2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
99.9999 percent chance Eaton never moves from lead off.

Don't get me wrong here, I love Eaton as the leadoff hitter, but if he keeps hitting this well w/RISP and Micah is the impact guy I hope he is, then I think it's at the very least an interesting idea.

Would they bat the 2 back to back? Where would you hit Micah?

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)
well if that pitcher threw 160 pitches in 1 game and on the very next day threw another 3 innings.

I'm just saying. The Sox were major players in what I consider no brainer international signings this offseason. I knew MONTHS before and posted on here about Abreu.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 05:02 AM)
I'm just saying. The Sox were major players in what I consider no brainer international signings this offseason. I knew MONTHS before and posted on here about Abreu.

I was excited about the interest in the pitcher as well as any. but the 1 things that taught me

was that more homework needed to be done in any future signings. I don't really know

much about the pitcher but I was intrigued.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 05:01 AM)
Don't get me wrong here, I love Eaton as the leadoff hitter, but if he keeps hitting this well w/RISP and Micah is the impact guy I hope he is, then I think it's at the very least an interesting idea.

Would they bat the 2 back to back? Where would you hit Micah?

I agree but I would like to have a season to judge to see if there is another good leadoff hitter to

replace eaton.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
hey heads how is it going.

re ejax, I think the sox needs a supply of sp just in case 1 of the sp gets hurts or produce like

felipe paulino. the sox still has erik johnson maybe making another run at starting.

Good man.

Interested to see how Hahn handles the rotation into next year. I don't know about others but I'm fine with Noesi in there

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 05:09 AM)
Good man.

Interested to see how Hahn handles the rotation into next year. I don't know about others but I'm fine with Noesi in there

and same with me as well, but last yr taught me 1 thing. can't have the eggs in 1 basket

so to speak.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 11:05 PM)
I was excited about the interest in the pitcher as well as any. but the 1 things that taught me

was that more homework needed to be done in any future signings. I don't really know

much about the pitcher but I was intrigued.

Well there were two major players the Sox were in on until the end this offseason. Do either look like a bust?

I would expect that the White Sox would be in on Yasmani Tomas. If they did land him, they would need to find LHH from somewhere else though. LH catcher, LH DH, and hopefully Micah Johnson at 2B eventually balances out the lineup. I hope that they are in on Kenta Maeda and I wouldn't rule out a guy like Brandon McCarthy or Justin Masterson.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
I would expect that the White Sox would be in on Yasmani Tomas. If they did land him, they would need to find LHH from somewhere else though. LH catcher, LH DH, and hopefully Micah Johnson at 2B eventually balances out the lineup. I hope that they are in on Kenta Maeda and I wouldn't rule out a guy like Brandon McCarthy or Justin Masterson.

Reading the description of Tomas it sounded like Dayan Viciedo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
70 power

Not an "advanced" hit tool

Strong arm

Questions about his glove

High risk, high reward

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Oh yeah for sure. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just came off that way.

It also sounds like Giancarlo Stanton and Yoenis Cespedes (both probably an 80 power, but still). It's best to wait until the showcase and to see what the rest of the scouts think.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
It also sounds like Giancarlo Stanton and Yoenis Cespedes (both probably an 80 power, but still). It's best to wait until the showcase and to see what the rest of the scouts think.

Yeah, we don't have near enough of a precedent to have an informed opinion. Just gotta trust the org scouts on this one.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Yeah, we don't have near enough of a precedent to have an informed opinion. Just gotta trust the org scouts on this one.

Absolutely. I've never seen the kid and have no idea how accurate that stuff is. Just reading that blurp from earlier made me think of Dayan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
70 power

Not an "advanced" hit tool

Strong arm

Questions about his glove

High risk, high reward

that point sure sound like DV when they were trying to describe him.

well thanks for this, his question about his glove, sounds like a DH in the making.

Dayan Viciedo was a great prospect coming out of Cuba, I'd say at least as celebrated as Soler was if not more. Soler came later & right before the new CBA limits on INTL FA were to take effect, which is why he got so much more money. Soler was also more of an atheletic prospect, but Viciedo was a 3B prospect then who was touted as a truly elite all-around offensive talent. Obviously that hasn't happened.

OTOH Alexei Ramirez was a borderline UT player and nothing more. Jose Abreu had a slider-speed bat and it was doubtful he could handle the inside pitch. Puig was going to need a lot of time in the minors. None of that was true.

But then the other guy the Cubs signed with Soler was Conception who was a bust. Then you have the other guy we really wanted out of Cuba who the Royals signed and busted (forget his name ATM but he was on our radar too).

Chapmann has worked out great.

But then you have the guy IIRC the Rays got, the switch hitting 1B who received some comps to Kendry Morales. Morales worked but this guy didn't make it. I think this was Leslie Anderson IIRC? Got some Darin Erstad comps too I think but in a good way as a strong defensive OF & 1B not so much as a s***ty grinderballer.

Also Leonys Martin in Texas, IIRC he was thought of as a 4th OF. He has done well for them & he's definitely a starter. He wasn't a big name target then but a lot of teams would have entered the bidding had they known he'd turn out the way he did.

Also Iglesias with the Tigers, he was a defense-only guy that Boston signed as a reach. And they were right about the defense part, but he also was the centerpiece of the Peavy deal on their end and the Tigers wanted him so bad they sent Avi Garcia to a division rival for him. Not bad for a "reach" signing that wasn't supposed to be a factor.

In short, take all these reports with a grain of salt. As a rule I love the way the Cuban players play. I love the way they approach the game for the most part. There's a lot of talent over there & I will trust our scouts on this guy when they watch his workouts. The first thing I'd do (and I'm sure this has already been done) is ask Abreu about this guy. If Abreu thinks he's good enough to hit alongside him in the order & if Abreu thinks he's a fit in the clubhouse and so on, then we should be prepared to spend good money to sign this guy.

Has anyone here heard anything about the availability of Korean third baseman Jeong Choi? Before the season, there was talk of him becoming a FA this offseason. Supposedly has Choo-like OBP skills with decent pop and glove. Checked his stats awhile back and it looks like he's played less games than his teammates (and not putting up the greatest #'s) so maybe dealing with injuries. Has been called the David Wright of Korea. He'll be 28 for next season.

Not sure if the org feels Conor's D is adequate at 3B, or if he'll be a platoon DH/1B or even LF down the road, or traded. The Davidson plan is currently shelved. This could be another possibility.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Except the fact that Tomas is 5 years older than Viciedo was and he's also 6'4 240 pounds.

But he is pretty close to what Viciedo is now, a ton of raw power with questionable plate discipline and pitch recognition. From the profiles I have read, Tomas sounds more like Wily Mo Pena than the other recent Cuban successes.