Abreu-Triple Crown

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
I'm as huge a fan of Abreu as anyone and I'm glad as hell we got him, but just remember that Cespedes was a near-MVP-caliber player his rookie season, and he's taken a nosedive as the league adjusted. I think Abreu's better, but I've also been a White Sox fan for too long and I'm prepared to be disappointed :P

THAT SAID - loving this ride.

He is much more hitter-ish than any of the Cubans I have seen so far. He reminds me so much of young Frank Thomas, it isn't even funny.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
I'm still worried about his power outage. His average keeps increasing by the day, but now Cruz, Stanton (NL), and even Carter have surpassed him in home runs. The triple crown idea seems even less possible now, even though it was very unlikely to begin with.

Altuve has been red hot too, back-to-back 4 for 5 games have his average up to .340.

I'm still worried about his power outage. His average keeps increasing by the day, but now Cruz, Stanton (NL), and even Carter have surpassed him in home runs. The triple crown idea seems even less possible now, even though it was very unlikely to begin with.

The last thing I am going to worry about is how many home runs go into making up a player's .983 OPS.

Abeu leads the AL in SLG, OPS, OPS+, and I wouldn't trade any of those to have him lead the league in HR.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
The last thing I am going to worry about is how many home runs go into making up a player's .983 OPS.

Abeu leads the AL in SLG, OPS, OPS+, and I wouldn't trade any of those to have him lead the league in HR.

No kidding. So he's turned from Mark McGwire into Frank Thomas -- no problems here!

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
You mean where he was striking out once a game earlier in the year?

Pitchers are trying to bury him down and away, and he's just poking them to RF. Earlier in the year they were trying to bust him in, and he was turning on them for HR. I am just guessing here, but I would think that has something to do with his power outage as well. I think he took those inside fastballs out of the park, and is now taking those low and outside breaking pitches off the bat in to RF.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
Pitchers are trying to bury him down and away, and he's just poking them to RF. Earlier in the year they were trying to bust him in, and he was turning on them for HR. I am just guessing here, but I would think that has something to do with his power outage as well. I think he took those inside fastballs out of the park, and is now taking those low and outside breaking pitches off the bat in to RF.

But he would also wave at breaking balls low and away. Sometimes it would look so bad, it seemed like he had made up his mind to swing before the pitch was thrown. It's obviously much less a problem now.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
But he would also wave at breaking balls low and away. Sometimes it would look so bad, it seemed like he had made up his mind to swing before the pitch was thrown. It's obviously much less a problem now.

Yeah, I know, I am saying I think his approach has changed to cover the low and away breaking pitches, and because of his change in approach, he is no longer trying to crush every pitch, but just trying to fight those away pitches in to RF. A much better result for the pitchers, too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
I think it's time to instead start focusing on the substantial HR gap.

And Altuve's average seems to be increasing at a similar rate to Abreu's.

On a side note, Josh Harrison and Ben Revere are tied for the NL batting average crown. Wow. What were the odds on those two?