2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
Masterson still has my interest as a potential turn around guy. I'd love to see a front office discussion that involves his medicals and Don Cooper on his mechanics.

I agree, but that's if we're still focusing on younger/undervalued guys and not making big splashes. You make a big splash on a guy, you bring in a Puig (or a VMart, or someone else like that at a huge price), you don't risk having that investment be pointless because you risked your entire rotation on Masterson finding the form he had prior to this year.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
Yeah, but if Masterson doesn't return to form, you miss the playoffs because your rotation is so weak.

If you're making such a huge move to upgrade your offense, do your really want to hang your playoff chances on Masterson and Danks being solid starting pitchers when both have lost similar amounts of velocity?

If you're doing a move like that, grabbing Puig...you sign a much better starting pitcher and tell the team they're making the playoffs this year.

And I'd be fine with that too, the money is there to go after a more expensive SP. Esp. when you consider Puig is signed to a nice little contract through 2018. So you filled your OF hole with an all star caliber player who is owed 4/31

But with all this said I highly doubt Puig gets traded.

Edited by scs787

You can 99% pencil in Noesi and Danks in the rotation next year. At this point, Dank is your 5th starter. Other than his salary, I can live with that. Noesi is also a 5th starter material as well. So if you have 2 weak pitchers at the end of your rotation, you need a couple of solid mid rotation arms. If we trade Q for Puig, we basically need to bring in a pitcher on the high end side if we want to compete, i.e. someone like Shields, which most of the board would hate to bring in. I am not convinced Masterson can be your #2 starter if you are looking to compete.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
You can 99% pencil in Noesi and Danks in the rotation next year. At this point, Dank is your 5th starter. Other than his salary, I can live with that. Noesi is also a 5th starter material as well. So if you have 2 weak pitchers at the end of your rotation, you need a couple of solid mid rotation arms. If we trade Q for Puig, we basically need to bring in a pitcher on the high end side if we want to compete, i.e. someone like Shields, which most of the board would hate to bring in. I am not convinced Masterson can be your #2 starter if you are looking to compete.

Noesi I agree with. I think they're going to look to move Danks and will eat money (and perhaps a substantial amount) in order to do so.

The Dodgers already have a starting rotation of Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu and Haren.

Do they really need to trade one of their best offensive players, along with Kemp/A-Gone, to get a 3rd or 4th starter for their rotation?

They're already going to be breaking a new SS in again, with Hanley Ramirez likely out the door and Gordon taking his spot. Then you've got Seager probably at 3B, with Uribe as the utility guy...and then probably replacing AJ Ellis, although it won't be easy to make a big upgrade unless they sign Russell Martin.

They're stuck with Brian Wilson and League in the pen.

Then they have that logjam with Joc Pederson, Van Slyke, Ethier, Crawford, Puig and Kemp.

If the White Sox are going to make any type of move, it's going to be for League and Van Slyke. Although logic would dictate they dump Andre ETHIER or possibly Crawford, it's going to be incredibly difficult to pull off. Trading for Andre Ethier doesn't exactly put the White Sox over the hump, EITHER.

Still, I think they will go for 2-3 months next year and wait for a starter to get injured on another team and hope they can swallow most of an Ethier deal at that point. Or they can simply sell Kemp to the highest bidder, leaving Puig in RF, Peterson in CF and Ethier/Crawford splitting the rest of the time. They have to choose Kemp or Puig, essentially...at least if they really believe in Pederson to be an impact CFer.

A lot of tough decisions. One of them's not going to be Quintana for Puig. They MIGHT be willing to trade Kemp/League/Van Slyke for Quintana and Alexei Ramirez, though. I highly doubt they would accept Kemp/League/Van Slyke for Danks and Alexei, or Danks and Tyler. Except we can't afford to trade Flowers unless we have a replacement.

The only area of give would be Pederson and Urias for Quintana...which would carry huge risk for both GM's.

Then the Dodgers would still have Seager (3B), Gordon (SS) and Uribe/Cubans for 2B.

So you'd have the White Sox adding Pederson to their OF, Urias to replace Quintana and then signing Russell Martin if you want a dream scenario that will probably never happen...that would just leave them a DH short. Perhaps they could platoon Van Slyke and Viciedo, without taking on Ethier's contract.

Finally...

Pederson, Urias and Van Slyke for Quintana/Flowers (contingent on the White Sox signing Russell Martin). Of course, you can be 98% sure the Dodgers would outbid us for Martin, although he was their property not so long ago.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Noesi I agree with. I think they're going to look to move Danks and will eat money (and perhaps a substantial amount) in order to do so.

Will believe it when I see it.

Didn't happen with Dunn, but the White Sox are in a position where they need to compete as quickly as possible...and letting John Danks' sunk cost stand in the way of it happening won't sit well for fans tired of hearing the excuse about needing to clear Adam's contract for three years now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)

I still believe the bad contract for bad contract thing is more likely. I really feel like we will see someone like Josh Hamilton, Andre Either, etc here on the south side next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
I still believe the bad contract for bad contract thing is more likely. I really feel like we will see someone like Josh Hamilton, Andre Either, etc here on the south side next year.

YUCK. YUCK. YUCK.

No thanks.

They're better off buying low on 2-3 guys like Domonic Brown or Alvarez than pinning your hopes on those two aging veterans.

Heck, I'd rather have Aoki than either of them. He's not going to come back to haunt you financially, and he's the type of glue player you need...but that would definitely necessitate a big DH bat coming on board.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Will believe it when I see it.

Didn't happen with Dunn, but the White Sox are in a position where they need to compete as quickly as possible...and letting John Danks' sunk cost stand in the way of it happening won't sit well for fans tired of hearing the excuse about needing to clear Adam's contract for three years now.

There are a few things at work. Going into 2013, Dunn was coming off a resurgent year and the Sox felt he was going to be fine in the middle of the order, and he kind of was. They team absolutely bombed and they started selling off parts. Going into last offseason, the Sox knew it was going to be a rebuilding year, so there was no urgency to eat money to move him - why eat money when there's no replacement and no real need to get rid of the player?

Danks' situation is different. The Sox are looking to add a right handed starting pitcher (having said as much), have 3 starters on the staff already, and have Rodon waiting in the wings. You obviously want more than 5 starters, but Bassitt and Carroll also showed that they can handle it a bit too, so you are looking at 7 different starters. There is a reason to move Danks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
YUCK. YUCK. YUCK.

No thanks.

They're better off buying low on 2-3 guys like Domonic Brown or Alvarez than pinning your hopes on those two aging veterans.

Heck, I'd rather have Aoki than either of them. He's not going to come back to haunt you financially, and he's the type of glue player you need...but that would definitely necessitate a big DH bat coming on board.

I actually think Ethier makes a ton of sense for the White Sox. Hamilton less so, but the possibility exists if LA is willing to eat about 60 million.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
There are a few things at work. Going into 2013, Dunn was coming off a resurgent year and the Sox felt he was going to be fine in the middle of the order, and he kind of was. They team absolutely bombed and they started selling off parts. Going into last offseason, the Sox knew it was going to be a rebuilding year, so there was no urgency to eat money to move him - why eat money when there's no replacement and no real need to get rid of the player?

Danks' situation is different. The Sox are looking to add a right handed starting pitcher (having said as much), have 3 starters on the staff already, and have Rodon waiting in the wings. You obviously want more than 5 starters, but Bassitt and Carroll also showed that they can handle it a bit too, so you are looking at 7 different starters. There is a reason to move Danks.

The problem is they're essentially gambling the season on Bassitt/Carroll, Noesi and then eventually Rodon being able to perform, and perform well in the first half of 2015 (and Sale/Quintana remaining healthy, of course).

Odds are against that going well, especially the first part...although stranger things have happened. There will hopefully be a lot more patience with Rodon than they demonstrated with Daniel Hudson in 2010.

And that's assuming you have a much improved bullpen as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
I actually think Ethier makes a ton of sense for the White Sox. Hamilton less so, but the possibility exists if LA is willing to eat about 60 million.

If you move Danks, that eats up about half of that. Hamilton has something like $80-85 million left on the deal, depending on which accounting method you want to use for his bonuses that he could make.

The same applies to any other bad for bad type of deal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
The problem is they're essentially gambling the season on Bassitt/Carroll, Noesi and then eventually Rodon being able to perform, and perform well in the first half of 2015 (and Sale/Quintana remaining healthy, of course).

Odds are against that going well, especially the first part...although stranger things have happened. There will hopefully be a lot more patience with Rodon than they demonstrated with Daniel Hudson in 2010.

And that's assuming you have a much improved bullpen as well.

Why would they be gambling the season on Bassitt or Carroll? One of those is the 5th starter to start the season, one the 6th starter. Once Rodon comes up, that changes to 6th/7th. If everyone fails, your team was doomed to begin with anyways.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Ethier would be okay if it was just two years, but four is at least one too many.

Good thing there's only 3 years guaranteed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Why would they be gambling the season on Bassitt or Carroll? One of those is the 5th starter to start the season, one the 6th starter. Once Rodon comes up, that changes to 6th/7th. If everyone fails, your team was doomed to begin with anyways.

Good thing there's only 3 years guaranteed.

$56 million for the next 3 years is guaranteed, though. That's almost another Adam Dunn contract there...or Danks.

EVEN if they sent $20 million, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel comfortable committing $36 million over 3 years to a platoon outfielder. I'd just as soon give that to Nick Markakis or Colby Rasmus and not have to surrender any talent in return.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
$56 million for the next 3 years is guaranteed, though. That's almost another Adam Dunn contract there...or Danks.

If they sent $20 million, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel comfortable committing $36 million over 3 years to a platoon outfielder. I'd just as soon give that to Nick Markakis or Colby Rasmus and not have to surrender any talent in return.

The idea is that the Dodgers would eat money somehow, someway. The Sox wouldn't trade for Andre Ethier at $19 mill per season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
The idea is that the Dodgers would eat money somehow, someway. The Sox wouldn't trade for Andre Ethier at $19 mill per season.

Except they're never going to take Danks back in return.

And if they were to send $20 million, they're going to ask for a pretty good prospect...Hawkins, probably.

Hamilton, really?

Here's the latest and greatest from the over paid, aging hitting that is clearly on the downside of his career...

“We don’t necessarily play for the people in the stands,” he said. “We play for each other. We spend every day with each other. We have relationships with each other. We love each other. We fight for each other. That’s what we play for.”

Full article here...

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/...he-get-it.html/

Thanks but no thanks. I realize the Sox want to contend but Hamilton is not the answer. Its just a bad idea no matter how you look at it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Except they're never going to take Danks back in return.

And if they were to send $20 million, they're going to ask for a pretty good prospect...Hawkins, probably.

Then they're not moving him to anyone.

If I would have to bet on one of the three to live up to the close to the value that we are paying for them for the rest of their contract, it would be Danks. Also, a part of me thinks that with Danks performing well in the final 4 starts of the season, they will roll the dice with him being a high potential 5th starter and trade him mid season of next off season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
There is a Tribune article saying Cooper is making a rare appearance at the AFL, as the Sox try to accelerate the progress of their younger pitchers to use as bullpen pieces.

The most interesting part was the quote from Bassit, who seems to WANT to be a reliever.

Maybe Montas too, because he has to be protected on the 40 man this year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
Maybe Montas too, because he has to be protected on the 40 man this year.

Probably wants a look at him, but it has nothing to do with protecting him. Montas was always going to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
There is a Tribune article saying Cooper is making a rare appearance at the AFL, as the Sox try to accelerate the progress of their younger pitchers to use as bullpen pieces.

The most interesting part was the quote from Bassit, who seems to WANT to be a reliever.

Bassit probably thinks that is the only way he would be able to stay with the MLB team. Probably smart on his part

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)

When we did a story with Bassit maybe a year ago as part of FutureSox, he had hinted that he preferred coming out of the pen, etc.