Screw the NYC Review Crew and Blowasavio

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
But really, how many collisions at the plate were really close plays? It seems to me the vast majority of them where guys who where out by 20 feet only having one option. Make that an automatic out and ejection and go back to playing how the game was played for over 100 years.

What if the ball isn't secured in the catcher's mitt...for example, it's a snowcone and sticking out of the top of the mitt? Or he's juggling the ball, etc?

Then you're going to have situations where the runner's out if he makes contact with the catcher even though he dropped the ball. Well, I guess that's still better than the last couple of games in SF.

Surprised it hasn't happened a LOT more than 9 times already this season. That alone would make me believe the rule's not being applied equally/appropriately by all the crews.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
What if the ball isn't secured in the catcher's mitt...for example, it's a snowcone and sticking out of the top of the mitt? Or he's juggling the ball, etc?

Then you're going to have situations where the runner's out if he makes contact with the catcher even though he dropped the ball. Well, I guess that's still better than the last couple of games in SF.

Surprised it hasn't happened a LOT more than 9 times already this season. That alone would make me believe the rule's not being applied equally/appropriately by all the crews.

I'm sure it's because managers are baseball people and calling a guy out on a play like yesterday isn't baseball. I'm not faulting Bochy for challenging, it may have won him the game, but I don't think 30 managers challenge that play. I don't think 10 do.

To be honest if that happened with Posey catching and a Sox runner, I don't even think Soxtalk would have been up in arms if Robin didn't challenge it.

Edited by Dick Allen

I wanted to copy/paste something that I had written in the game thread here too. Thought others might feel the same way.

Ya know, I think rules like those in sports just make it hard to actually be a fanatic. You feel good when they get the out at home, but then in the back of your mind - will they review this and call some blocking the plate BS when he was easily out and the placement of his foot had no bearing on the play? Same thing in football now, a DB breaks up a play over the middle with a good hit and.......ref throws the flag for "hitting him too hard." Even though there was no malicious intent, guy aimed for the midsection, but the WR lowered his head at the end....or there was no helmet contact at all and the ref just blew the call, as they often do.

Just tough to watch and actually root for your team like you used to.

I understand the need to keep players safe, but it might hurt sports in the long run.

totally agree, I've had that feeling for a few years now with football, can't get too excited, there could be a flag or a challenge. Now those feelings/reactions are moving over to baseball too.