4 days later. Honestly I'm not trusting any of the witnesses. I'd wait for the autopsy.

I heard about it on the radio originally, but I did find this:

http://fox4kc.com/2014/08/14/witnesses-to-...s-last-minutes/

That was two independent (from Brown) witnesses driving in the area whose retelling matches what another witness saw out her window.

Instead, a shot went off, then the teen broke free, and the officer got out of the vehicle in pursuit, the women said.

“I saw the police chase him … down the street and shoot him down,” Crenshaw said. Brown ran about 20 feet.

“Michael jerks his body, as if he’s been hit,” Mitchell said.

Then he faced the officer and put his hands in the air, but the officer kept firing, both women said. He sank to the pavement.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Wait a second. I thought he was just an innocent kid minding his business waiting for college to start? (And stop, I'm not justifying shooting an unarmed person with their hands up. If that's what actually happened, the cop should be punished. Just funny how these details are conveniently left out)

That wasn't him in the robbery photos.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
I'm not going to try and say that it's anything like race-based mistreatment, but where I live there are numerous stories of people getting horribly mistreated by cops, and most of the victims are white. I have a friend who got the s*** beat out of him to the point of having to to to the ER by two off-duty cops for no other reason than he was stumbling drunk in a bar and spilled one of their beers. They got off scot-free. I've heard many other second-hand stories of local police crossing far over the line. If I didn't have a cousin who is a Sgt. with the state police and a former roommate who is a federal prosecutor, I'd be short selling my house and getting the f*** out of here. Cops here can't be trusted and it has very little, if anything, to do with race.

Police brutality and abuse isn't limited to racial minorities, they're just statistically more likely to be subject to it. Hell, my wife and I got pulled over for "driving while too poor for this neighborhood" once.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
That wasn't him in the robbery photos.

eh it looks like it was to me:

BvFZ9xgIIAAgCZW.jpg

the outfit is a match to Brown laying dead in the street:

http://allhiphop.files.wordpress.com/2014/...on-shooting.jpg

edit: the weird sandals that come up to his mid-calf is what confirms it to me.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
I heard about it on the radio originally, but I did find this:

http://fox4kc.com/2014/08/14/witnesses-to-...s-last-minutes/

That was two independent (from Brown) witnesses driving in the area whose retelling matches what another witness saw out her window.

Thanks. I think I read that, didn't realize it was two women's account. I have to imagine there were more too, but we're told to stfu to the media about it to police, which they should.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)

Wow. So cops also mess with white folks from time to time? Crazy. I've lived most of my life in So Cal and that hardly ever happened there.