Avisail Garcia reportedly to join Sox next Tues (8/19)

caulfield12

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
This is true, but it's just much easier to fill one spot than two. There is always a mid-range FA outfielder out there to pick up for a not heavy salary if you need to.

With this team, the White Sox ought to be trying to find someone like Viciedo - talented guy with several arb years remaining who has failed to break out and whose team has soured on him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
With this team, the White Sox ought to be trying to find someone like Viciedo - talented guy with several arb years remaining who has failed to break out and whose team has soured on him.

That's the only way you'll prossibly get any value for him. I think someone like Dustin Ackley would be a realistic target.

I wouldn't have said this in the recent past, but I think of ADA, Tank, Sierra, and Danks, Viciedo is least likely to be here next year. I have a suspicion that ADA and Sierra will both be here next year. Perhaps both will be in reserve roles

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
I wouldn't have said this in the recent past, but I think of ADA, Tank, Sierra, and Danks, Viciedo is least likely to be here next year. I have a suspicion that ADA and Sierra will both be here next year. Perhaps both will be in reserve roles

I'm not sure the team can do that. If those two are your reserves, there is no backup CF. I don't think they would be comfortable with ADA as a CF for season.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
I'm not sure the team can do that. If those two are your reserves, there is no backup CF. I don't think they would be comfortable with ADA as a CF for season.

De Aza is the backup CF in that scenario. Jordan Danks is the emergency CF and he'll be stashed in Charlotte in that scenario. If for some silly reason they bring Garcia back he's another body that can fill in out there.

The problem is De Aza is going to be making around 4-6 million right? That's kinda pricey for a 4th OF. I think there is a decent chance he is traded around Christmas for bullpen arms or a Viciedo type another org has given up on.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
De Aza is the backup CF in that scenario. Jordan Danks is the emergency CF and he'll be stashed in Charlotte in that scenario. If for some silly reason they bring Garcia back he's another body that can fill in out there.

The problem is De Aza is going to be making around 4-6 million right? That's kinda pricey for a 4th OF. I think there is a decent chance he is traded around Christmas for bullpen arms or a Viciedo type another org has given up on.

They're not going to offer him salary arbitration and put him into the $4.5-6.5 million range where he becomes virtually a lock to stick with the team for another full season even if he's only the 4th outfielder.

That's not a good use of available resources, and then you're going to end up replacing him in 2015 so why not try to bring in someone who's going to be around for that 2016-2018 run?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
They're not going to offer him salary arbitration and put him into the $4.5-6.5 million range where he becomes virtually a lock to stick with the team for another full season even if he's only the 4th outfielder.

That's not a good use of available resources, and then you're going to end up replacing him in 2015 so why not try to bring in someone who's going to be around for that 2016-2018 run?

Well I think they will offer him Arb and then just trade him. Is the market that dead for a 1-2.5 WAR lefty outfielder with a couple years left in his prime?

I think the odd man out is Viciedo; I would not be surprised to see him dumped for a bag of balls.

ALSO, I LOVE AVI GARCIA! that is all.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)

Sorry, mistyped. I don't think they are comfortable with ADA as the backup CF. I wouldn't be. They need someone on the roster who is a capable backup CF.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Sorry, mistyped. I don't think they are comfortable with ADA as the backup CF. I wouldn't be. They need someone on the roster who is a capable backup CF.

This is my biggest concern with bringing De Aza back, but I also don't think he is a valueless player. That's the hardest part - at what point do you just say "we'll take the stuff you're offering" instead of getting absolutely nothing? I imagine these are the kinds of offers they have for Dunn and De Aza and it's just hard to accept those when your back isn't up against the wall. Come September 1st, I honestly do not expect either De Aza or Dunn to be on the White Sox roster.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
This is my biggest concern with bringing De Aza back, but I also don't think he is a valueless player. That's the hardest part - at what point do you just say "we'll take the stuff you're offering" instead of getting absolutely nothing? I imagine these are the kinds of offers they have for Dunn and De Aza and it's just hard to accept those when your back isn't up against the wall. Come September 1st, I honestly do not expect either De Aza or Dunn to be on the White Sox roster.

I agree that neither will be back. ADA is not a bad player but doesn't really fit. He would make too much money next year for a 4th OF. The Sox could let him go and re-sign him for less than the arb figure if no one else picks him up but I think someone will as he does have value.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)

He's not comfortable in CF, self-admittedly. I doubt the team wants him out there in anything but an emergency situation.

I really believe the Sox will find another OF, at that point it makes no sense to have De Aza or Viciedo on the roster as bench players making around $5 million when Jordan Danks can do it for $500k.

We are more than halfway through August, hasn't that time hit yet? Other teams may start to lose interest or take a backup option? Especially now that one of your core OFs has returned to the lineup.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
We are more than halfway through August, hasn't that time hit yet? Other teams may start to lose interest or take a backup option? Especially now that one of your core OFs has returned to the lineup.

Well once the rosters expand there is absolutely no excuse to have Dunn still around. De Aza they might think has more value in the winter.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)

It could also be that the Sox are looking at this similar to the 2009 season where they shipped Thome off to Los Angeles and Contreras off to Colorado right before the deadline to teams they're very sure will make the playoffs and they utlimately do get jack squat back for both players (unless the returns of Justin Fuller and Brandon Hynick got you warm in your giblets).