2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 02:37 AM)
If I'm Rick Hahn and dealing with the Yankees, I would want back Gary Sanchez and two of the international prospects that they just signed, preferably Juan de Leon and Antiono Arias.

the yanks has 4 catchers and not including the 1 that they traded at the deadline.

int'l prospects or int'l pool money. however didn't the yanks just destroyed their

int'l free agent quota ?

here is a question that has been bothering me, would the sox use Zach Putnam

or Jake Petricka as closer next yr? do you think they will go outside the team and

look in the free agent market?

is there an option in the minors that may surprise everyone?

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
here is a question that has been bothering me, would the sox use Zach Putnam

or Jake Petricka as closer next yr? do you think they will go outside the team and

look in the free agent market?

is there an option in the minors that may surprise everyone?

I wouldn't be against the sox using either of those, I would like to see Hahn acquire one "proven" arm in free agency ideally someone like miller who i think will get what former white sox Boone Logan got and a bit more something like 3/19M. I Don't feel spending a ton of money on the pen makes sense when relievers by nature are so volatile but an AV of 6.3M isn't terrible. The sox could be a dark horse but '16 is the year we're supposed to be in the thick of it so I would continue to try and piecemeal the bullpen out from the scrap heat and internally with modest free agent additions.

CL - Petricka

SU - Miller L

SU - Putnam

MR - Webb

MR - Guerra

LO - Surkamp L

LR - Noesi/Bassit/Carroll

DL - Jones**

That's still WAY too expensive for a non-closer...and he's unlikely to repeat that season.

Maybe they can do what the Royals have done with Finnegan (move from starting to pen for their initial MLB experience) and push Olacio, Danish or Montas up....Beck would be another good possibility, if he's lacking the repertoire as a starter (what happened to Petricka, basically).

There's also Sanburn who we got from the A's for Dunn who has as good a chance as Webb to stick going into next season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)
That's still WAY too expensive for a non-closer...and he's unlikely to repeat that season.

Maybe they can do what the Royals have done with Finnegan (move from starting to pen for their initial MLB experience) and push Olacio, Danish or Montas up....Beck would be another good possibility, if he's lacking the repertoire as a starter (what happened to Petricka, basically).

There's also Sanburn who we got from the A's for Dunn who has as good a chance as Webb to stick going into next season.

Honestly I don't think it is with the economics of the game what they currently are. You're essentially paying him to be a 1WAR reliever with the added upside for additional value. Paying setup men this type of money is old hat to the sox; they've had two recent experiences with this with polarizing results: Crain(3/14) and Linebrink(4/19).

As for finding pieces internally I think Noesi/Bassit/Carroll/Sanburn/Beck all fit the mold but it would be unwise to only have one left handed option in the pen, which is why bringing in Miller is a good move.

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:11 AM)
Honestly I don't think it is with the economics of the game what they currently are. You're essentially paying him to be a 1WAR reliever with the added upside for additional value. Paying setup men this type of money is old hat to the sox; they've had two recent experiences with this with polarizing results: Crain(3/14) and Linebrink(4/19).

As for finding pieces internally I think Noesi/Bassit/Carroll/Sanburn/Beck all fit the mold but it would be unwise to only have one left handed option in the pen, which is why bringing in Miller is a good move.

I would not be surprised if the White Sox brought in a veteran LH option out of the bullpen, but I would be surprised if the White Sox paid top dollar over multiple years for the top available lefty on the market.

Which leaves the real question...assume Miller is out of our range but we still would want a veteran lefty. What options do we have available to fill that need?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:01 AM)
I would not be surprised if the White Sox brought in a veteran LH option out of the bullpen, but I would be surprised if the White Sox paid top dollar over multiple years for the top available lefty on the market.

Which leaves the real question...assume Miller is out of our range but we still would want a veteran lefty. What options do we have available to fill that need?

Left-Handed Relievers

Joe Beimel (38)

Craig Breslow (34) – $4MM club option with a $100K buyout

Sean Burnett (32) – $4.5MM club/vesting option with a $500K buyout

Phil Coke (32)

Neal Cotts (35)

Scott Downs (39)

Zach Duke (32)

Tom Gorzelanny (32)

Andrew Miller (30)

Franklin Morales (29)

Joe Thatcher (33)

Cotts! Cotts! Cotts! We must retain at least one member of the '05 team on the roster for all time.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Left-Handed Relievers

Joe Beimel (38)

Craig Breslow (34) – $4MM club option with a $100K buyout

Sean Burnett (32) – $4.5MM club/vesting option with a $500K buyout

Phil Coke (32)

Neal Cotts (35)

Scott Downs (39)

Zach Duke (32)

Tom Gorzelanny (32)

Andrew Miller (30)

Franklin Morales (29)

Joe Thatcher (33)

Cotts! Cotts! Cotts! We must retain at least one member of the '05 team on the roster for all time.

am I the only one who is really gung ho on Miller?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 12:30 AM)
He would be great but also a lot of money. If we were closer to being a playoff team I would be all for it. But if Hahn wants to go all in and they think we can contend I am all for it

on mlb rumor page, they have a list of the 2016 free agents. based on that list

I would not mind the sox investing in miller and have him around in case. this

is a great opportunity to get a really good pitcher.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 01:01 AM)
Bailey and Hochevar would be good short term pickups with upside. Same with Brandon Morrow.

I think the Sox can find pitching on the cheap, and spend on a good position player. Pony up for Panda or Headley.

I am finding that Cincy situation may be very interesting and they may be a really good trade

partner.

For LF improvement .. it sickens me that it looks like DeAza is good. Is it the environment on the South Side that made him such a stiff in Chicago? He's doing fine in Baltimore. Should we re-acquire him after he earns this ring in Baltimore? O's looking amazing in rout of Detroit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
For LF improvement .. it sickens me that it looks like DeAza is good. Is it the environment on the South Side that made him such a stiff in Chicago? He's doing fine in Baltimore. Should we re-acquire him after he earns this ring in Baltimore? O's looking amazing in rout of Detroit.

When De Aza was hitting .301 with a .778 OPS in his last 65 games in Chicago, you simply chose to ignore it.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 06:12 AM)
When De Aza was hitting .301 with a .778 OPS in his last 65 games in Chicago, you simply chose to ignore it.

I'm not the only one. Sox got very little for him and now he's excelling. BTW he was despised on this board for the most part for his defense, mental blunders.

I'll not rip the Sox for getting rid of a guy like DeAza, but if he continues to excel, I have to think this is an organizational problem.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 02:27 AM)
I'm not the only one.

But you're the only one who just wrote this "it sickens me that it looks like DeAza is good. Is it the environment on the South Side that made him such a stiff in Chicago?"

After coming out of a bad slump, the guy plays excellently his last 65 games with the Sox.

The guy continues to play well in 20 games in Baltimore.

Then you say "why did he only start playing well after he left Chicago?"

You can see why this is strange, right?

Edited by Vance Law

De Aza was going to be gone in 2015 anyway. No way Sox would let him go to arbitration and be stuck with him again for an entire season at an even higher salary. If he gets a few hits for Baltimore, who cares?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 06:27 AM)
I'm not the only one. Sox got very little for him and now he's excelling. BTW he was despised on this board for the most part for his defense, mental blunders.

I'll not rip the Sox for getting rid of a guy like DeAza, but if he continues to excel, I have to think this is an organizational problem.

hey Greg as you said, or implied, the problem with DeAza was not his offensive numbers. I think

the sox brass had a problem with his defensive mental lapse.

I mean using DeAza and DV in the outfield was not an idea that I would like to think about.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
So I havent been here as long as most of you, but is greg an elaborate troll or just kinda baseball stupid?

he has been on this site for a long time. so what if his point of view may conflict with others,

he help stimulate conversation. this kind of discussion brings out point of views that others

may not have thought about.

but then again, what the hell do I know :D