Updated MLB Free Agent Power Rankings List (9/2)

caulfield12

Who from the Top 3-10 do you most want?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one to pay for 3-4 years and $40-80 million

• Big Game James Shields
    • Hanley Ramirez
    • Pablo Sandoval
    • Victor Martinez
    • Yasmani Tomas
    • Melky Cabrera
    • Russell Martin
    • Nelson Cruz
    • Kenta Maeda
    • Rasmus/Markakis/Morse (choose one) and one reliever (see below)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Give me Maeda depending on cost.

Despite the Dice K and Tanaka situations?

Hope they've done a lot of due diligence to make that move...and Maeda doesn't seem to move the meter (quite) to be that legitimate frontline starter that can come in and make an impact like Tanaka did with the Yankees before he went down.

Agewise, he seems to fit the profile.

Are they going to stick with the same posting system again or has it been changed another time? Or same as last year?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)

Hope they've done a lot of due diligence to make that move...and Maeda doesn't seem to move the meter (quite) to be that legitimate frontline starter that can come in and make an impact like Tanaka did with the Yankees before he went down.

Are they going to stick with the same posting system again or has it been changed another time? Or same as last year?

Well, I think the Sox might have had a better shot of keeping Tanaka healthy.

I also trust the Sox when it comes to pitchers. If they think Maeda would be worth it, he's worth it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
I will say again, I don't see the Sox spending big dollars on a frontline pitcher unless someone gets dealt in a massive deal. I think they will be content to set up.

Sale-Q-Rodon-Danks-Noesi

Basically, the only way to pull that off is to clear the salaries of Danks and Ramirez. Maybe if they packaged them together and expected almost nothing in return, but the Sox are unlikely to make that move unless they're 100% sure Semien or Sanchez can play SS on an everyday basis.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)

As long as he doesn't get paid like a frontline starter, that's fine, he doesn't need to be. At some point the rotation is going to feature Sale, Rodon, and Q. If Rodon is the beast we all hope he is they don't need Maeda to be a legit frontline starter.

I've read a lot on Maeda and I like him as well. Reminds me of Iwakuma who quietly has been one of the better starters in the league since coming over.

He's not gonna be as hyped as Darvish and Tanaka, so I don't think he's gonna be paid like an ace. I'm guessing he gets somewhere in the 12M range annually.....Which is probably around what a guy like Masterson gets as well.

I also do tend to agree with SS2k5 though. Unless they trade Danks we probably role with the rotation he brought up.....If they do trade Danks somehow I'd be all about Maeda. Sale-Q-Maeda-Rodon-Noesi would be sexy.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
As long as he doesn't get paid like a frontline starter, that's fine, he doesn't need to be. At some point the rotation is going to feature Sale, Rodon, and Q. If Rodon is the beast we all hope he is they don't need Maeda to be a legit frontline starter.

I've read a lot on Maeda and I like him as well. Reminds me of Iwakuma who quietly has been one of the better starters in the league since coming over.

He's not gonna be as hyped as Darvish and Tanaka, so I don't think he's gonna be paid like an ace. I'm guessing he gets somewhere in the 12M range annually.....Which is probably around what a guy like Masterson gets as well.

Masterson's going to be lucky to get $10 million per year at this point...if it's a long-term deal.

Too risky for both sides, probably. He'll be advised to sign a one year deal with some type of mutual option and try to rebuild his value, like Erwin Santana's attempting this year. (Backfired for Morales and Drew).

As far as Shields goes, he's likely to end up between $85-125 million, so yeah, probably not in the plans...since signing him virtually precludes any improvements via free agency at C, LF, DH and with the bullpen.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)

I also do tend to agree with SS2k5 though. Unless they trade Danks we probably role with the rotation he brought up.....If they do trade Danks somehow I'd be all about Maeda. Sale-Q-Maeda-Rodon-Noesi would be sexy.

There's really a HUGE dropoff from the top three to the next tier.

In the end, that's going to push up Maeda's asking price, since he's the biggest unknown and perhaps the pitcher most likely to make a big impact of all the remaining possibilities out there on the market...as the pitcher always has the advantage until batters can adjust.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
1. Tomas for sure.

2. Lester. all depending on the salary. wouldn't cost a pick.

3. Hanley Ramirez - I don't know why, but I like him.

4. mid level rp.

Lester will cost you $150 million, maybe $175. Too pricey, and, as always noted these days, huge contracts for pitchers near 30 or over are almost always a recipe for disaster (see Justin Verlander or Tanaka).

Hanley Ramirez can't play everyday SS. If he could, then you'd obviously trade Ramirez/Danks...giving you some more payroll flexibility. The problem is that Ramirez will never stay healthy playing SS everyday.

He could perhaps share SS/3B and DH duties. But, once again, do you invest $100 million plus in a player at his age, with his recent injury history? Probably too big of a risk. And he's more of a 3B than a SS at this point in his career, although he can play both fairly adequately.

We need a competent lefty setup guy and a better closer. Maybe out of Petricka/Webb/Guerra/Putnam/Bassit you get two useful pitchers in 2015, but there's just way too many question marks to not make big changes.

You already know going into 2015 that Belisario and Lindstrom are out and so is Nate Jones...and that Petricka's not quite ready to be a closer, and might never be unless he can hone his offspeed stuff and get more movement and better command with his fastball, especially when he's behind in the count.

As far as Tomas goes, if Rusney Castillo got $72.5 million, then you're talking that number or higher for Tomas, perhaps approaching $85-90 million. That's fine if Abreu/Ramirez/Viciedo give the go-ahead.

Edited by caulfield12

Lester will cost you $150 million, maybe $175. Too pricey, and, as always noted these days, huge contracts for pitchers near 30 or over are almost always a recipe for disaster (see Justin Verlander or Tanaka).

Tanaka is 25. I still agree with your premise though, big money to pitchers is scary.

Hanley Ramirez can't play everyday SS. If he could, then you'd obviously trade Ramirez/Danks...giving you some more payroll flexibility. The problem is that Ramirez will never stay healthy playing SS everyday.

He could perhaps share SS/3B and DH duties. But, once again, do you invest $100 million plus in a player at his age, with his recent injury history? Probably too big of a risk. And he's more of a 3B than a SS at this point in his career, although he can play both fairly adequately.

Ramirez hasn't been injury prone at all, I mean there's a decent chance as the years go by that his defense gets worse and maybe his body deteriorates everyday SS won't be as manageable (or valuable). But to say he won't be healthy playing SS ever day as if it's a given... not yet.

I really, really like the idea of a DH who can play the field more than 1B. I don't think I like the idea $100m worth but there are cheaper, perhaps interna,l options there than Hanley.

Also, I've always liked Pablo Sandoval, but there are maybe actually NO examples of guys that fat being good in their 30's. And he's kind of famous for being really difficult to convince to lose weight.

I'm not trying to be mean, but with a trend that stark, that's a very high level of risk. These types of deals are so risky anyway that I don't like the idea of taking one that comes with more risk than usual.

You guys are right, this FA class sucks. That's why it's Russell Martin or bust to me.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Also, I've always liked Pablo Sandoval, but there are maybe actually NO examples of guys that fat being good in their 30's. And he's kind of famous for being really difficult to convince to lose weight.

I'm not trying to be mean, but with a trend that stark, that's a very high level of risk. These types of deals are so risky anyway that I don't like the idea of taking one that comes with more risk than usual.

You guys are right, this FA class sucks. That's why it's Russell Martin or bust to me.

Tony Gwynn, although I'm not quite positive he weighed as much as Sandoval. Pretty close though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
Tony Gwynn, although I'm not quite positive he weighed as much as Sandoval. Pretty close though.

Tony Gwynn was also one of the best hitters of all time, and frankly he was the best pure hitter since Ted Williams. Both points (there have been exceptions but "fat" players typically don't age well) are still valid though.

QUOTE (staxx @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Tomas, Masterson, Martin and RP.

playoff team.

You've also just spent approximately $200 million.

Good luck thinking JR will agree. The ending of the movie Magnolia (except it will rain down more Abreu's and Alexei's) is perhaps more realistic than that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
You've also just spent approximately $200 million.

Good luck thinking JR will agree. The ending of the movie Magnolia (except it will rain down more Abreu's and Alexei's) is perhaps more realistic than that.

How much do you think Tomas is going to get? I'm guessing you think somewhere in the range of $120-140 million. I don't think Martin will get anywhere north of $40 million, Masterson $6-10 mill on a 1 year deal, and that leaves $10-30 mill for relievers in the $200 million threshold you've set.

In other words, I don't see any way that's possibly close to $200 million. Not sure it's a playoff team, but let's be realistic.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
How much do you think Tomas is going to get? I'm guessing you think somewhere in the range of $120-140 million. I don't think Martin will get anywhere north of $40 million, Masterson $6-10 mill on a 1 year deal, and that leaves $10-30 mill for relievers in the $200 million threshold you've set.

In other words, I don't see any way that's possibly close to $200 million. Not sure it's a playoff team, but let's be realistic.

$85-90 million for Tomas, maybe $95

Masterson for at least $30 million

Martin for $50 million, based on the complete dearth of other catchers available, the Salty/McCann deals last off-season, etc.

RP basically $15-20 million.

Maybe off by $10-20 million, but I might just as easily be right.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)

$85-90 million for Tomas, maybe $95

Masterson for at least $30 million

Martin for $50 million, based on the complete dearth of other catchers available, the Salty/McCann deals last off-season, etc.

RP basically $15-20 million.

Maybe off by $10-20 million, but I might just as easily be right.

I will let you believe what you want to believe and just leave on the note that, if a team gives Justin Masterson $30 million for any length of time, they are run by idiots. The Justin Masterson move might work for them, but a team with foresight that poor will make a lot more mistakes beyond that.

I will let you believe what you want to believe and just leave on the note that, if a team gives Justin Masterson $30 million for any length of time, they are run by idiots. The Justin Masterson move might work for them, but a team with foresight that poor will make a lot more mistakes beyond that.

I would offer him $30 million spread evenly over 300 years, but he only gets paid while still alive.