People gotta quit sleeping on Marcus Semien

ron883

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
We are not trading alexei ramirez.

Thanks for your input Kenny Williams/Rick Hahn

I'd say if anything if Semien shows he can play a solid SS over the next couple weeks and in September, the odds of Alexei getting traded do nothing but increase. And this offseason is probably the time to sell high on Ramirez as you will likely never get as much for him as you can this offseason.

Edited by The Wiz

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 08:06 PM)

I'd say if anything if Semien shows he can play a solid SS over the next couple weeks and in September, the odds of Alexei getting traded do nothing but increase. And this offseason is probably the time to sell high on Ramirez as you will likely never get as much for him as you can this offseason.

They seemed really intent on not giving Semien time at SS earlier this season but he's gotten a decent amount of time there since Saladino got hurt. I'm not sure what that means for him.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)

Agreed and then take into account Alexei's age and it becomes even more possible. I think the only way Alexei stays with the Sox is if Hahn improves the team through FA and trades this winter to make the team a legit contender in 2015, at least on paper anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 01:13 AM)
They seemed really intent on not giving Semien time at SS earlier this season but he's gotten a decent amount of time there since Saladino got hurt. I'm not sure what that means for him.

It seems like they want him to become a super utility guy. I don't think it's the worst idea, as Gillaspie can't hit LHP and Johnson (assuming he'll be the 2nd baseman of the future) struggles against them as well.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)

Alexei ramirez will be playing SS in September not semien.

As for now Anderson's bat is ahead of his glove. Hard to project Anderson as Alexei's replacement when Anderson has 31 errors thru 66 games this year. Not that he cannot improve ( I'm sure he will) but right now he's looking more like the 2000 Jose Valentin. :P

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
Tim Anderson has too many errors i dont think he is.

He's too young and too far away from the majors to use the errors he's making now as a reason why he won't be our SS in the future. His bat is too good to ignore; we can only hope he continues to improve his glove as he moves through the minors. I've heard good things about Anderson's athleticism defensively so it appears the potential for improvement is there.

Micah's no gold glover either, but that doesn't stop people from pegging him as the future 2B.

I said it before, but we need to find a way to fuse Anderson and Rondon into one player. Seriously, get on this science.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 09:38 PM)
He's too young and too far away from the majors to use the errors he's making now as a reason why he won't be our SS in the future. His bat is too good to ignore; we can only hope he continues to improve his glove as he moves through the minors. I've heard good things about Anderson's athleticism defensively so it appears the potential for improvement is there.

Micah's no gold glover either, but that doesn't stop people from pegging him as the future 2B.

I said it before, but we need to find a way to fuse Anderson and Rondon into one player. Seriously, get on this science.

This talk of defense is scaring me. If Micah is no good at second and Anderson no good at short ... wow. You must have good defense up the middle to win squat in MLB.

I know it's been brought up many a times, but Derek Jeter had 56 errors in 128 games one season and now he's a 5 time gold glove winner.

Also most of us haven't seen them(Anderson and Johnson) play with our own eyes so we don't really know the extent of the errors......Lexi has been in the bottom half of short stops as far as errors go many a years and yet that doesn't really tell the whole story. We see with our eyes that overall Lexi is a damn fine SS. Lexi's ample range gets him to a lot of balls other SSs don't get to and sometimes that is what gets him his errors by "creating harder plays". On the flip side a guy like Jhonny Peralta, who has virtually no range, had just 21 errors in 446 games, 1 less than Lexi had last season alone.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 01:28 AM)
And it should never be brought up again, but because it only proves the point, considering Derek Jeter is/was a garbage defender.

Weak arm + limited range = DJ. Are you giving the intro speech for him at the HOF in 2020?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
This has nothing to do with his future as a shortstop. He's 21 and has all kinds of time to improve his hands.

And he isn't the only one.

Chipper Jones made 56 errors his first year in the minors.

Elvis Andrus made 32, 31, and 32 errors over his last three years in the minors.

Edgar Renteria made 40 errors in 169 minor league games.

Erick Aybar made 119 errors in 475 minor league games.

Troy Tulowitzki made 30 errors in 121 minor league games.

Omar Vizquel made 25 errors two years in a row while in the minors.

Ozzie Smith made 25 errors as a rookie in MLB, and 23 his one year in the minors.

you people simply have to stop sleeping with Marcus Semien

No, look how great he's doing. Don't change anything now. Tiger Woods' performance went in the tank when he stopped sleeping around. We can't risk having the same thing happen with Marcus.

QUOTE (Timmy U @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 06:17 AM)
I like Semien, but he's not the Sox future at short in the eyes of the organization. I think Tim Anderson is the guy slated to replace Alexei.

For some reason, I feel this is how things will work out:

- Micah Johnson will start at 2nd for them next year

- Sanchez will be utility player

- Davidson will platoon with Gillaspie

- Semien will be used as trade bait

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
For some reason, I feel this is how things will work out:

- Micah Johnson will start at 2nd for them next year

- Sanchez will be utility player

- Davidson will platoon with Gillaspie

- Semien will be used as trade bait

I wouldn't be surprised to see over the course of the next two years:

Gillaspie moves to LF

Semien becomes the 3B

M. Johnson becomes the 2B

Sanchez becomes the UTIL INF

Davidson continues to struggle. If Davidson could hit lefties (he's actually hits them worse than righties the last two years), I could see a platoon of him and Wilkins at DH, allowing the Sox to have more roster flexibility as Wilkins can play 1B and Davidson 3B to give Abreu/Semien a rest.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
No, look how great he's doing. Don't change anything now. Tiger Woods' performance went in the tank when he stopped sleeping around. We can't risk having the same thing happen with Marcus.

Good point.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see over the course of the next two years:

Gillaspie moves to LF

Semien becomes the 3B

M. Johnson becomes the 2B

Sanchez becomes the UTIL INF

Davidson continues to struggle. If Davidson could hit lefties (he's actually hits them worse than righties the last two years), I could see a platoon of him and Wilkins at DH, allowing the Sox to have more roster flexibility as Wilkins can play 1B and Davidson 3B to give Abreu/Semien a rest.

The sheer number of moves there makes me think it won't happen. A single one of those breaks down and the whole setup breaks down. Let's start with next year first.

I have thought the Wilkins/Davidson combo you outline makes some sense, but you can't give Davidson a big league role after last season and the Sox have shown no evidence that they're going to give Wilkins a shot no matter what he does.