White Sox at Yankees

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)
Yeah because that Yankee roster so much better.

Yeah our roster isn't all that special however there is 3 years to me is a pattern.

Hope I'm wrong and all the "people with perspective" who don't blame RV are so correct as there level of smug.

I'd gladly eat crow.

They have a team ERA over 6.00 in the 8th inning and about 5.00 in the 9th. Eaton, Abreu, Gillaspie, Garcia, Sale all have spent time on the DL. Paulino and Johnson were total busts. I don't know how that all is Robin's fault. What should their record be?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)
Yeah because that Yankee roster so much better.

Yeah our roster isn't all that special however there is 3 years to me is a pattern.

Hope I'm wrong and all the "people with perspective" who don't blame RV are so correct as there level of smug.

I'd gladly eat crow.

I'd agree when it comes to the pen.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
Can't blame Robin for this one but who cares the Sox are tanking fantastically towards a top 8 pick. Only thing that matters rest of the way is the production of the youth and the cornerstones like Jose and Sale and Q. Forget wins and losses the next 30 odd games and enjoy watching some of the new faces.

Tanking is never good. And whether or not Robin and his insistence on walking batters and his bullpen choices are to blame, is there not some measure of responsibility the manager bears for another lousy season?

Actually they ought to back off Q and Sale.

And with all of the interesting hitters in Charlotte, why in the world is a limited hitter like Danks getting the ABs. It could be L Garcia, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:49 PM)
DA when is RV accountable? Had a first place team and it ran into the ground, year 2 and 3 not very good efforts and in crunch time team blows in August and September his WHOLE tenure.

It was a first place team because only because it was run into the ground. Youk fell apart, Dunn kept striking out, Paulie had wrist surgery and Liriano was a bust. Didn't they have a ridiculous number of rookie bullpen debuts that year?

And last years team and this years team are short and not playing at full strength either. So far, none of Robins seasons has there been preseason expectations of success. Look at Joe Maddon's record before he had talent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
They have a team ERA over 6.00 in the 8th inning and about 5.00 in the 9th. Eaton, Abreu, Gillaspie, Garcia, Sale all have spent time on the DL. Paulino and Johnson were total busts. I don't know how that all is Robin's fault. What should their record be?

All is a strong word - I wouldn't say its all his fault. The bullpen is total trash no doubt.

I loved Robin Ventura when he played here and I think he has a great sense of humor personality ect.

I just don't think at this point he has (he had zero managing experience) he can handle this job day to day. Some day he might but he just isn't there yet.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:49 PM)
DA when is RV accountable? Had a first place team and it ran into the ground, year 2 and 3 not very good efforts and in crunch time team blows in August and September his WHOLE tenure. Not a recipe of ever playing playoff baseball.

We've seen that from more than one manager. I still believe in this wacked out theory there is some mental weakness in the organization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:55 PM)
It was a first place team because only because it was run into the ground. Youk fell apart, Dunn kept striking out, Paulie had wrist surgery and Liriano was a bust. Didn't they have a ridiculous number of rookie bullpen debuts that year?

And last years team and this years team are short and not playing at full strength either. So far, none of Robins seasons has there been preseason expectations of success. Look at Joe Maddon's record before he had talent.

So he gets a pass forever?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 03:46 AM)
Can't blame Robin for this one but who cares the Sox are tanking fantastically towards a top 8 pick. Only thing that matters rest of the way is the production of the youth and the cornerstones like Jose and Sale and Q. Forget wins and losses the next 30 odd games and enjoy watching some of the new faces.

Boston is doing their best to tank as well. White Sox just can't make up ground on them right now.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
Tanking is never good. And whether or not Robin and his insistence on walking batters and his bullpen choices are to blame, is there not some measure of responsibility the manager bears for another lousy season?

Actually they ought to back off Q and Sale.

And with all of the interesting hitters in Charlotte, why in the world is a limited hitter like Danks getting the ABs. It could be L Garcia, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Trust me I've ripped Robin time and time again here. I'm just done beating that dead horse I'm not going to convince anyone that still defends him (laughably imo) at this point. His tactics are some of the worst I've seen in 20 years watching the Sox. He reminds me a lot of Jerry Manuel. A "players' coach" that costs a team 2-3 wins a year with awful tactics.

It's ok though, if the team is bad next year Robin will be the fall guy. If the team is good then his errors become more visible and he'll come under more scrutiny in a pennant race.

I don't like him but at this point I can only shrug and hope the roster improves, that's more important in the long run anyways.

And yes, tanking is often good, see Carlos Rodon.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
I can't blame this on Robin now. Torre wouldn't help this team. We suck.

We don't suck- with a decent bull pen we are in some kind of hunt.

We aren't great though either (we def suck at times)

If Robin was more solid I'm not saying we would be in the playoffs our bullpen is too bad.

I'm simply saying he isn't manager material.

I think even with this horrible bullpen some better game management we could be 500.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
So he gets a pass forever?

He gets a pass until he gets a team that should win. I mentioned it before, according to Soxtalk, the LF sucks, the CF is good but is always hurt, the RF sucks, the 3B might be OK, the SS needs to be traded, the 2B is awful, the 1B is awesome, the C sucks, the DHs and bench need to go away. The bullpen is awful, and at least 40% of the rotation is garbage.

Only green sox could manage this team to 130 wins.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
He gets a pass until he gets a team that should win. I mentioned it before, according to Soxtalk, the LF sucks, the CF is good but is always hurt, the RF sucks, the 3B might be OK, the SS needs to be traded, the 2B is awful, the 1B is awesome, the C sucks, the DHs and bench need to go away. The bullpen is awful, and at least 40% of the rotation is garbage.

I have no faith he can lead a good team to the playoffs. I guess we shall see.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 04:03 AM)

It's amazing how nearly every pitcher has underachieved this year, yet Cooper receives very little criticism on here. People probably just love his radio interviews.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
It's amazing how nearly every pitcher has underachieved this year, yet Cooper receives very little criticism on here. People probably just love his radio interviews.

Sale, Quintana, Noesi, Carroll, Putnam, Petricka.

If you can find a way to blame Johnson on him then I'll go along with that, that remains by far the biggest implosion on the staff this year, but several pitchers have gotten better or out-performed expectations.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)

So who do you replace him with? That is the big question. We will see another function weakened by Reinsdorf's loyalty policies.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
So who do you replace him with? That is the big question. We will see another function weakened by Reinsdorf's loyalty policies.

I don't think he needs to be replaced, but when s***ty hitters didn't hit, it used to be blamed on the hitting coach. Why when s***ty pitchers get lit up, isn't it on Cooper?

I guess that would take away the blame on Robin.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 03:16 AM)
I don't think he needs to be replaced, but when s***ty hitters didn't hit, it used to be blamed on the hitting coach. Why when s***ty pitchers get lit up, isn't it on Cooper?

He also never seemed committed to the idea of Hector Santiago being a starter, and he would easily be the 3rd best starter on this team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
He also never seemed committed to the idea of Hector Santiago being a starter, and he would easily be the 3rd best starter on this team.

He's facing the A's tonight. I've been watching this on MLB. BTW Beckham is not in the lineup.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)

He still does a lot with a little. We spend about the fewest on a rotation in the game. Not much on the pen either. Noesi was the worst pitcher in mlb before we picked him up. Carroll has no business in mlb. He sucks but better than you can expect. Q continues to exceed expectations. Sale is top 3 pitcher in the AL. Danks he has failed with this year but it's probably hard for him to coach up a veteran. I'll give him a pass there.

The bullpen he pulled two rabbits out of his ass with Petrika and especially Putnam. These join the long list classic Cooper examples. Of course he's completely failed Daniel Webb. The veterans too, but that's tough.

Obviously I agree with you on Santiago. The Sox failed him.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood