Carlos Rodon to Charlotte

GGajewski18

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
As a fan I want what's best for the team in the long term. If there is no chance for glory this year, and the best chance to win down the road is to hit bottom wins wise, then that is the best strategy. It's ok to lose a battle to win a war. Wise people should see that. Case in point, I don't see a lot of value for Rodon to come up this year in terms of getting closer to another World Series. If nothing it would worsen the chance slightly by starting the clock early on a guy we know will be hard to hang onto once we lose control. And the payback is? Excitement in meaningless September games? No thanks, stick to the best strategy, not taking lesser steps to placate the fans that need something shiny in front of them to feel better. I cringe listening to the fans across town who demand their top prospects join the team immediately. It shows they either don't understand the situation, have no patience, or both. Let's not pay for meaningless September short term enjoyment with future victories and success.

The payback is a taste of the Show and preparedness for a whole season of being in the rotation, and working with Coop, while also increasing his overall innings load for the season slightly to help with next year's durability. The excitement is really just a bonus.

If the staff feels he's ready, we should trust them, imo. We're talking about pitchers here - the track record for promotions is decent.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

I was in for losses in order to make our team better and have a great draft spot. It worked out great. Rooting for losses has 0 outcome on the games, therefore, doesn't make fans any worse. Winning games at the end of the year could've cost us Rodon. Rodon needs to be in the rotation next year so I'm all for him getting a few starts to end the year. Get his major league jitters out and be fine for next year.

The fact that we got the best player in the draft at 3 tells you all you need to know about the entire process. Higher pick isn't always better. We didn't need to lose more than HOU or FLA to get Rodon. The Angels didn't need to miss the playoffs to get Mike Trout. Do your best on the field and do your best with your pick.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
The fact that we got the best player in the draft at 3 tells you all you need to know about the entire process. Higher pick isn't always better. We didn't need to lose more than HOU or FLA to get Rodon. The Angels didn't need to miss the playoffs to get Mike Trout. Do your best on the field and do your best with your pick.

And if we didn't lose a couple more games than the Cubs then we wouldn't have got Rodon. The number 1 pick isn't always going to be the best player in the draft but I'm always going to want my choice of player if possible.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)

I'd say Mike Trout is more the exception, not the rule. The top 10 usually contains the best chance of walking away with a star, top 5 even more. After that the odds start really stacking against you. There will always be later round exceptions, but the odds of finding that needle amongst the hay are not good. Years of being good, not great, and not bad, is part of the reason the White Sox farm system became so poor. If you plan on overpaying for free agents year after year, then this isn't as big of a problem. I don't see that situation happening for the Sox anytime soon though.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
3 starrts, then he joins Chicago bullpen, according to Stoney today.

I think that was the original plan (the bullpen), but I'm wondering if they possibly scrapped that and he'll get into a 6 man rotation--especially after September 5th when there's only one off day left. So maybe Stone is going by old information.

But I definitely think they have every intention of Rodon starting in the rotation from the beginning of the season in 2015. Now that they know what they have with Jose Abreu, they have to at least try to field a team that has a chance of winning. Starting Scott Carroll over Carlos Rodon wouldn't be a good move. So hopefully 2015-2020 Rodon and Sale put up 190 starts each, and the team wins games and get in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
The fact that we got the best player in the draft at 3 tells you all you need to know about the entire process. Higher pick isn't always better.

There is some chance that it's slightly too early to proclaim Rodon or anyone else the best player. You can comfortably say he was the closest to major league ready.