Line-up protection....here comes the expected article, replacing Dunn

caulfield12

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Nor do I think Viciedo will be back. Without the roster holds accounted for, Sox have $56 mil committed on 17 players. And I expect 3 spots to be filled by Wilkins, Sanchez and Snodgress. Meaning Sox should have $32 mil to spend on 5 players to reach a fair estimate of $90 mil payroll.

I would be shocked if Wilkins is on the Sox next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
It is WAY too early for that. I want to see Wilkins get comfortable first before I pass judgement on him.

Not saying he will hit .056 forever. He is just completely over-matched right now. I'd love for him to be our big lefty bat next season, but I doubt it'll work. If he is on the team, my guess is it will say more about the team's belief in its own chances of contending than its belief in him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
Belisario's definitely gone, not offered the opportunity to return.

Viciedo and Nate Jones are question marks at the moment.

Flowers will stay.

I guess it also depends on how accountants want to allocate Abreu's signing bonus...all monies into 2014, spread out over multiple years, etc.

If Nate Jones isn't offered arbitration (which, given his injuries this year, he might get like $900k at the most, which might be covered by insurance anyways), I imagine it would be with a handshake agreement to bring him back. The Sox really like him, even to the point of favoring him for the closer role prior to his Spring Training injury (from which he never fully healed).

I also can't see how Viciedo wouldn't be offered arbitration as well, regardless of whether he's with Chicago long-term. I could see the Sox interested in trying to swap him for someone like Dominic Brown too.

If they offered DeAza and Beckham coming off their 2013 seasons, Viciedo's going to be offered one last chance...whether people like it or not.

Forgot about the insurance comp side of things on Jones. At any rate, that could go either way.

As for Surkamp, if he's THE lefty coming into next year, OR Snodgress, look out below. One of those two, along with a Bassit type, should be the last two ever coming out of the pen. If they're placed in prominent, top five, use when tied or leading roles, we're likely to be 10-15 games under .500 again barring some major changes in other areas during the offseason.

What Hahn says makes sense, does he goes "all in" like pre-2011 Dunn's contract or spread it between El Duque, Iguchi, Dye, AJ, Pods, Vizcaino, Hermanson in 2005 style? If we could miraculously find those 5-7 veteran or bordering on veteran (26-32 year olds) players for reasonable contract dollars, of course you do that, rather than blowing it all on Shields/M.Cabrera/closer for example. If you look at the roster, wholesale improvement is still needed across multiple positions/roster spots. We're far from 1-2 players away as we sit right now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
If Nate Jones isn't offered arbitration (which, given his injuries this year, he might get like $900k at the most, which might be covered by insurance anyways), I imagine it would be with a handshake agreement to bring him back. The Sox really like him, even to the point of favoring him for the closer role prior to his Spring Training injury (from which he never fully healed).

I also can't see how Viciedo wouldn't be offered arbitration as well, regardless of whether he's with Chicago long-term. I could see the Sox interested in trying to swap him for someone like Dominic Brown too.

I have to imagine the Sox bring back Jones, in order to keep his rights for future years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
If they offered DeAza and Beckham coming off their 2013 seasons, Viciedo's going to be offered one last chance...whether people like it or not.

Forgot about the insurance comp side of things on Jones. At any rate, that could go either way.

As for Surkamp, if he's THE lefty coming into next year, OR Snodgress, look out below. One of those two, along with a Bassit type, should be the last two ever coming out of the pen. If they're placed in prominent, top five, use when tied or leading roles, we're likely to be 10-15 games under .500 again barring some major changes in other areas during the offseason.

What Hahn says makes sense, does he goes "all in" like pre-2011 Dunn's contract or spread it between El Duque, Iguchi, Dye, AJ, Pods, Vizcaino, Hermanson in 2005 style? If we could miraculously find those 5-7 veteran or bordering on veteran (26-32 year olds) players for reasonable contract dollars, of course you do that, rather than blowing it all on Shields/M.Cabrera/closer for example. If you look at the roster, wholesale improvement is still needed across multiple positions/roster spots. We're far from 1-2 players away as we sit right now.

I doubt you would get an insurance payout for something that has already happened. They would have to eat the salary and move on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
I doubt you would get an insurance payout for something that has already happened. They would have to eat the salary and move on.

I simply meant if they had it on every player, regardless of salary...but for Jones' salary level, it's meaningless almost.

What would be more interesting is if "diminished performance due to injury" could be paid out on Danks. Of course, every team's going to claim that, so no team would touch that kind of coverage with a ten foot pole.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Not saying he will hit .056 forever. He is just completely over-matched right now. I'd love for him to be our big lefty bat next season, but I doubt it'll work. If he is on the team, my guess is it will say more about the team's belief in its own chances of contending than its belief in him.

This is why Wilkins should have been up on August 1.

He has taken months to get comfortable at every level he's stopped at. That should have been expected again at this level. Maybe 1 extra month wouldn't have been enough, but it's a helluva lot better than not giving it to him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
I have seen a few people (namely the BFFs SS2K and Dick Allen) refer to what Hahn said the other day. Where did he speak and can I find it online?

Here are some quotes from the most recent version

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/29770166-57...ml#.VA9102NpvQo

“We’ll have a fair amount of flexibility,’’ Hahn said. “Our commitments headed into 2015 are not too great, and although we don’t have a payroll number yet, and we won’t for a few months, I think there’s going to be a fair amount of room. We’ll have to decide based on the options available to us whether it makes sense to invest heavily in one or two targets or try to spread it around between a half-dozen or so.’’

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
This is why Wilkins should have been up on August 1.

He has taken months to get comfortable at every level he's stopped at. That should have been expected again at this level. Maybe 1 extra month wouldn't have been enough, but it's a helluva lot better than not giving it to him.

Good point. Now in this small sample size, he's looked lousy.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
I have seen a few people (namely the BFFs SS2K and Dick Allen) refer to what Hahn said the other day. Where did he speak and can I find it online?

I get mine from chicagotribune .com . Right before game time, they usually have fresh videos with Robin maybe a player and occassionally Hahn.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
Thank you. This was what I was looking for.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...emiumvideo.html - Hahn on Viciedo

What did he say?

About plate discipline/strike zone management....cutting down on his swing with two strikes and going more to RF?

Throws to the wrong bases? Missing the cutoff man? Bad jumps/reads? Defensive "awareness" and thinking ahead of the action proactively instead of reacting?