Carlos Rodon to Charlotte

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)
Seriously, those extra few losses last year might be huge for the immediate future of this franchise.

Along with the stupidity of the Astros and Marlins.

But also remember, those of us that pulled for the team to lose back then were not real fans.

This is just awesome!

I'd like to take the time to point out that I was wrong for hoping the Sox would have been able to draft Aiken or Kolek ahead of Rodon. Again, I was wrong! Happily wrong that is! :D

Thank you Astros and Marlins. I love you both.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
Not saying you can't, I mean the people that said people who pulled for losses aren't real fans.

Rooting for losses is unquestionably a s***ty thing to do. I don't care to question your fandom. The Sox still shouldn't have landed Rodon. He probably shouldn't have slipped. Would the losses be worth it then? It's just an ugly argument. I'd rather just play the ignorance card when the team isn't in contention (like now) and then be pleased to see a high draft pick after the fact. Rooting for losses would feel really dirty.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)
Rooting for losses is unquestionably a s***ty thing to do. I don't care to question your fandom. The Sox still shouldn't have landed Rodon. He probably shouldn't have slipped. Would the losses be worth it then? It's just an ugly argument. I'd rather just play the ignorance card when the team isn't in contention (like now) and then be pleased to see a high draft pick after the fact. Rooting for losses would feel really dirty.

I'm down.

But as others have said, just enjoy the now and having Rodon.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)

It didn't feel dirty at all. If I believe losing was the best thing for the franchise, why should I feel dirty about that?

I'm in total disagreement with handling of Assignment for Rodon. The biggest jump in the minors is High A to AA. There is no reason to rush Rodon to the majors. Boras is his agent and not good idea to start his clock. Also, if we are expecting Rodon to cut a Sale or Quintana no chance with Boras at the helm. Only thing I can think of is the Sox made a promise to Boras/Rodon when signing to bring more money to his pocket. Yes we did it with Sale, but he also did sign at the slot recommendation and his agent has had great relations with our front office. Also, we will have to add Rodon to the 40 man roster and their will be some tough decisions on who to keep this offseason. No need to rush him up. Everyone knows his future is bright.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
I'm in total disagreement with handling of Assignment for Rodon. The biggest jump in the minors is High A to AA. There is no reason to rush Rodon to the majors. Boras is his agent and not good idea to start his clock. Also, if we are expecting Rodon to cut a Sale or Quintana no chance with Boras at the helm. Only thing I can think of is the Sox made a promise to Boras/Rodon when signing to bring more money to his pocket. Yes we did it with Sale, but he also did sign at the slot recommendation and his agent has had great relations with our front office. Also, we will have to add Rodon to the 40 man roster and their will be some tough decisions on who to keep this offseason. No need to rush him up. Everyone knows his future is bright.

My guess is that Hahn thinks the team is ready to compete in 2015 and they want Rodon starting the year in Chicago.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
It didn't feel dirty at all. If I believe losing was the best thing for the franchise, why should I feel dirty about that?

There's nothing wrong with wanting your team to lose or even cheering for it. It's another thing to come on a Sox message board and be obnoxious about it like a certain poster did.

As a fan I want what's best for the team in the long term. If there is no chance for glory this year, and the best chance to win down the road is to hit bottom wins wise, then that is the best strategy. It's ok to lose a battle to win a war. Wise people should see that. Case in point, I don't see a lot of value for Rodon to come up this year in terms of getting closer to another World Series. If nothing it would worsen the chance slightly by starting the clock early on a guy we know will be hard to hang onto once we lose control. And the payback is? Excitement in meaningless September games? No thanks, stick to the best strategy, not taking lesser steps to placate the fans that need something shiny in front of them to feel better. I cringe listening to the fans across town who demand their top prospects join the team immediately. It shows they either don't understand the situation, have no patience, or both. Let's not pay for meaningless September short term enjoyment with future victories and success.