Abreu writes about his first season in MLB

southsider2k5

"From Konerko, I’ve learned how to take advantage of all the pitching analysis that is available, although I must confess that I’m not the type of guy who likes to read too much of that, since I’ve got my own method to analyze pitchers."

I wonder what his own method is

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)
"From Konerko, I’ve learned how to take advantage of all the pitching analysis that is available, although I must confess that I’m not the type of guy who likes to read too much of that, since I’ve got my own method to analyze pitchers."

I wonder what his own method is

See ball. Hit ball. Hard. Ball go far.

Speaks very highly of Dunn as a positive clubhouse presence:

Both Konerko and Dunn have helped me to stay relaxed, to avoid feeling pressured when things don’t go my way, to avoid the frustration after failing to achieve something that I think I could have done easily.

Dunn is always looking for different ways to keep the team in good spirits, so we cannot lose the battle against pressure. I still laugh every time I see Phil, the toy chimp he’s got in his locker. There was one time when he brought a toy bird that made a very weird noise. The first time I heard that bird, it really scared me a lot. Now, I just laugh.

The way Konerko and Dunn handle every situation helps the team. It has helped me to control the different scenarios that might happen at this level, both on the field and inside the clubhouse.

I think that both Konerko and Dunn have provided examples that have helped me to complement my plan, the very same plan taught by my father that has been improved. I hope to be able to follow their examples, and continue to take advantage of every single opportunity, as long as the Lord allows me to do so.

This is the type of thing, I think, that might explain why Hahn hasn't just given Dunn away for salary relief. I have no doubt he'd move him for even a marginally interesting prospect, but it very well may be worth the salary to keep him around the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)

This is the type of thing, I think, that might explain why Hahn hasn't just given Dunn away for salary relief. I have no doubt he'd move him for even a marginally interesting prospect, but it very well may be worth the salary to keep him around the clubhouse.

Contrast that with an organization like Houston that is strictly about what their metrics tell them. I think this is why players want to come here, and are willing to take way under market value deals to stay here.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)

Sorry, E, generally love your insight but must take exception here. For the vast majority of Dunn's time here, the team's culture has been a losing one. Losing cultures need change - more than we've had to this point. I hope the guy gets to a contender and gets to see the playoffs for once in a terrific career. By all accounts he's a great guy. But his clubhouse presence really should not be a consideration, at all.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
[/b]

Sorry, E, generally love your insight but must take exception here. For the vast majority of Dunn's time here, the team's culture has been a losing one. Losing cultures need change - more than we've had to this point. I hope the guy gets to a contender and gets to see the playoffs for once in a terrific career. By all accounts he's a great guy. But his clubhouse presence really should not be a consideration, at all.

I'm not necessarily taking a side on it (though reading my post, it definitely sounds like I was) -- I have no idea how much clubhouse presence is worth or if Dunn's is overrated or underrated -- I'm just saying that might be what the front office is thinking.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
[/b]

If stop and think about it a bit, there might not be two veteran major leaguers who can teach Jose about how to handle failure in baseball. Both of them had some of the longest stretches of continued failure for guys considered very good MLB players for their career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
If stop and think about it a bit, there might not be two veteran major leaguers who can teach Jose about how to handle failure in baseball. Both of them had some of the longest stretches of continued failure for guys considered very good MLB players for their career.

To invoke Adam's prophetic walk-up tune, it's time to "Turn the Page".