8/21 Games

GGajewski18

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
Nope. This was a 99 loss team, there was no reason for a guy like Gillaspie to be starting at 3B for this team. Davidson was ready and played well in his call up with Arizona the season before. Just because it "worked out" doesn't make it the right move. Gillaspie is worthless to this team, and he will never be on a Sox playoff team. Davidson should have been up here from the get go. Instead, they shipped him to AAA when he shouldnt have been and that to me seems like the biggest reason for his struggles as most of his stats line up with what he did in the minors before.

You can't be serious. This is jokes, right?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
You can't be serious. This is jokes, right?

Yes, totally joking. I forgot that at communist soxtalk people don't discuss when they don't agree with you they just make wise ass one liners and try to be cute.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
Yes, totally joking. I forgot that at communist soxtalk people don't discuss when they don't agree with you they just make wise ass one liners and try to be cute.

If there is one thing that communists are known for, it is cute wise-ass one liners.

And yet, no one can back up any reason as to why Davidson wasn't ready. Based on what he did in Arizona last season, and then his .308/.341/.564/.906 slash line from spring training, I am suppose to buy into him not being ready? Sorry, that's not good enough. Now I will wait patiently for the next textbook soxtalk poster to tell me that on a board that has greg constantly posting, I am posting some of the most illogical stuff you've seen.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
And yet, no one can back up any reason as to why Davidson wasn't ready. Based on what he did in Arizona last season, and then his .308/.341/.564/.906 slash line from spring training, I am suppose to buy into him not being ready? Sorry, that's not good enough. Now I will wait patiently for the next textbook soxtalk poster to tell me that on a board that has greg constantly posting, I am posting some of the most illogical stuff you've seen.

Putting aside those small sample sizes of his play during his September call-up with the D'Backs and during spring training, an entire season's worth of futility in AAA is more than enough proof that he wasn't/isn't ready to be a full-time ML player. Your entire argument is based on "we don't know how he would have performed had he been with the ML team from the get-go."

Well, based on his play in AAA, it probably would have been horrid.

Your blatant disregard for Gillaspie and his "two month hot streak"as you called it is ironic given all the hoops you're willing to jump through to defend Davidson.

Davidson has the higher ceiling, but Gillaspie is far and away the better player and there's a decent chance he always will be.

You bought into Davidson's hype as a prospect and therefore anything Gillaspie did would not have been good enough in your eyes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
Gillaspie turning into a starting MLB third baseman was a pleasant bonus.

Is he a starting MLB third baseman? Defensively, he's just not there.

I do think he can hit. The Sox should see if he can help at other positions. Can he play some OF? Nothing wrong with a good LF platoon.

I'd like to see the Sox do that to Phegley too, as it's obvious he can't catch; and they'll need to figure out a position for Ravelo before they just give him away.

Mitchell continues to bash. He's born again hard.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:05 PM)
Is he a starting MLB third baseman? Defensively, he's just not there.

I disagree hes a slightly below average third basemen if you're to believe the defensive metrics and hes a 2 win platoon bat that is really nice to have for cheap. My hope is next year provided Saladino recovers from TJ that they use him as his platoon partner. I would like to believe even with this horrid year Davidson is the future for this franchise since power is so scarce in the game but I'm a proponent of Conor being teamed up with a competent defender and hitter as a lions share of a platoon.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 08:06 PM)
lol, Gillaspie is not a starting position player at the MLB level. Get his two month hot streak out of your head, jesus. No one knows how Davidson would have played had he started in Chicago, so your argument that he wouldn't have been ready is just as "illogical" as me thinking getting sent back to AAA didn't have something to do with him struggling, even if its not the only reason.

I disagree. Gillaspie has shown he can play over a full season. All Star no. Solid regular, sp far.

You can say you think Davidson would have done well. However, there are 2 things we know.

1.Davidson had a bad year. He could very well have had a bad years if they kept.

2. Gillaspie had a good year at the MLB level.

Everything else is just guessing.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:00 PM)
Putting aside those small sample sizes of his play during his September call-up with the D'Backs and during spring training, an entire season's worth of futility in AAA is more than enough proof that he wasn't/isn't ready to be a full-time ML player. Your entire argument is based on "we don't know how he would have performed had he been with the ML team from the get-go."

Well, based on his play in AAA, it probably would have been horrid.

Your blatant disregard for Gillaspie and his "two month hot streak"as you called it is ironic given all the hoops you're willing to jump through to defend Davidson.

Davidson has the higher ceiling, but Gillaspie is far and away the better player and there's a decent chance he always will be.

You bought into Davidson's hype as a prospect and therefore anything Gillaspie did would not have been good enough in your eyes.

Great post all around.

His entire 2014 season is the perfect example of why Davidson wasn't ready. If the season he just hasn't isn't evidence enough, nothing really will be.

Davidson had a good spring but remember in the first week of the season, Hawk and Stone both brought up and agreed that during spring training nobody was hitting the ball harder and barreling up more balls than Conor Gillaspie.

It was not a stats thing. It was eye test thing from the high FO down to the players. Instead of discarding Gillaspie for nothing and going with Davidson out of the gate, they took the free, display hot-hitting Connor Gillaspie to other teams approach while Davidson hones it a bit more. Remember, the plan was for Davidson to tear it up in AAA this year and force a trade of the now valuable Gillaspie. It was all looking like genius bonus, for Soptic haha, RH strikes again!

3B depth was about to be a pleasant surprise surplus but Matt Davidson went and f***ed all that up this year. Now we can't even trade him and his down ass value.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
I disagree hes a slightly below average third basemen if you're to believe the defensive metrics and hes a 2 win platoon bat that is really nice to have for cheap. My hope is next year provided Saladino recovers from TJ that they use him as his platoon partner. I would like to believe even with this horrid year Davidson is the future for this franchise since power is so scarce in the game but I'm a proponent of Conor being teamed up with a competent defender and hitter as a lions share of a platoon.

I don't think he has the range this team needs...it's a ground ball staff (and that's not changing) and too much gets through.

I agree that he's a good platoon hitter. (and you know you're a platoon hitter when Flowers pinch hits for you). That's why I'm thinking LF....he should be able to play OF if he can play 3B.

I'm not giving up on Davidson. I just don't give up on talented young players after 1 bad year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)
I don't think he has the range this team needs...it's a ground ball staff (and that's not changing) and too much gets through.

I agree that he's a good platoon hitter. (and you know you're a platoon hitter when Flowers pinch hits for you). That's why I'm thinking LF....he should be able to play OF if he can play 3B.

I'm not giving up on Davidson. I just don't give up on talented young players after 1 bad year.

I would also like to see Gillaspie try to expand his versatility by playing LF. Ditto Ravelo.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)

I'm not giving up on Davidson either. I'm just saying it doesn't look like he was ready. I'm not sure Gillaspie can be a 3B either. however, I think he can be a good hitter in the MLB.

No idea what this board's love affair with Gillaspie is....he's a fine UTL guy to have off of the bench, but no idea why anybody thinks he's a long term solution for this team. I fully expect him to be replaced by the time we are serious contenders. May or may not be by Davidson, but he's below average in the field, average at best speed and has little to no power. And then there's his wildly unrealistic to repeat .350 BABIP this year....again, Davidson may not be the answer, but other options should definitely be explored. Same with 2b and DH

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)
No idea what this board's love affair with Gillaspie is....he's a fine UTL guy to have off of the bench, but no idea why anybody thinks he's a long term solution for this team. I fully expect him to be replaced by the time we are serious contenders. May or may not be by Davidson, but he's below average in the field, average at best speed and has little to no power. And then there's his wildly unrealistic to repeat .350 BABIP this year....again, Davidson may not be the answer, but other options should definitely be explored. Same with 2b and DH

Well he's youngish, cost controlled (aka cheap) and has a wRC+ of 142 against RHP and 116 for his career. His defense is cromulent if not ideal and baserunning? How many 3B can run?

Anyways, he's a pretty nice asset. He needs a platoon partner but it's the easier (righty) side to fill. Hell, it could be davidson next june.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)

All the Semien fans are up in arms over Sanchez getting called up and Merkin saying Johnson is the future at 2B are forgetting the Sox saw Semien as a 3B.

Davidson is not the answer. If he can't make contact against AAA trash, his destiny is determined, not to mention he is not a good defensive player.

He put up good numbers in Reno, but he basically had a team average OPS.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 11:40 PM)
All the Semien fans are up in arms over Sanchez getting called up and Merkin saying Johnson is the future at 2B are forgetting the Sox saw Semien as a 3B.

Sanchez is not the answer. If he can't make contact against AAA trash, his destiny is determined, not to mention he is not a good defensive player.

I changed two things.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 03:40 AM)

Davidson is not the answer. If he can't make contact against AAA trash, his destiny is determined, not to mention he is not a good defensive player.

He put up good numbers in Reno, but he basically had a team average OPS.

Said it earlier, but between Davidson and Erik Johnson (the Sox two top prospects coming into the year), they performed so horribly this year in AAA that I don't believe they will become big league caliber starters in the future. They have been passed by numerous prospects in the system.