2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

Also of the Either/Hamilton/EJax monster I think EJax is the best fit if the money is pretty close. Reason being, if the Sox want to wait until the deadline to deal Danks then we're looking at 4 lefties (very unlikley IMO) or perhaps the Sox screwing with Rodon and putting him in the pen --- and I'm telling you now, do not underestimate their ability to do that. So at least if you swap EJax for Danks then your rotation is Sale-EJax-Quintana-Noesi-Rodon for half a season and you look to shed the rest of EJax's deal around the deadline, and that way you get your L-R balance with Rodon starting in the rotation, and EJax is basically a placeholder for Beck/Danish/Montas or whoever else we may be interested in calling up at some point in July.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
They'd be silly not to take that deal... And I'm on the fence as to if the Sox should do so if the offer was on the table.

If you put a gun to my head and say "take it or leave it" I'd probably take that deal, because I think Castro is the best player in the discussion. Just a s***ty year though. .230/.298/.381/.678 with 14 HR for Castro vs. .245/.302/.398/.701 with 14 HR for Flowers.

And s***, if we could pull Castro for Flowers + Semien or something then it's not even a thought.

Edit: He and Chase Headley have just had absolute dogs*** years completely out of nowhere. What happened there? It's easy to call Headley's 2012 a career year which he won't repeat or even come close to again, but he's just been garbage offensively this year.

I wonder if you traded for Jason Castro, and put Headley at 3rd as a buy-low FA if you might strike a little gold under the wisdom of Master Steverson?

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
Totally out of the blue, but...

Would the Astros take Connor Gillaspie and Tyler Flowers for Jason Castro?

If you think Connor is more a platoon type, and Flowers isn't going to get any better, then anyone think those 2 could get us Castro coming off a bad year? Of course you'd only do it thinking that Castro would turn it around here & could be extended. If this deal had been proposed several months ago it would have been laughable, but I think both Connor & Tyler have raised their status significantly since the offseason while Castro's stock has really fallen.

To start who at 3B then, Semien or Davidson?

Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez or Headley?

Castro's WAR this season is less than a half point higher than Tyler. You can make an argument we're giving away the better player going forward in Tyler, and then weakening the offensively production at 3B in the process.

I simply don't see them shelling out $75-100 for two huge injury risks in Sandoval or Hanley...but, I suppose it would be Sandoval, since the LH vs. RH issue vis a vis Ramirez.

And I think he'd be more willing to accept a 2+option, 3+option deal at this point, coming off a mostly disappointing but now seemingly rebounding season, where his overall stats look fairly in line with his normal production levels.

If it's Chase Headley, yuck!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
To start who at 3B then, Semien or Davidson?

Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez or Headley?

Castro's WAR this season is less than a half point higher than Tyler. You can make an argument we're giving away the better player going forward in Tyler, and then weakening the offensively production at 3B in the process.

I simply don't see them shelling out $75-100 for two huge injury risks in Sandoval or Hanley...but, I suppose it would be Sandoval, since the LH vs. RH issue vis a vis Ramirez.

And I think he'd be more willing to accept a 2+option, 3+option deal at this point, coming off a mostly disappointing but now seemingly rebounding season, where his overall stats look fairly in line with his normal production levels.

If it's Chase Headley, yuck!

If the Astros thought that I'd pull my dick out and finish before they realize where I had just put it.

If we're giving them Flowers and Gillaspie, they better be giving us Castro and +++ back. Flowers actually has a higher fWAR than Castro this year, but not as much upside. I'd rather part with a prospect than Gillaspie although Houston might be interested in him because of how abysmal Dominguez has been this year.

QUOTE (professa @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
If we're giving them Flowers and Gillaspie, they better be giving us Castro and +++ back. Flowers actually has a higher fWAR than Castro this year, but not as much upside. I'd rather part with a prospect than Gillaspie although Houston might be interested in him because of how abysmal Dominguez has been this year.

Yet another danger of those Springer/Singleton type deals that start almost before a player's in the majors now.

If Dominguez, Grossman and Singleton all agreed to those 7 year contracts (when they were offered), they'd be in huge trouble and hamstrung a bit financially before even reaching their competitive window.

QUOTE (professa @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)

Are we onto something here???

I like Gillaspie and have since we got him, I even stood up to wite in his onslaught against him, but I still don't know if he's an everyday 3B or more of a platoon type. I like his bat skills, but I think Castro is the more talented of the two.

Could we conceivably get Castro AND steal a player or two from Houston? I mean everyone else is doing it these days, why not us?

Not to mention you get two years of Jason Castro at higher arbitration salaries...we control Tyler's rights for one additional season, which would take us through 2017.

So we're basically giving them two starters for the right to pay Jason Castro an even higher salary and then we'd likely only have him for ONE competitive season, in 2016.

Would anyone *NOT* do Tyler Flowers for Jason Castro straight-up? I think that one should be unanimous right? One 'no' vote for caulfield maybe.

How much extra would you throw in to do this?

Forget about the arb years, I didn't even know we wanted the rights to Tyler Flowers to begin with. This would be a great deal for us but I highly, highly doubt the Astros would bite. At the very least they would need more, at least one more good player or prospect.

Flowers + Tank, is that fair?

What's the most you'd give?

I'd drive Semien AND a bag of balls to the airport to capitalize on this low risk/high reward scenario involving hit tool and so forth, no question.

What about Danks + loads of cash and Tyler Flowers, lol, that one would be great! I don't that's realistic though. Houston as dumb as they are at least has to know that Castro is a talented guy. Flowers and Tank may interest them, and that one would be hard to pass up.

However, a Connor/Tank DH platoon with both guys getting AB elsewhere (1B and LF for Tank, 3B and LF for Connor) could be a pretty productive situation for us, as long as we can keep Tank fresh enough to get his timing and keep it. That really might turn out well for us. And add Castro & Headley to the picture and we're getting much better defense at the hot corner which helps our pitchers and we're looking at a more balanced lineup with 2 more lefty bats against RHP.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
Why not keep Gillaspie and try trading for Dominguez? He might be easier to get than Castro. That's a R/L platoon I would like to see for the Sox.

Because it's much easier to just keep Semien in that platoon role than giving up real talent for Dominguez?

Just like it's probably better not to trade two starters for one in Castro unless it's abundantly clear that individual player is a HUGE upgrade at a position.

Since you guys are talking Astros, forget Castro and go after Collin McHugh. I'll take McHugh over signing BMAC or Masterson anytime. Not sure what it would take to get McHugh but I'm all over that s***! Sale, McHugh, Q, Noesi, Rodon with Carroll and Danks ( unless traded) as long men/ back ups in the pen.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)
Since you guys are talking Astros, forget Castro and go after Collin McHugh. I'll take McHugh over signing BMAC or Masterson anytime. Not sure what it would take to get McHugh but I'm all over that s***! Sale, McHugh, Q, Noesi, Rodon with Carroll and Danks ( unless traded) as long men/ back ups in the pen.

Hi, Jeff Luhnow here.

You want McHugh? Your starting pitching depth sucks, you realize that?

Well, at any rate, I would like Tim Anderson or a package of two of these guys (Hawkins/Montas/Danish). No, I DON'T want Davidson, Johnson or Semien, either. You can keep your so-called prospects/suspects.

Rick Hahn. Gulp. Phone clicks. Fade to silence.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
Hi, Jeff Luhnow here.

You want McHugh? Your starting pitching depth sucks, you realize that?

Well, at any rate, I would like Tim Anderson or a package of two of these guys (Hawkins/Montas/Danish). No, I DON'T want Davidson, Johnson or Semien, either. You can keep your so-called prospects/suspects.

Rick Hahn. Gulp. Phone clicks. Fade to silence.

Hey, if Luhnow would take two of Danish, Montas, Hawkins then I would pick those two kids up and drive them down to Houston myself and pick McHugh up and drive him back to Chicago. Honestly, I think it would take more than two of those three kids. I would consider Anderson depending on what else Luhnow wanted.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
Hey, if Luhnow would take two of Danish, Montas, Hawkins then I would pick those two kids up and drive them down to Houston myself and pick McHugh up and drive him back to Chicago. Honestly, I think it would take more than two of those three kids. I would consider Anderson depending on what else Luhnow wanted.

I haven't seen him or anything but IIRC on the radio they made it sound like McHugh is an overachiever type with pretty marginal stuff. Like their Carlos Torres or something. We'd need ceiling out of Montas/Danish etc. and if we're doing that then we need to think about Homer Bailey and those types.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
Because it's much easier to just keep Semien in that platoon role than giving up real talent for Dominguez?

Just like it's probably better not to trade two starters for one in Castro unless it's abundantly clear that individual player is a HUGE upgrade at a position.

Good point. I guess I don't really envision Semien being at 3B all that much.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
Good point. I guess I don't really envision Semien being at 3B all that much.

If they don't trade Alexei, and Micah Johnson's not ready (which is pretty clear, physically and hamstring-wise and developmentally)...then Sanchez is your starter at 2B, with Semien filling in at SS/2B/LF and also hitting against lefties for Conor.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
I haven't seen him or anything but IIRC on the radio they made it sound like McHugh is an overachiever type with pretty marginal stuff. Like their Carlos Torres or something. We'd need ceiling out of Montas/Danish etc. and if we're doing that then we need to think about Homer Bailey and those types.

If you get a chance, check out some highlights from McHugh's starts. Dude has a wicked hook, a pretty nice slider and throws his fastball 90--92 with some sink. His numbers on the season are impressive. Another thing is that McHugh is cost effective and won't be a FA til 2020. Honestly, I take him over Bailey without thinking twice.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 03:39 AM)

no freaking way b/c well he is own my top 10 list.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
no freaking way b/c well he is own my top 10 list.

Top ten or not, IMO, I see McHugh as a better option than BMac, Masterson, Bailey, Leake etc which are names that have been thrown around. That's where I'm coming from.

I will say that after thinking about it this evening, I would not include Anderson but I have no problem with names like Montas, Danish and especially Hawkins being discussed. Who knows, maybe Bassitt would interest the Astros.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 12:35 AM)
McHugh reminds me of Phil Humber, who actually went to the Astros (along with Lucas Harrell) after leaving the Sox.

Please, Humber never put up the numbers McHugh has this year. Take a look for yourself.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mchugco01.shtml

I guess more expensive pitchers like BMac, Leake, Latos, Masterson, Shields etc. are better options? Yes, McHugh would cost a few prospects but the money not spent on an expensive starter could in turn be spent on the many holes the Sox have to fill and thats my point.

Oh, and to those talking about McHugh being 27 and dfa. Hector Noesi says hello and I would also like to remind you of that the Sox are Hector's third team this season and most Sox fans are rather pleased with his progress. So please don't give me the age and dfa bulls***.