Ferguson Riots

Brian

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
That's a valid question, when is enough enough. But you don't want them driving beaters that break down when they are on the way to try and stop someone breaking into your house, do you? The over militarization of the police and the blatant abuses that occur with seizures in a lot of cases are very good topics to discuss. But saying that they should just go police because they WANT to? How f***ing absurd is that?

As for the writing moving violations and letting the dealers get away, sounds like a conservative argument there, enforce the laws you currently have. ;)

you my friend are trying to rewrite what i wrote to make some points or to make your statement a valid one.

cops were always people who wanted to help or make a point in doing right, that is also most prevalent when lawyers calls cops in and in trial questioning their integrity. now i will not use my own opinion to color all the PO dept's in the country a certain color, or accuse them of abusing their position.

10-15 yrs ago, the cops were using cars that were confiscated for 1 violation or another. they were in turn put thru a complete maintenance overall. so this beater or dilapidated condition, cars, esp for undercover are redone mechanically. come on, pls don't try to assume i am ignorant, i do not know what you are talking about, your point is beyond common sense.

and if the cops will spend more time patrolling and doing their jobs instead of 10-15 cops at a time going for lunch or breakfast or mtg in a parking lot to discuss BS. work, to protect the citizens, if you do not want to put your life on the line......... QUIT ... go and become a priest or find a less hazardous job.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
    you my friend are trying to rewrite what i wrote to make some points or to make your statement a valid one.

cops were always people who wanted to help or make a point in doing right, that is also most prevalent when lawyers calls cops in and in trial questioning their integrity. now i will not use my own opinion to color all the PO dept's in the country a certain color, or accuse them of abusing their position.

10-15 yrs ago, the cops were using cars that were confiscated for 1 violation or another. they were in turn put thru a complete maintenance overall. so this beater or dilapidated condition, cars, esp for undercover are redone mechanically. come on, pls don't try to assume i am ignorant, i do not know what you are talking about, your point is beyond common sense.

and if the cops will spend more time patrolling and doing their jobs instead of 10-15 cops at a time going for lunch or breakfast or mtg in a parking lot to discuss BS. work, to protect the citizens, if you do not want to put your life on the line......... QUIT ... go and become a priest or find a less hazardous job.

And then the pay gets even higher with even better benefits because they will HAVE to in order to attract people to do the job. As for the cars, they still do that. And the beater comment was perhaps confused with the jerks guy wanting them to drive crap. And please note I didn't disagree with you entirely. There are many abuses in the system. Vehicle and other confiscation just being one of them. Using swat teams and no-knock raids to deliver non-violent warrants is another. There are many.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)

And then the pay gets even higher with even better benefits because they will HAVE to in order to attract people to do the job. As for the cars, they still do that. And the beater comment was perhaps confused with the jerks guy wanting them to drive crap. And please note I didn't disagree with you entirely. There are many abuses in the system. Vehicle and other confiscation just being one of them. Using swat teams and no-knock raids to deliver non-violent warrants is another. There are many.

this will be my last statement.... at least for today.

there are many faults in everything. is there a 1 fix all....... no.

will the problem that is happening in lets say for this discussion, Calif be the same that is happen in a city in the Wy state. no.

they all need to be address individually,

peace.

i am leaving to the sports bar to catch some ball.

if i am not too drunk. i may be back tonite.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
      That they should do it because it is a good thing to do, and not a paycheck.

If they sign up to do it for a paycheck that's the whole problem man. The only qualification then for becoming a cop is to give up on your hopes and dreams to take the free ride. That's my point. So therefore they shouldn't act like pricks since they are living on our dime, admitting they don't want to participate in the economy. They should act like butlers instead of pricks.

You can't have it both ways.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
      If they sign up to do it for a paycheck that's the whole problem man. The only qualification then for becoming a cop is to give up on your hopes and dreams to take the free ride. That's my point. So therefore they shouldn't act like pricks since they are living on our dime, admitting they don't want to participate in the economy. They should act like butlers instead of pricks.

You have obviously never been a boss of anything other than your own ego. There is no free ride. They exchange their services for money. They do the policing that you don't want to do however need someone to do. While I will agree that they shouldn't act like pricks, your fantasy of butler service shows how removed from reality that you are. I bet you just get down on your knees and thank your boss every day for the opportunity to be employed and bring him coffee and rub his feet and god knows what else.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
      You have obviously never been a boss of anything other than your own ego. There is no free ride. They exchange their services for money. They do the policing that you don't want to do however need someone to do. While I will agree that they shouldn't act like pricks, your fantasy of butler service shows how removed from reality that you are. I bet you just get down on your knees and thank your boss every day for the opportunity to be employed and bring him coffee and rub his feet and god knows what else.

Lol why are you getting so defensive and agitated? I'm actually the exact opposite of what you described- I'm out in the jungle every day negotiating contracts and putting people to work. That's how I contribute- there's no room for ego in business. Apparently there's plenty of room for ego in police work. If you can't see the point of my butler exaggeration I don't know what else to say.

Cops being ego maniac tough guys is one extreme while being more like butlers is the other extreme. All I'm saying is the norm should be closer to the butler side of the meter instead of full-prick, where it seems to be trending more every year. Giving these suburban cops new SUVs and tactical gear every year only adds to this IMO.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south...p-news&_r=0

A white police officer in North Charleston, S.C., was charged with murder on Tuesday after a video surfaced showing him shooting in the back and killing an apparently unarmed black man while the man ran away.

The officer, Michael T. Slager, 33, said he had feared for his life because the man had taken his stun gun in a scuffle after a traffic stop on Saturday. A video, however, shows the officer firing eight times as the man, Walter L. Scott, 50, fled. The North Charleston mayor announced the state charges at a news conference Tuesday evening.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 03:09 AM)
      Also apparently tried to cover it up by placing something near the body.

You just can't shoot a traffic violator in the back as he's running away. I know nothing about that cop, but he's going to jail for murder. If he's a normal, upstanding citizen, I feel sorry for him.

I realize Milkman laughs at me, but why can't these bad cops just shoot a guy in the leg or the foot or the hand? What's with the shooting to kill in all these instances? s***, the minute the lawbreaker realizes the cops are shooting at him, he's probably going to stop running anyway unless he is suicidal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 11:17 PM)
      You just can't shoot a traffic violator in the back as he's running away. I know nothing about that cop, but he's going to jail for murder. If he's a normal, upstanding citizen, I feel sorry for him.

I realize Milkman laughs at me, but why can't these bad cops just shoot a guy in the leg or the foot or the hand? What's with the shooting to kill in all these instances? s***, the minute the lawbreaker realizes the cops are shooting at him, he's probably going to stop running anyway unless he is suicidal.

I dunno. Ive never been shot at but i think I'd keep running too!

Anybody catch the movie Captive w Ryan Reynolds? It's at redbox. Holy s*** those cops that devote their lives to finding kidnapped kids are heroes. What a 180 from these beat cops shooting regular folks. That's a cop. Stopping monsters. That movie made me want to devote my life to stopping such horrible things. Give them whatever they need. Give them the suburban traffic cop's 70k armored Tahoe.

You do have to wonder how a traffic stop for a broken tail-light escalated to a guy getting shot in the back 8 times.

In the case of charging the cop with murder though, that's almost irrelevant. You don't shoot a guy 8 times while he's running away AND tamper with evidence. Not to mention he tried to tamper with evidence while there was another officer at the site.

We need to thank whoever shot the video. Because if it didn't exist, the cop would have gotten out of this one.

You watch too much tv.

Unlike as shown in the walking dead, these shots are next to impossible no matter how well trained you are, especially in the heat of the moment.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 05:17 AM)

Greg, as someone already mention, those shot are nearly impossible. only a sharpshoot, with a scope and having a luxury of time and planning may be able to do that, but with a rifle.

those cops, are in a time critical situation, the blood it pumping fast, the adrenalin to race thru you system. the powers to be are aware of this, so they make it a policy to shot to kill, 2 shot tap. now they are rethinking of the 2 tap shot in the body. there is a discussion of a 2 tap shot, 1 in the torso and a killing one in the head. b/c now that body armour, meaning bullet proof vest, is out there.

the cops philosophy is, they are giving the bad guy a chance to surrender and if they want to shoot it out, make sure, they will not have a chance to kill you. you have families, you do not deserve a visit by PO superiors accompanied with a priest, knocking on you door.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 05:45 AM)
      I dunno. Ive never been shot at but i think I'd keep running too!

Anybody catch the movie Captive w Ryan Reynolds? It's at redbox. Holy s*** those cops that devote their lives to finding kidnapped kids are heroes. What a 180 from these beat cops shooting regular folks. That's a cop. Stopping monsters. That movie made me want to devote my life to stopping such horrible things. Give them whatever they need. Give them the suburban traffic cop's 70k armored Tahoe.

cops, are in some respect a necessary evil. evil, b/c some cops who are dirty, lazy, or jerks can ruin the rep for the whole uniform PO.

i know, i was for 10 yrs on both sides. a brother who was a cop and me, running the streets seeing the bad cops.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)

I'm sorry, but that is one of the dumbest sentiments I've ever heard. The overwhelming majority of people in this country do what they do for the paycheck. Very few people have the luxury of being able to make a living at their dream job.

The amount of time that takes place in between the victim turning around & running and the shots being fired is the worst part of that clip. That cop has several seconds to make a decision and still chose to fire multiple shots. Wow.

Cheers to whoever filmed that video and stuck with it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
      The amount of time that takes place in between the victim turning around & running and the shots being fired is the worst part of that clip. That cop has several seconds to make a decision and still chose to fire multiple shots. Wow.

Cheers to whoever filmed that video and stuck with it.

I was very surprised that they never really noticed the guy filming it. The guy was pretty obvious too

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 05:55 AM)
      You watch too much tv.

Unlike as shown in the walking dead, these shots are next to impossible no matter how well trained you are, especially in the heat of the moment.

To add to Y2HH... as a cop, you are trained to shoot for center mass - always. Period, full stop, end of story. This is mostly because it is already hard enough to do that properly even with a lot of training. You'd be amazed how many shots miss even at close range. Firing a pistol accurately in a high-tension scenario is very difficult to do well.

There is perhaps a very narrow exception here, for a SWAT/Metro sharp-shooter type guy, which most departments don't even have. They may at times aim for specific body areas with a sophisticated rifle. But that is not the scenario we are discussing in any of these shootings.

Another important point - courts have held reliably that a cop shooting someone is deadly force, always. So from that perspective, it is all the same.

If you want to make a criticism on these shootings (and in this South Carolina case it is just plain murder anyway), it is the tendency to go straight to the gun you should be looking at. And that comes to not only training, but mentality.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
      geez, that officer wasted no time pulling the trigger.

the guy running off looked like he was about to run a 13 second 40 time. he could've easily ran after and tackled him or something.

The officer must have felt "threatened" by a 50 year old man who just got taser'd and runs a 13 second 40.

There has to be some history on this cop for doing things the wrong way. A cold blooded killer like him wouldnt just come out one day and shoot someone 8 times in the back without showing signs previously of being a monster.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
      There has to be some history on this cop for doing things the wrong way. A cold blooded killer like him wouldnt just come out one day and shoot someone 8 times in the back without showing signs previously of being a monster.

Maybe, but not for sure. Adrenaline and high incidents do funny things to people, and not always the same thing even to the same person each time. The human brain sometimes will spazz out. No idea if that is the case here or not, just saying, it is possible (even if unlikely) that he's never done anything like this.

Any shootings are documented anyway, so they'd be able to look that up quite quickly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
      Maybe, but not for sure. Adrenaline and high incidents do funny things to people, and not always the same thing even to the same person each time. The human brain sometimes will spazz out. No idea if that is the case here or not, just saying, it is possible (even if unlikely) that he's never done anything like this.

Any shootings are documented anyway, so they'd be able to look that up quite quickly.

5 years into his policing career with probably countless incidents such as a "fleeing suspects" and this time the adrenaline made him spazz out? I cant buy that one.