2014 Fantasy Football Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm pretty sure the trade was proposed and accepted on the site, the commish just had to approve. So it was technically agreed to and completed and then the commissioner decided to abuse his power.

Oh, then I'd personally quit the league yesterday.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Yeah, Steve, you're right. I never logged in to ESPN to accept the trade. It was still sitting out there open. I guess I could have done it from my phone, but I was just waiting until we got home.

Technically, there is a 2-day veto period. So trades don't go through for 48 hours. In our league, however, we just ask the commish to push it through without having to wait so that people can make wavier claims, other trades, etc.

Like you said, you should never mention a trade to anyone else until it's officially accepted. I know that. But as I mentioned, the only reason I even told him was because I needed his help pushing it through so that I could make waiver claims last night and add a new TE. I certainly would never tell anyone else in our league.

There it is. Sure, the commish was a dick, but he undercut a deal that was not yet agreed-to on the league page. It was s***ty, but in the end it's your fault.

Man, I drove to Rockford on Sunday morning to visit my Dad in the hospital. I got home at like 11:55am and went straight to the pc to see if I could salvage something given I had Arian Foster. I went to add Lorenzo Taliaferro, but he was already locked. Of course, he goes off and is the #1 waiver claim.

I hate fantasy football.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
There it is. Sure, the commish was a dick, but he undercut a deal that was not yet agreed-to on the league page. It was s***ty, but in the end it's your fault.

I'm not excusing the commissioner for a clear abuse of power. I put 95% on the commish and 5% on him.

You simply can't have a commish that is a dick or pulling shady stuff.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
I'm not excusing the commissioner for a clear abuse of power. I put 95% on the commish and 5% on him.

Completely agree. I'm so glad and always make sure to let my commish (also my good buddy) in my league know how nice it is. Commish should have a little extra authority to ensure things are fair (that no one is paying someone a kick back to sneak a trade through, etc). A good commish can make / break a league. I do like the idea you proposed about the whole league having first right of refusal but then it also kind of takes the sport out of being the aggressor on the trade market, etc. Kind of weak too.

I prefer having a vote system with the commish having the authority to step in and an alternate commish who steps into affairs in which the commish's team is involved (in this case I'm the alt commish). Even then it usually goes to a full vote with a majority rules. Rare that it happens cause in my league everyone plays fair but we've had a few teams come into our league who pull some extremely shady inter trades that you need to have commish get involved (where clearly a last place team is making a move). Those teams are not invited back. We also added in the bonus payment that the last place team has to pay (to ensure everyone is playing all the way to the end).

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)

What if he'd just told some random owner and the same thing happened? I mean, s***ty commish, but nothing went wrong. It's not like he knew of the deal because he's the commish, he knew of the deal because his roommate is a silly, trusting bastard.

This is akin to when the Tigers stole Miggy from Kenny Williams.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
What if he'd just told some random owner and the same thing happened? I mean, s***ty commish, but nothing went wrong. It's not like he knew of the deal because he's the commish, he knew of the deal because his roommate is a silly, trusting bastard.

He said he specifically told him so that he, as commish, could get the trade pushed through.

So I ask him "Hey, when we get home, will you go ahead and approve a trade I just made?" He says sure, then he asks who I traded for. I tell him because I didn't think it was a big deal.
Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
He said he specifically told him so that he, as commish, could get the trade pushed through.

Exactly. That's the thing, he didn't tell some random owner. Since he was the commissioner, he was able to pull this off. If I'm dasox, I'm pissed. If I'm anyone else in the league, I'm pissed too, I didn't have the chance to "one up" the trade either, only he did since he's commissioner.

Something did go wrong. Commissioner used his power to get someone else to back out of a deal that was already proposed, by that guy, and agreed to via email or text or whatever. The only way he knew of the trade was because he was the commish.

This happens all the time in leagues, where someone will let the commish know to push a trade through quickly please so we can make corresponding roster moves. Just because dasox didn't hit "accept" on the little button doesn't open the door to let commish do whatever he wants. He was already going to do so when they got back in.

You can't say he's a s***ty commish but also that nothing went wrong. It's one or the other.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
This is why dasox must access the commish's account and destroy the league for its own good.

I'd be sending an email to the entire league, so they know what happened.

And honestly, I'd seriously consider leaving the league. Stuff like this is how leagues end up falling apart.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I'd be sending an email to the entire league, so they know what happened.

And honestly, I'd seriously consider leaving the league. Stuff like this is how leagues end up falling apart.

I thought about it. But in the end, it's all my best friends from college so I'm not going to want to leave. The hope is that this league will last a long time and is an additional way to keep in touch with everyone. I will, however, suggest we replace our commish next year. Not going to let him ruin this whole thing we have going.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
This is why dasox must access the commish's account and destroy the league for its own good.

:lol:

I appreciate all the feedback in this thread. I really do. I'm just glad to know I wasn't overreacting in being pissed.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
I thought about it. But in the end, it's all my best friends from college so I'm not going to want to leave. The hope is that this league will last a long time and is an additional way to keep in touch with everyone. I will, however, suggest we replace our commish next year. Not going to let him ruin this whole thing we have going.

We had to replace the commish in our fraternity league from college. It sucks, because he's obviously a close friend of the group, but he was inactive and slow in getting invites out and getting the league set up, and he was bad about letting the league run and govern itself as opposed to just making decisions. He was also bad about replacing guys - we had a guy get booted from the league because he was technically blacklisted within the fraternity even though he kept a close relationship with everyone, but there were a few members who had a problem with that - and we had a guy named "Dane" in our league who he swore was a legitimate person but we all facetiously suggested was just a second team for him. Given that he was the commish, we had no way of checking out if he was legit or not. After that clusterf***, he basically said "I'm out next year, find a new commish next year guys." We did and it's awesome.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Did "dane" disappear when your friend did?

Naturally, but the reasoning we heard was that "Dane didn't want to be in the league if I wasn't in the league" or something along those lines, which makes sense if you don't know anybody...but also makes sense if you just wanted to run 2 teams.

I didn't have any reason to believe that he would actively mislead us, and there weren't any lop-sided trades between the two, but it was a pretty active league as far as trash talking goes and he just never said anything even when people talked to him.

So I made a couple of trades...

I transformed this:

QB Foles

HB1 Charles

HB2 Stacy

WR1 Nelson

WR2 Maclin

FLEX Sanders

RB3 Ridley

WR3 Crabtree

WR4 Boldin

into this...

QB Foles

HB1 Charles

HB2 Morris

WR1 Nelson

WR2 Sanders

FLEX Cobb

RB3 Ridley

WR3 Crabtree

WR4 White

Trade 1: Morris and White for Maclin and Boldin

Trade 2: Stacy for Cobb

I used my WR depth to score Morris. Then I used my RB depth to get Cobb.

I had been trying to get Morris for Stacy and this accomplishes that and then some. I basically replace Maclin with Cobb, which I'm fine with. Now I'll have a dilemma every week as to who to start as my WR2 and FLEX.

Before you tell me my league's too easy, bear in mind this is a 12 team league that's played together for 4 years now.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Someone actively wanted Anquan Boldin?

No, someone really wanted Jeremy Maclin. I told him I wanted more than just Morris for Maclin and he offered up Roddy White and Morris. I couldn't say no. I didn't want to just release Boldin so I threw him in there since he's my worst position player.

The guy I traded with was stacked at RB (Forte, Morris, Bradshaw, Donald Brown, Miller), but didn't have any great wideouts (White, Colston, Welker).

So it was a trade that alleviated both of our problems. I just ended up on the better end of it (at least it seems that way for now).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
I run my sister's team in her office league. It's a 14 team league where waivers reset to worst record first. I am 2-1 and just picked up Vernon Davis on waivers. I am going to feel dumb when I don't win the championship.

Vernon Davis was on waivers in a 14 team league?? Wow.