At what point is this season not considered a success?

caulfield12

Is this season in danger of becoming unsuccessful?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your poison/s

• No matter what, Hahn has made huge strides forward
    • Finishing on a sour note takes some of the positivity away
    • Eaton/Abreu/Gillaspie/A.Garcia all made strides, and Sale/Quintana are healthy and contributing
    • I am disappointed and hold Rick Hahn responsible for the bullpen debacles
    • I am disappointed and hold Robin Ventura responsible for the bullpen debacles
    • A top 4-8 pick is much better than 12-15, and we can sign free agents without losing a 1st rounder
    • Hahn deserves great credit for Abreu, and that outweighs anything else with the Matt Davidson/Addison Reed move, Keppinger, Paulino, Downs, Belisario, Danks, Dunn, DeAza, Beckham, Viciedo, etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I blamed Hahn for the bullpen debacle. It ruined any chance of the team hitting .500. He brought in Abreu and Eaton, which is great, but the defense remains horrible and the pitching is quite sub par. Frankly, he has a lot of work to do to avoid the cellar again next year. Season ticket sales should be lowest in the modern era. All they have to sell, really, is Abreu, Sale and perhaps Eaton right now, barring an overhaul. Avi Garcia is close to being a major plus as well.

I went with the 1st one. All I'm asking for is a 5 game improvement. Way I see it is even with an average pen we're looking at at least a 10 game improvement overall this year.....A "10 game improvement" with a whole lot of money to spend leads me to believe they're heading in the right direction.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 04:55 AM)
I blamed Hahn for the bullpen debacle. It ruined any chance of the team hitting .500. He brought in Abreu and Eaton, which is great, but the defense remains horrible and the pitching is quite sub par. Frankly, he has a lot of work to do to avoid the cellar again next year. Season ticket sales should be lowest in the modern era. All they have to sell, really, is Abreu, Sale and perhaps Eaton right now, barring an overhaul. Avi Garcia is close to being a major plus as well.

I agree to a certain extend. Hahn should have never have all his egg in 1 basket to start the

season. esp with Paulino and Veal. while other teams pick serviceable pitchers in the offseason.

however with his shortsightedness, he did turn this team farm systems around and has made

many good deals. I am for a nice turn around and predict playoff next yr.

Stone was singing the praises of Cleveland's totally rebuilt bullpen, and the other day said if the Sox had KC's bullpen, they would be in first place. Even with all the other issues, fixing the bullpen has to be the priority. It effects the game and overall record a lot more than the other holes. Fill the other holes if you can, but make sure that the bullpen is addressed.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 01:04 AM)
I went with the 1st one. All I'm asking for is a 5 game improvement. Way I see it is even with an average pen we're looking at at least a 10 game improvement overall this year.....A "10 game improvement" with a whole lot of money to spend leads me to believe they're heading in the right direction.

I don't agree. They were terrible last season so they really should have improved this season. Add to that the fact that last season they unloaded some veteran pitching at the trade deadline that they didn't do this season. I think you have to look at positional development over wins/losses. The total failure of the bullpen makes this season look worse record-wise than what it is. I feel they took a step up especially with Abreu but there are still a bunch of holes.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 04:33 AM)
I agree to a certain extend. Hahn should have never have all his egg in 1 basket to start the

season. esp with Paulino and Veal. while other teams pick serviceable pitchers in the offseason.

however with his shortsightedness, he did turn this team farm systems around and has made

many good deals. I am for a nice turn around and predict playoff next yr.

And yet, when some of those guys blew up, we had spaces opened for Noesi and Putnam to actually have successful enough seasons that they can reasonably be looked at as cheap roster options for next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 07:26 AM)
Stone was singing the praises of Cleveland's totally rebuilt bullpen, and the other day said if the Sox had KC's bullpen, they would be in first place. Even with all the other issues, fixing the bullpen has to be the priority. It effects the game and overall record a lot more than the other holes. Fill the other holes if you can, but make sure that the bullpen is addressed.

Sounds like Stone is spending too much time with Hawk

I look at the season this way: when the Sox signed Paulie for one more year, that was a clear sign to me that the Sox had no belief that they could contend this year. They knew they had a good core in Sale, Quintana, Abreu, Garcia and Eaton. The rest of the roster was essentially tryouts to see who gets to stick around for 2015 and who gets further attention. Gillaspie and Ramirez earned the right to stay. Noesi and Flowers aren't ideal but may have done enough to earn another year. De Aza, Viciedo, and pretty much then entire bullpen have failed and will need to be replaced, and of course Beckham is already gone.

This is a successful season because the Sox have figured out for sure who needs to stay and who needs to go. There are very few question marks left.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
I look at the season this way: when the Sox signed Paulie for one more year, that was a clear sign to me that the Sox had no belief that they could contend this year. They knew they had a good core in Sale, Quintana, Abreu, Garcia and Eaton. The rest of the roster was essentially tryouts to see who gets to stick around for 2015 and who gets further attention. Gillaspie and Ramirez earned the right to stay. Noesi and Flowers aren't ideal but may have done enough to earn another year. De Aza, Viciedo, and pretty much then entire bullpen have failed and will need to be replaced, and of course Beckham is already gone.

This is a successful season because the Sox have figured out for sure who needs to stay and who needs to go. There are very few question marks left.

I don't see where knowing who needs to go makes a season successful. People get fired because they aren't successful. Other than the obvious, Sale, Q, Rodon, Abreu, who with his contract, they had to know was going to be around for a while, and Alexei, Eaton, there still, IMO, are questions everywhere. Garcia looks like a keeper, but it has pretty much been a lost season for him. No one knows how the Sox minor leaguers will be as major leaguers. If your job was on the line, would you commit to Hector Noesi and Zach Putnam going forward? Even Gillaspie. He's had a nice year. Has definitely earned his position, but moving forward, is anyone really sure what he is? There has been a lot of brilliance, but also some things that make you think if he hits .240 next year with little power and a mediocre glove, it wouldn't be surprising. I guess what I am getting at is IMO the only Sox player who has gotten over the hump that they really didn't know what they reasonably could expect from him moving forward in a postive way, besides Abreu, is Eaton.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
I don't see where knowing who needs to go makes a season successful. People get fired because they aren't successful. Other than the obvious, Sale, Q, Rodon, Abreu, who with his contract, they had to know was going to be around for a while, and Alexei, Eaton, there still, IMO, are questions everywhere. Garcia looks like a keeper, but it has pretty much been a lost season for him. No one knows how the Sox minor leaguers will be as major leaguers. If your job was on the line, would you commit to Hector Noesi and Zach Putnam going forward? Even Gillaspie. He's had a nice year. Has definitely earned his position, but moving forward, is anyone really sure what he is? There has been a lot of brilliance, but also some things that make you think if he hit's .240 next year with little power and a mediocre glove, it wouldn't be surprising. I guess what I am getting at is IMO the only Sox player who has gotten over the hump that they really didn't know what they reasonably could expect from him moving forward, besides Abreu, is Eaton.

And they now know they shouldn't expect him to play more than 100 games a season from here on out?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
I don't see where knowing who needs to go makes a season successful. People get fired because they aren't successful. Other than the obvious, Sale, Q, Rodon, Abreu, who with his contract, they had to know was going to be around for a while, and Alexei, Eaton, there still, IMO, are questions everywhere. Garcia looks like a keeper, but it has pretty much been a lost season for him. No one knows how the Sox minor leaguers will be as major leaguers. If your job was on the line, would you commit to Hector Noesi and Zach Putnam going forward? Even Gillaspie. He's had a nice year. Has definitely earned his position, but moving forward, is anyone really sure what he is? There has been a lot of brilliance, but also some things that make you think if he hit's .240 next year with little power and a mediocre glove, it wouldn't be surprising. I guess what I am getting at is IMO the only Sox player who has gotten over the hump that they really didn't know what they reasonably could expect from him moving forward, besides Abreu, is Eaton.

I think part of it is that the FO knew this was a "retooling" year. They won't say re-building. So if they figured out where the greatest needs were that is the step to truly building next year.

Not only is this poll a loaded question, it fails to address how the Sox didn't add an impact prospect such as Yasiel Puig, Javier Baez, Jorge Soler, or Arismendy Alcantara. All of our young hitters (Abreu isn't young at 27) are in the minors still.

The Sox needed a Michael Morse type to appear as well, the not great but still solid contributor who was forced out of an organization. I guess you could say Gillaspie is, but he doesn't hit for nearly enough power from third base.

He’s enjoying a monster July, hitting .338 with 4 HR, 10 RBI and 14 R. Of course he’s benefited from a .368 BABIP and a 16.0% HR/FB.

The average is inflated, as it is overall, with a .367 BABIP. It’s not a huge surprise that he’s been a factor in the average department though he was just a .286 hitter in the minor leagues.

It’s the recent power surge that’s a bit of a surprise. He hadn’t hit a home run entering the month, though he should at least contribute a few. He hit 13 last season courtesy of a 9.2% HR/FB. Considering his 4.5% mark this season, it’s safe to assume a little more power moving forward.

Is it enough? Depending on your format it could be, as it’s realistic to hit for a solid average with 6-10 HR the rest of the way. Consider him in the deepest of formats.

http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=23726

Yes, the Sox signed Abreu and got Rodon, but they don't have that exciting, snatch all the ESPN highlights type player yet.

For some time, we have known that Yasiel Puig, lovable baseball sensation, has a last name only one letter removed from "pug," the derpy-faced dog breed.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/8/24/6...amed-yasiel-pug

Can you see Eaton making a headline like that? Nah, because there is no such thing as an Eatonorgi, Eatug, Eathiba.

Ultimately, this season was a failure due to the above.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Considering he has appeared in 95 on August 26th, I find your comment ridiculous.

A bit of thought and you'd get the point.

How can you possibly say the White Sox know what they have in Adam Eaton going forward? If you go based on this season you'd have no confidence in his ability to stay healthy and be a major lineup contributor on a contending team. You'd need to expect to have a 2nd starting CF on your roster to handle ~50 games a year.

If you based it solely off this season you'd say Adam Eaton can't be a regular contributor on a contending team because he gets hurt too often. Do you have reason to think that will change in the future?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
The average is inflated, as it is overall, with a .367 BABIP. It’s not a huge surprise that he’s been a factor in the average department though he was just a .286 hitter in the minor leagues.

One thing pointed out several times with Conor is that his line drive rate this season has been exceptionally high and that's the kind of hitter that profiles as maintaining a high BABIP. If he's able to sustain that type of line drive rate then the other numbers could be sustainable as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
I think part of it is that the FO knew this was a "retooling" year. They won't say re-building. So if they figured out where the greatest needs were that is the step to truly building next year.

But still, it makes no sense. How is it considered successful if you find out Viciedo isn't the player you had hoped him to be moving forward? Successful to me would be if they knew they could count on him moving forward, or at least found someone else they could count on. It isn't as if they have a surefire replacement ready.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 07:25 AM)
Even Gillaspie. He's had a nice year. Has definitely earned his position, but moving forward, is anyone really sure what he is?

2hokaxw.jpg

Let's keep Conar Gillaspie, please. Even if his salary is due for a bump (not sure if it is), it couldn't possibly be significant for the FO to decide against even if he were to fall flat on his face.

Edit: Arb Eligible '16

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)

Great post. Questions being answered doesn't always mean all good things. They now know for sure that Beckham, De Aza, and Viciedo are not a part of the core, and can move on.

Flowers seems to have at least answered for being a started if nothing better comes along. Noesi showed he can be a fifth starter.

Now we move on to the off-season knowing what we have to a much clearer extent, and what we need to get.

One of the writers I follow on twitter tweeted that last night's game was just the 9th all season that Abreu, Garcia, and Eaton started together. Eaton seems like a player whose going to miss time off and on, but its hard to truly gauge "success" when that happens to your newly acquired core. Bullpen aside, things are moving in the right direction, so by that (meager) standard, its still a relative success.

This was an irrelevant season as far as wins and losses. Basically, from the time they traded Peavy last year, the rebuild was on and it was going to take at least 18 months.

I'm not going to define this season as a success or a failure...it's just games on other team's schedules. But they have a plan, and they know what they have in Abreu and Eaton. They have Chris Sale. They have Rodon coming. The expectations must be higher in 2015.