At what point is this season not considered a success?

caulfield12

Is this season in danger of becoming unsuccessful?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your poison/s

• No matter what, Hahn has made huge strides forward
    • Finishing on a sour note takes some of the positivity away
    • Eaton/Abreu/Gillaspie/A.Garcia all made strides, and Sale/Quintana are healthy and contributing
    • I am disappointed and hold Rick Hahn responsible for the bullpen debacles
    • I am disappointed and hold Robin Ventura responsible for the bullpen debacles
    • A top 4-8 pick is much better than 12-15, and we can sign free agents without losing a 1st rounder
    • Hahn deserves great credit for Abreu, and that outweighs anything else with the Matt Davidson/Addison Reed move, Keppinger, Paulino, Downs, Belisario, Danks, Dunn, DeAza, Beckham, Viciedo, etc.

I am disappointed that they couldn't at least get to .500 this season.

Hahn fault: The bullpen was unproven and weak after 2013 and not much was done to improve it in the offseason.

However, the guys that they acquired should have at least been somewhat better than they were. It's was a combination of rolling the dice on the scrap heap and hoping for too much Cooper magic instead of actually acquiring talent.

Robin fault: Belisario should never have closed a game and he needs to stop with the lefty/righty batting Ozzie obsession.

Positives: I am pleased with Noesi and I think that Petricka will be better; Abreu and Gillaspie were big positives, and the prospects are right on the edge of the majors to start the rebuild.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 01:15 AM)
The White Sox are in 4th place in the AL West, at 60-72, 14 games back of the Kansas City Royals, with the 5th worst record in the American League, and 8th worst record in all of baseball.

They have NO reliable bullpen pitchers going forward. Zach Putnam has had a nice run, but he's managed only 45 innings, and went on the DL seemingly from overuse. There isn't a single additional bullpen piece that can be counted on.

As for starters, we have the incomparable Chris Sale locked up for years. Jose Quintana seems like a quality starter, but he ends up with far too many no decisions and losses to know for sure. He doesn't seem like a #2 guy, more like a decent #3 guy or very good #4 guy. John Danks has had a year better than most would expect, but he's still overpaid and therefore not easily moved. and not part of the solution. Hector Noesi and his zero WAR? If it weren't for our total lack of right handed starters, we'd more easily see him as what he is - a fill in starter on a weak team.

The Sox may have added pieces this offseason in Abreu, Eaton, and Garcia (late 2013), and tied up their best pitchers with favorable contracts, but I don't think you can say this is a successful season by any means.

Making the playoffs has to be the definition of a successful season. Competing for a World Championship has to be the measure of a successful season. Anything short of that and you haven't been successful. Period.

huh?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
I think any season the White Sox play before Chris Sale clutches his elbow or shoulder, where they are playing out the string with over a month to go, is not a successful season.

There's a really good Passan article about the Yu Darvish "tenderness" issue and why they're being so careful with him when there's nothing to play for going down the stretch except holding the #1 overall draft pick...and about examples like Daniel Hudson, where pitchers were rushed back too quickly from TJ.