Avisail Garcia reportedly to join Sox next Tues (8/19)

caulfield12

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 07:24 AM)
The logical decision would be to DFA Dunn to open up room for Garcia to DH and just focus on hitting for the final month and week of the season. Let De Aza and Viciedo play for the final month to see if they can get hot and build some trade value/a reason to hang on to them for next year.

Or we could release Belisario, move Dunn to the pen and use Garcia as DH....

Dunn can't be any worse than Ronnie Bellend...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 01:24 AM)
The logical decision would be to DFA Dunn to open up room for Garcia to DH and just focus on hitting for the final month and week of the season. Let De Aza and Viciedo play for the final month to see if they can get hot and build some trade value/a reason to hang on to them for next year.

This is not logical at all. Why would you DFA a guy who has actually been productive?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
This is not logical at all. Why would you DFA a guy who has actually been productive?

Because the team is not competing for anything now and he's a free agent at the end of the year. And it's not like his production has been off the walls. If it was, some team would have traded for him by now.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
Because the team is not competing for anything now and he's a free agent at the end of the year. And it's not like his production has been off the walls. If it was, some team would have traded for him by now.

Teams may be offering nothing and expecting the Sox to eat the salary. The Sox may say we will do one or the other, but not both.

There is literally no point in DFA'ing Dunn.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
Teams may be offering nothing and expecting the Sox to eat the salary. The Sox may say we will do one or the other, but not both.

There is literally no point in DFA'ing Dunn.

Whats the point in letting him get AB's in September other than hoping for a miracle run winning 90% of the games from here on out?

And if teams are offering nothing and expecting the Sox to eat salary, it's likely because Adam Dunn hasn't been as productive as you feel he has been.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
Whats the point in letting him get AB's in September other than hoping for a miracle run winning 90% of the games from here on out?

And if teams are offering nothing and expecting the Sox to eat salary, it's likely because Adam Dunn hasn't been as productive as you feel he has been.

I am quite aware how productive Dunn has been. He's been one of the most productive DHs in the AL against RHP. He's just a platoon partner. He's worth a C prospect. Teams have not offered anything because they assume the Sox will want to get Dunn out (which I'm sure they do) and will do anything to get him out, accepting virtually nothing. It's a bad precedent to set. So you work from a leverage standpoint. Not just for this year, but for the future. If teams just assume you'll eat all the salary and accept nothing back in terms of prospects, you have already lost that battle. If you show teams that you are willing to follow through and continue playing these guys, then they will be more aware moving forward and will be more willing to accomodate to your needs. It's also a respectful thing to do to a veteran player.

I think he'll be gone by the 31st either way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
So how long until we get the first post about sending Garcia to AAA, and how they would rather have Jake Peavy back?

Don't you mean Rios (Leury Garcia)?

Or we're talking about Avisail, since he's already in AAA?

You mean not bringing him back up?

Peavy, after all, did beat the White Sox, although he hasn't beaten anyone else this season, so there's that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
I am quite aware how productive Dunn has been. He's been one of the most productive DHs in the AL against RHP. He's just a platoon partner. He's worth a C prospect. Teams have not offered anything because they assume the Sox will want to get Dunn out (which I'm sure they do) and will do anything to get him out, accepting virtually nothing. It's a bad precedent to set. So you work from a leverage standpoint. Not just for this year, but for the future. If teams just assume you'll eat all the salary and accept nothing back in terms of prospects, you have already lost that battle. If you show teams that you are willing to follow through and continue playing these guys, then they will be more aware moving forward and will be more willing to accomodate to your needs. It's also a respectful thing to do to a veteran player.

I think he'll be gone by the 31st either way.

I disagree with you, I think if there were teams that really were interested in Dunn and wanted to get him, it would have been done by now. If some team felt Dunn would make them better for the stretch run, they would have given up Jeff Soptic by now to acquire him, not play a two month long game of chicken with Rick Hahn to see if they can get for free instead of practically for nothing.

And there's nothing disrespectful about DFA'ing someone in this situation. MLB is a business, and I think Dunn, every fan, and every player could understand why Dunn could get DFA'd, whether you agree with it or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
So how long until we get the first post about sending Garcia to AAA, and how they would rather have Jake Peavy back?

If the Sox had a guy like Peavy in the dugout with all his fire and passion, the bullpen would be too scared to blow as many leads as they have. Sox would probably be in playoff contention.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
If the Sox had a guy like Peavy in the dugout with all his fire and passion, the bullpen would be too scared to blow as many leads as they have. Sox would probably be in playoff contention.

This has been verified by science.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)

Too bad he couldn't SCARE/INTIMIDATE the Detroit Tigers so easily.

He was either winless or one and something his entire Sox career against them. I'll never forget that game where we were up 5-0 in 2012 and then it completely disintegrated in the middle innings (with the help of a bad reliever again).