Abreu-Triple Crown

jasonxctf

Just to let you know how unlikely it is...

Let's assume Abreu has 100 more AB the rest of the season. He would have to hit .400 the rest of the way to bring his average up to .329, which would still not give him the batting title.

Basically you need Abreu to hit nearly .400 from here on out, and Altuve to slow down, while also not seeing V-Mart, Cano, or Beltre finish strong.

I think he's got a real good shot to lead the majors in HR and RBI, assuming he starts hitting dingers at a regular pace again, and as long as he finishes above .300, I'll be extremely happy.

Sidenote: Remember when people were worried about Abreu in the HR derby, thinking it would mess up his HR stroke? He's hit, what, like 4 HR since the All-Star break?

Second sidenote: Abreu is 6 HR shy of setting the all-time non-roided-out rookie record for HR. He's 49 RBI short though of Ted Williams rookie record of 149 though. And no one may EVER surpass Trout's rookie record for WAR at 10.1. Abreu isn't even at HALF of that yet.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
Yeah, as others have noted, it's awfully late in the season to be making up 20 points in average.

While it's certainly a long shot at this point. With Altuve, Martinez, Beltre and Cano at .332/.327/.326/.325 respectively, it's not unrealistic to think that the lead might drop to be around the .325 mark at the end of the year. It would just take a couple of hitless games for Altuve to fall there. If Abreu gets 100 ABs the rest of the season, he would need to hit .390 to end at .326. Seems tough to do, but he has been hitting .361 since the break and .429 over the last two weeks so it's not unrealistic at all.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
Its a long shot. I'm not sayin, but I'm sayin...

AVG= #5 at .312. Leader is .331

HR= #2 at 33. Leader is at 34.

RBI= #1 at 96. 2 ahead of #2 at 94.

Sure looks like a MVP candidate

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
Also gotta factor in Martinez, Cano, and Beltre when talking about the batting title.

Altuve- .332

VMart- .330

Cano- .327

Beltre- .327

Abreu- .318

So ya gotta hope all 4 of those guys go into a bit of a slump.

Another base hit. He's at .320 now. You don't necessarily have to hope for them to slump, but rather for Abreu to continue his pace. Wasn't he at .305 4-5 days ago?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Another base hit. He's at .320 now. You don't necessarily have to hope for them to slump, but rather for Abreu to continue his pace. Wasn't he at .305 4-5 days ago?

Ya, I edited out that last line right as you were typing. Gonna be fun to keep an eye on the last month.

I'm as huge a fan of Abreu as anyone and I'm glad as hell we got him, but just remember that Cespedes was a near-MVP-caliber player his rookie season, and he's taken a nosedive as the league adjusted. I think Abreu's better, but I've also been a White Sox fan for too long and I'm prepared to be disappointed :P

THAT SAID - loving this ride.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
I predict 4-4 with 2 jacks tonight. Because I can.

I like it, I'll say 5-6 with 2HR and the cycle tonight as well as an IBB as the bullpen s***s the bed over a nice Bassit debut that goes to extras.

I'm as huge a fan of Abreu as anyone and I'm glad as hell we got him, but just remember that Cespedes was a near-MVP-caliber player his rookie season, and he's taken a nosedive as the league adjusted. I think Abreu's better, but I've also been a White Sox fan for too long and I'm prepared to be disappointed :P

THAT SAID - loving this ride.

I actually have some of the same apprehensions, but Abreu is much better this year than any season of Cespedes'.