Screw the NYC Review Crew and Blowasavio

caulfield12

Guess that MLB wanted to keep the NL West interesting.

Harrelson's 100% correct. They might as well have the catchers wear skirts, stockings and garter belts.

Catchers should simply catch the ball, back up behind the plate and let every run score. Ty Cobb would be turning over in his grave.

As far as Rick Hahn goes, he's done one good thing in the last year or so, and that's Jose Abreu. (I'm not even going to give him credit for Rodon, because the Astros are 50% responsible for bungling that one).

Other than Jose, there would be a tremendous amount of pressure on him to keep his job for 2015.

Adam Eaton is injury prone (he will have missed about 25% of the games this season by the time he returns), and the jury's still out on Avisail Garcia (whether he can hit, play the field or keep from getting hurt). Matt Davidson has been a complete disaster. You can add that to Jeff Keppinger, Scott Downs, Paulino and Ronald Belisario.

If Hahn had any cojones, he would DFA Belisario and admit that signing has been a debacle as well before the bullpen returns home to be murdered by the Blue Jays and Orioles power hitters.

Poor Jose.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/ray...ion-rule-022414

Another viewpoint on the "obstructing" home plate rule from Joe Maddon...hadn't thought about that side of things

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11129670...ons-controversy

How the rule was misinterpreted on a force play where the runner was STILL called safe when he was clearly out but the catcher was "blocking the plate"...this rule doesn't even seem clear to the review panels

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog/2...rlins/13448865/

Everyone should read this story....after the Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton threw out a runner by 15 feet but it was overturned just like the play today. Lots of good comments from Mike Redmond, coaches, players, etc. Completely agree.

Make sure to watch the embedded video. That was even worse than the Flowers call today IMO.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
As far as Rick Hahn goes, he's done one good thing in the last year or so, and that's Jose Abreu. (I'm not even going to give him credit for Rodon, because the Astros are 50% responsible for bungling that one).

Other than Jose, there would be a tremendous amount of pressure on him to keep his job for 2015.

Wot.

Its his second year as GM, and only first year in a rebuild. Give it a little time, man.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
I'm going to try and stay positive and suggest that who knows, maybe this will keep the team in the top 10 draft pick when the season ends.

I just feel bad for Flowers but especially Jose Quintana. He pitched his heart out and didn't deserve that terrible fate of 4 earned runs after entering the inning with a shutout.

It seems he just completely comes undone this year whenever something bad happens in an inning, whether it's an error but also as things unfolded today...you just KNEW that big hit was coming as soon as you saw Belisario entering the game.

Hopefully this play, the one in the Reds/Marlins game....and the earlier one where a forceout was accidentally reversed because the catcher was blocking the plate even without a tag play being on.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
Wot.

Its his second year as GM, and only first year in a rebuild. Give it a little time, man.

We were already rebuilding in June/July last year when we started to trade our veteran core away.

In the end, while Eaton has played well while actually ON the field, he's spent too much time off it. If we can't count on either Eaton or Garcia to stay healthy, well...there's not much they can do...as they won't blow things up completely with Sale/Abreu but you can't turn around a roster completely in even two years without a strong minor league system and the willingness to increase spending back to the $110-125 million mark again.

It's hard to imagine how long it will take to see that payroll again, because the board of directors will simply point to the lowered attendance and continued stream of lost sponsorships/revenue stream(s).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
I just feel bad for Flowers but especially Jose Quintana. He pitched his heart out and didn't deserve that terrible fate of 4 earned runs after entering the inning with a shutout.

It seems he just completely comes undone this year whenever something bad happens in an inning, whether it's an error but also as things unfolded today...you just KNEW that big hit was coming as soon as you saw Belisario entering the game.

Hopefully this play, the one in the Reds/Marlins game....and the earlier one where a forceout was accidentally reversed because the catcher was blocking the plate even without a tag play being on.

I thought Beli should have been cut loose a few weeks ago. Having said that, his pitch to a guy hitting .330 was on the outside corner that he dinked into leftfield. Giants had a few cheap hits off Quintana that inning as well. Just a lucky inning for them saved by a half-ass call.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)

What?

1. Jose Abreu was a massive, MASSIVE win. In that one move, Hahn improved the team for up to six years more than most teams improved in the entire offseason combined.

2. Adam Eaton has a 116 wRC+ in centerfield. Do you realize what an incredibly valuable asset that is? And he's pre-arbitration? Maybe he's injury prone, maybe he's not. The reality is that he's put up 2 fWAR so far DESPITE missing all that time. He's played like a 3.5ish win player over a full season, and if if he never DOES play a full season, he's still going to come up above average in total production. Five more years of control!

3. He signed Jose Quintana to an awesome team-friendly extension, giving us two of the most valuable under 25 starters in the majors under control until like 2020 or something.

That is a WIN offseason any way you slice it. Ok so his bullpen reclamation projects didn't pan out (partially thanks to injury) in year ONE of a rebuild, and you're telling me he'd be fighting for a job if not for Abreu? lol

But I get it. You're frustrated about the game and I am too. It's alright -- it'll pass. Take a deep breath and realize we have some bright days ahead of us. *big hug*

Edited by Eminor3rd

Hahn also orchestrated Chris Sale's extension.

Trading for Avi, Montas, Rondon, and Wendelken.

Drafting Anderson, Adams, Danish and yes, Rodon.

Trading for Davidson was a good move and still can have pay off, plus trading Jeff Soptic for Conor.

Signing Noesi off the scrap heap all KW style.

Give it time.

And yes, f*** the NYC Review team.

LOL Hahn fighting for his job? Are you kidding me? Did you see the bottom 1/3 MLB talent and perhaps worst in MLB farm he inherrited? Both are now middle of the road after 15 month on the job.

Give it time people nobody expected anything this year other than a rebuild and quite a few more losses. That they stuck around .500 well into July speaks volumes about what Hahn has done. You're not going to give him credit for Rodon? Well two other teams were stupid enough to pass on the best arm in the draft so gee maybe we should give him credit for not over thinking it and doing the right thing.

What exactly should he have done if you want him fired? Please tell me all the genius moves that would have taken this team from 68 wins to 95 without going into Yankees/Dodgers payroll.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

My problem with the rule is that it would been a close play that blanc had a fair chance of scoring or the blocking of the plate had an effect on him getting there then I can see it. But Blanco was out by 15 feet, he had no chance, that's what stinks about it. He got to score when he was not going to. Instead of the defense being rewarded it got penalized for a good play. I mean there should be situations when it's used, this one not so much.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)
My problem with the rule is that it would been a close play that blanc had a fair chance of scoring or the blocking of the plate had an effect on him getting there then I can see it. But Blanco was out by 15 feet, he had no chance, that's what stinks about it. He got to score when he was not going to. Instead of the defense being rewarded it got penalized for a good play. I mean there should be situations when it's used, this one not so much.

Yeah, I don't understand why it is blocking the plate if the runner is nowhere near the plate, and if he has the ball, he has to be able to get in front of the plate or there is a good chance the runner can avoid him.

I am all for protecting catchers. But to me the vast majority of big collisions at the plate were guys who where out by 15 feet thinking their only chance was to barrel into the catcher, and hoping the ball was jarred loose.

I don't even know if the rule was interpreted correctly today, but that play isn't baseball. It is really a shame that calls like that continue. Like the transfer rule, it needs to be changed now, not 2015. Today's game is really meaningless for the White Sox. That call changing a game in a game that really matters would be a disgrace.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
Yeah, I don't understand why it is blocking the plate if the runner is nowhere near the plate, and if he has the ball, he has to be able to get in front of the plate or there is a good chance the runner can avoid him.

I am all for protecting catchers. But to me the vast majority of big collisions at the plate were guys who where out by 15 feet thinking their only chance was to barrel into the catcher, and hoping the ball was jarred loose.

I don't even know if the rule was interpreted correctly today, but that play isn't baseball. It is really a shame that calls like that continue. Like the transfer rule, it needs to be changed now, not 2015. Today's game is really meaningless for the White Sox. That call changing a game in a game that really matters would be a disgrace.

Technically it isn't meaningless for the Giants, who are in contention for the wild card. In fact, I think they are currently tied for the 2nd wild card spot with the Cardinals.

That call means a lot to the Cardinals, Dodgers, Pirates and MAYBE the Braves.

I guess if we finish with the 7th-10th pick in the first round of the draft, we can't/won't say it's a meaningless loss, either...just like the Cubs beating us head-to-head last year gets thrown out as the reason we now have Rodon and they got "stuck" with Schwarber instead of Rodon.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
Technically it isn't meaningless for the Giants, who are in contention for the wild card. In fact, I think they are currently tied for the 2nd wild card spot with the Cardinals.

That is true. SF still might have won, but that call changed things dramatically. At least the loss is no big deal.

I was excited about replay, but a few things make it suck. The challenges take too long. Now any close play the manager comes out to stall so someone can check the call, adding even more downtime to a game desperate to rid itself of such, and I really had no idea how many calls there are that simply there isn't enough evidence to overturn.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)

Adam Eaton is injury prone (he will have missed about 25% of the games this season by the time he returns), and the jury's still out on Avisail Garcia (whether he can hit, play the field or keep from getting hurt). Matt Davidson has been a complete disaster. You can add that to Jeff Keppinger, Scott Downs, Paulino and Ronald Belisario.

If Hahn had any cojones, he would DFA Belisario and admit that signing has been a debacle as well before the bullpen returns home to be murdered by the Blue Jays and Orioles power hitters.

I agree - DFA Balisario.

Every GM is going to have some minor misses; he had a lot of them, but they can be overcome. He also had a couple of big wins.

His biggest blunder (and it may have been forced by Riensdorf and/or Williams) was signing Robin Ventura to a long term extension. Didn't want to risk another team stealing that high-end managerial talent from us?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
That call means a lot to the Cardinals, Dodgers, Pirates and MAYBE the Braves.

I guess if we finish with the 7th-10th pick in the first round of the draft, we can't/won't say it's a meaningless loss, either...just like the Cubs beating us head-to-head last year gets thrown out as the reason we now have Rodon and they got "stuck" with Schwarber instead of Rodon.

The Sox did only score 1 so they would have had to shut them out or win in extra innings. I don't know if the bullpen was up to the task or not if that call wasn't overturned. Maybe Q could have finished it out if things didn't go haywire.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 06:54 PM)
I still don't understand why Guerra wasn't the pitcher you bring in that situation, as statistically he has been better than pretty much anyone but Putnam the last couple of months.

Oh, well.

#drivetoprotecteddraftpick

In the fury over the call, that aspect is missed - Belisario was basically the worst choice the Sox could have made.