8/21 Games

GGajewski18

Really, the only crime Conor Gillaspie has committed this season is leaving Moises Sierra hanging dry, and forgetting to smile when Santa stop by to give him his Christmas present.

The perfect platoon partner for Gillaspie is Semien, who has been one of the best hitters against lefties in our system throughout his career. Meanwhile, Gillaspie is hitting a cool .337 against righties. If we head into next season with Sanchez at 2B, Ramirez at SS, platoon of Gillaspie and Semien at 3B, with Semien spelling Sanchez and Ramirez, we'd be in a good shape for our infield positions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
Really, the only crime Conor Gillaspie has committed this season is leaving Moises Sierra hanging dry, and forgetting to smile when Santa stop by to give him his Christmas present.

The perfect platoon partner for Gillaspie is Semien, who has been one of the best hitters against lefties in our system throughout his career. Meanwhile, Gillaspie is hitting a cool .337 against righties. If we head into next season with Sanchez at 2B, Ramirez at SS, platoon of Gillaspie and Semien at 3B, with Semien spelling Sanchez and Ramirez, we'd be in a good shape for our infield positions.

I have an obvious bias, but I think Semien deserves more playing time than that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I have an obvious bias, but I think Semien deserves more playing time than that.

If Sanchez plays well in the next month, he gets the starting 2B job, if not then the job is up for grabs between him and Semien, and even Micah heading into next year.

And if Sanchez hits a bump next year or Gillaspie comes back down to earth, I think Semien is next in line to take over. With his position flexibility, he can easily get 300-400 PA's next year.

The point is I'd prefer a platoon of Gillapsie and Semien to maximize the production out of the 3B position.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
If Sanchez plays well in the next month, he gets the starting 2B job, if not then the job is up for grabs between him and Semien, and even Micah heading into next year.

And if Sanchez hits a bump next year or Gillaspie comes back down to earth, I think Semien is next in line to take over. With his position flexibility, he can easily get 300-400 PA's next year.

The point is I'd prefer a platoon of Gillapsie and Semien to maximize the production out of the 3B position.

I understand what you're saying. I just think that a lineup with Semien in it full time maximizes maximizes the production of the team. I've had many discussions on the board about that so I don't want to delve into it any further, just that I hope they have some kind of big role in line for Semien. Frankly, if he can learn to play a competent OF and he's OK with moving around the field, you could play him damn near every day between DH, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, and RF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
I understand what you're saying. I just think that a lineup with Semien in it full time maximizes maximizes the production of the team. I've had many discussions on the board about that so I don't want to delve into it any further, just that I hope they have some kind of big role in line for Semien. Frankly, if he can learn to play a competent OF and he's OK with moving around the field, you could play him damn near every day between DH, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, and RF.

In order to evolve into that type of Chone Figgins/Zobrist role, he's going to have to hit, and probably put up a 750ish OPS to make up for some of the lost defense that will result from moving him all over the place constantly.

If he could learn how to swipe 20-30 bags, that would bring a lot of additional value as well.