2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)
Did you?

5th: Complete the “heart” of the order; a good power hitter........

Conor Gillaspie doesn't appear to be a good power hitter.

2nd: Guy who can drop a bunt or draw a walk.

Never seen Avi lay down a bunt, but he sure doesn't seem like a guy who will draw a walk that much.

No thanks on Gillaspie to LF. I know it's done for defensive purposes, but I'd rather see Semien in LF and Gillaspie stay at 3B.

With those guys and using that format the lineup should be...

1 Eaton

2 Semien

3 Martinez

4 Abreu

5 Garcia

6 Gillaspie

7 Ramirez

8 Johnson

9 Flowers

Which would be a damn good lineup, esp. if Semien can translate his ability to take a walk to the bigs. Eaton, Semien, and Martinez would be on base a lot in front of Abreu.

It's okay if you didn't, I'm going to quote it for you!

'2nd: Your player with the best ability to drive in runs – weighted situations say that putting your best OPS/SLG batter in this slot will lead to the most total runs for a team over the course of the season.'

'5th-9th: Starting with middle-of-the-pack guys that are comparable to your number three hitter, put the rest of your hitters in descending order of quality, as those lower in the lineup will receive fewer plate appearances over time and therefore hurt the team effort less. Put players with the ability to steal bases in the earlier slots here to maximize run-scoring potential.'

I said my idea for the batting order combines metrics and traditional thought. Garcia would bat am second because he is a patient hitter, although he has been a bit aggressive since his return from injury, and he is one of the best pure hitters on the team and he is also a run producer. The article said: 'Lesson: bat your best overall hitter – perhaps the one with the highest OPS (OBP plus SLG) or SLG – second in order to drive in more runs over the course of a season.' While that guy would be Abreu it would be better for him if he bats third, so you can sandwich him between Garcia and Martinez.

Connor would bat 5th because he has batted 3rd for a good portion of the season, while he dosent steal bases, he dose get on base at a good clip, he's a contact hitter and hits at a high average.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
There is a 0.1% chance Victor Martinez is coming to Chicago. You're more likely to see Konerko playing for the Sox next year than VMart.

They'll test the waters but it makes zero sense for the Sox IMO. They think they may have the offense, the pitching on the other hand.....

Also, I believe they want to keep Alexei for awhile

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 10:51 PM)
It would be hard to take a good hitter like Conor out of an MLB lineup. He has a spot but not in the heart.

Second, the Sox are spending money. They hope to pick up probably one or two proven pen arms, and obviously someone in the rotation. Signing an actual middle of the order hitter will be more difficult. When they want to complete the payroll will be over 100 million IMO

Since they began this year at around $91 million, and they were something like 22nd in the majors in Opening Day payroll, I'd argue that $110-115 million is where they need to be (at least) before the 2016 season.

That's still going to put them somewhere around 17th-23rd in the majors. Not much room for error.

And unless Hawkins is a 5 hitter and Anderson a 2-3, they're going to have to spend a lot of money or talent/resources on acquiring a middle of the order hitter.

Despite his work ethic, I'm still not 100% convinced of Avisail's abilities as a run producer/power bat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:51 PM)
It would be hard to take a good hitter like Conor out of an MLB lineup. He has a spot but not in the heart.

Second, the Sox are spending money. They hope to pick up probably one or two proven pen arms, and obviously someone in the rotation. Signing an actual middle of the order hitter will be more difficult. When they want to complete the payroll will be over 100 million IMO

Not only that, but the way things have changed with locking up younger guys and longer contracts, those guys aren't easy to come by on the FA market anymore.

Well, unless it's an Abreu situation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
They'll test the waters but it makes zero sense for the Sox IMO. They think they may have the offense, the pitching on the other hand.....

Good to know. I am fine with Alexei for another year or two until Anderson is ready.

We obviously have a hole at DH, and as fans we'd like to think we have a chance with the best free agent DH out there. But reality is harsh. We have bigger holes in the bullpen and could use another free agent starter, and perhaps an outfielder. I just don't see a reason for Martinez to leave Detroit, and whoever signs him will be paying for his production this year, which he will have a hard time maintaining for the latter part of the new contract.

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there that I am sure the Sox will look at.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:11 AM)
Since they began this year at around $91 million, and they were something like 22nd in the majors in Opening Day payroll, I'd argue that $110-115 million is where they need to be (at least) before the 2016 season.

That's still going to put them somewhere around 17th-23rd in the majors. Not much room for error.

And unless Hawkins is a 5 hitter and Anderson a 2-3, they're going to have to spend a lot of money or talent/resources on acquiring a middle of the order hitter.

Despite his work ethic, I'm still not 100% convinced of Avisail's abilities as a run producer/power bat.

Avasail is going to be everyday next year, bank on it.

Second, they will spend, but im not convinced its next year. The rotation is an issue however and I dont know if they are going to see if they have it in the system or if they have to trade or buy it. Hahn would obviously like to fill the pen through fringe trades like he has recently as well as a garbage heap pickup but the rotation is going to be difficult to patch.

I'm hearing there is a ton of payroll room, a TON. But Hahn is reluctant to do a KW and spend money horribly with a team that finishes 10 games out of the division.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:22 AM)

Second, they will spend, but im not convinced its next year. The rotation is an issue however and I dont know if they are going to see if they have it in the system or if they have to trade or buy it. Hahn would obviously like to fill the pen through fringe trades like he has recently as well as a garbage heap pickup but the rotation is going to be difficult to patch.

I'm hearing there is a ton of payroll room, a TON. But Hahn is reluctant to do a KW and spend money horribly with a team that finishes 10 games out of the division.

That is LITERALLY the best thing anyone on here could have ever said.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)
Good to know. I am fine with Alexei for another year or two until Anderson is ready.

We obviously have a hole at DH, and as fans we'd like to think we have a chance with the best free agent DH out there. But reality is harsh. We have bigger holes in the bullpen and could use another free agent starter, and perhaps an outfielder. I just don't see a reason for Martinez to leave Detroit, and whoever signs him will be paying for his production this year, which he will have a hard time maintaining for the latter part of the new contract.

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there that I am sure the Sox will look at.

I think Anderon plays second.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)

They LOVE Alexei, and Alexei LOVES the Sox. I think something will be worked out. And frankly, I like that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)

I think the Sox are a year away from contending, but they need another slugger in the lineup especially now with Dunn gone.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:32 AM)
I think the Sox are a year away from contending, but they need another slugger in the lineup especially now with Dunn gone.

If you get ONE more slugger and get some development from 1-2 guys I think we are close on offense.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:48 AM)
I meant the content too. Garcia isn't a patient hitter.

Garcia, while he dose not walk at a high rate and he has been very aggressive at the plate since coming back from injury, he has shown the ability to go deep into counts and work the pitcher. Another reason why he should bat second, is that he does some some speed and he can steal 15 bags a year.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 01:57 AM)
Garcia, while he dose not walk at a high rate and he has been very aggressive at the plate since coming back from injury, he has shown the ability to go deep into counts and work the pitcher.

When? Where?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 01:57 AM)
Another reason why he should bat second, is that he does some some speed and he can steal 15 bags a year.

Sounds like you decided you hope he bats second, and tried to shoehorn in the 'Garcia is patient' part. If it is patience and ability to steal some bases, Sanchez and Semien fit the bill better than Garcia.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 05:09 AM)
It's okay if you didn't, I'm going to quote it for you!

'2nd: Your player with the best ability to drive in runs – weighted situations say that putting your best OPS/SLG batter in this slot will lead to the most total runs for a team over the course of the season.'

'5th-9th: Starting with middle-of-the-pack guys that are comparable to your number three hitter, put the rest of your hitters in descending order of quality, as those lower in the lineup will receive fewer plate appearances over time and therefore hurt the team effort less. Put players with the ability to steal bases in the earlier slots here to maximize run-scoring potential.'

I said my idea for the batting order combines metrics and traditional thought. Garcia would bat am second because he is a patient hitter, although he has been a bit aggressive since his return from injury, and he is one of the best pure hitters on the team and he is also a run producer. The article said: 'Lesson: bat your best overall hitter – perhaps the one with the highest OPS (OBP plus SLG) or SLG – second in order to drive in more runs over the course of a season.' While that guy would be Abreu it would be better for him if he bats third, so you can sandwich him between Garcia and Martinez.

Connor would bat 5th because he has batted 3rd for a good portion of the season, while he dosent steal bases,

he dose get on base at a good clip, he's a contact hitter and hits at a high average.

that is why I always thought of him as a #2 hitter, depending on the pitcher.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
When? Where?

Sounds like you decided you hope he bats second, and tried to shoehorn in the 'Garcia is patient' part. If it is patience and ability to steal some bases, Sanchez and Semien fit the bill better than Garcia.

You do not need to draw walks to be a patient hitter, you can work counts to raise the pitchers's pitch total. During his rookie year last year he did just that and he did it again before he was injured. Again did you read the article, you want a guy who can drive in runs batting second, Garcia dose that better than Semien and Sanchez. Hell, you can bat VMart second, but I would rather have Garcia there because he can be a respectable threat on the base paths behind Eaton.

I added the part about him stealing bases because it was something that I failed to address and I wanted to add it in case anyone had any concerns about the team with that line up being a station to station team, which is something that the team has been moving away from.

I'm starting to think the 2015 2-hole hitter isn't on the team yet unless his name is Gillaspie, and by all measures the Sox just don't believe in that. Alexei Ramirez is too easy to get out any time he's not dialed in, and he's consistently trotted out #2. Flowers, Viciedo, Avi, Sanchez & Semien are all too free of swingers or just too inexperienced to give the second most ABs of the season too. If we add a tough-out kinda guy for #2 i think the rest falls into place nicely and we'll be pretty solid top to middle with potential at the bottom. I would love Sanchez/Semien turning the lineup over but not at 2.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 05:22 AM)

I wonder if the sox will trade for a young of'er who has power? if the sox does not plan on spending

at least for positional players via free agents, will they make a run at Tomas the Cuban player?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 06:19 AM)
I'm starting to think the 2015 2-hole hitter isn't on the team yet unless his name is Gillaspie, and by all measures the Sox just don't believe in that. Alexei Ramirez is too easy to get out any time he's not dialed in, and he's consistently trotted out #2. Flowers, Viciedo, Avi, Sanchez & Semien are all too free of swingers or just too inexperienced to give the second most ABs of the season too. If we add a tough-out kinda guy for #2 i think the rest falls into place nicely and we'll be pretty solid top to middle with potential at the bottom. I would love Sanchez/Semien turning the lineup over but not at 2.

here here...... :drink nice way to sum it up.