Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
Be outraged, but don't act like it's the biggest deal in the world. This criticism of mine applies more to the tone and narrative used by the media than individuals reacting to the story.

I think you mistake anybody commenting on anything on a message board as making it "the biggest deal in the world".

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
I think it's safe to say that 3 weeks ago, I would have been just as appalled to learn about a child being beaten with a stick to the point of bruising and bleeding as I am today. It's not weird for people to express their opinions on a topic when the topic comes up in current events. It sometimes takes a major event that happens to get the public's attention for whatever reason to expose deeper problems that have been there for a while but weren't made so obvious before.

See this is my point. This type of abuse isn't new. It's not different. It's not an epidemic. It's not a league-wide issue. Yet that's the responses and editorials we're getting from these single, relatively rare events.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
You have to admit this is just something else for people to talk about and be pseudo fake outraged over. Can we get back to domestic abuse? Oh and the Redskins name? Or have we exhausted our outrage on those already?

This is basically just a way of saying "stop talking about this."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
See this is my point. This type of abuse isn't new. It's not different. It's not an epidemic. It's not a league-wide issue. Yet that's the responses and editorials we're getting from these single, relatively rare events.

Do we know this for sure? It's a legitimate question to ask when there's a string of these high-profile events of domestic and child abuse represent a deeper problem within the NFL's culture and more broadly in the country's culture.

USA Today put together NFL player arrest data since 2000. It's presented in an interactive graphical form here: http://highrankwebsites.com/nfl-crimes-interactive/

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
Be outraged, but don't act like it's the biggest deal in the world. This criticism of mine applies more to the tone and narrative used by the media than individuals reacting to the story.

So you're saying that I should do things that don't matter, like say commenting on it on a message board and social media, while still going about my life and similarly choosing to have it not otherwise alter my day?

Done.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)

But this is the thing with you and any sort of social issue, you determine that you dont care so therefore nobody else should. You hand wave it, and tell us all to go about our business.

If you dont really care, then stop telling others not to care.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Do we know this for sure? It's a legitimate question to ask when there's a string of these high-profile events of domestic and child abuse represent a deeper problem within the NFL's culture and more broadly in the country's culture.

USA Today put together NFL player arrest data since 2000. It's presented in an interactive graphical form here: http://highrankwebsites.com/nfl-crimes-interactive/

3-4 recent events = a string of events out of a league that employees thousands and thousands of people? This is what i'm talking about. We're creating narratives that don't exist based on a few events involving a couple of popular, well-known players.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-domestic-violen...re-rest-1690695

Based on the approximate 2,560 players that are on NFL teams in training camp and the regular season, Benjamin Morris of FiveThirtyEight reports that the league’s arrest rate for domestic violence is just 55.4 percent of the national average. Of the 1,696 players that are currently on NFL rosters, 0.7 percent have been arrested for domestic violence in the last nine years, per NBC News.

Across the board, NFL players are arrested far less frequently than the general public, with the league’s arrest rate coming in at just 13 percent of the national average for men between the ages of 25 and 29. When looking at specific crimes, though, domestic violence rates are closer to the national average than anything else.

After domestic violence, nonviolent gun-related and sex-offense crimes are closest to the national average. NFL players are arrested for those crimes at a rate of 45.2 percent and 38.2 percent of the national average, respectively, compared to 55.4 percent of the national domestic violence arrest rate

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)

To the kid getting the s*** beat out of him by a stick, it is a big f***ing deal. Some people actually feel the need to stand up and say that we don't have to allow that as a society.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
3-4 recent events = a string of events out of a league that employees thousands and thousands of people? This is what i'm talking about. We're creating narratives that don't exist based on a few events involving a couple of popular, well-known players.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-domestic-violen...re-rest-1690695

And the official efforts at the highest levels of a team and at the highest level of the NFL to sweep it under the rug/cover it up?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
To the kid getting the s*** beat out of him by a stick, it is a big f***ing deal. Some people actually feel the need to stand up and say that we don't have to allow that as a society.

Hey great, I agree. But why didn't we do all this a week ago before we knew of a particular instance of abuse by an NFL player?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
Slightly related, f*** anyone that says bulls*** like "if your kids are out of control you're a bad parent." That's 100% bulls*** with little kids. Maybe a 16 year old you can say there's a failure in parenting, but not a kid under say like 6-7. Kids are wired from the day they're born to have certain traits. One of those is being incredibly strong willed and independent. I have a 2 year old son who is going through the terrible twos. He tests us every chance he gets. He purposefully does things to get a rise out of us. He's the complete opposite of my wife and I (as adults anyway). We just spent 3 days at Disney and for the most part he was great, but he had a couple meltdowns where he tried to run away and wouldn't listen or he just broke down and threw a tantrum. I guarantee you there were people thinking "oh what an out of control kid, clearly the parents fault." No, f*** that. We've done everything nearly by the book (which is bulls*** in and of itself given that every child is different and every parenting of a child should be different) and we're stuck with a strong willed 2 year old.

That doesn’t sound like and out of control kid. That sound like a kid throwing a fit. It happens.

At least you are making an effort to do something about it. I know a few parents that make no effort at all. Those are the ones with the out of control kids.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
That doesn’t sound like and out of control kid. That sound like a kid throwing a fit. It happens.

At least you are making an effort to do something about it. I know a few parents that make no effort at all. Those are the ones with the out of control kids.

Oh we know. It's a stage. He's 2. It's gonna happen. But trust me, as a new parent, it's incredibly infuriating when you hear non-parents and parents of "well behaved kids" make comments about your parenting as if they would be any better.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I think that's been covered/talked about, no?

1. Is the commissioner still employed?

2. Did a team not try to reinstate a player who beat his child up until sponsors told them not to?

3. Did that happen so long ago that there is nothing left to discuss about it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
So why do love animal cruelty? I haven't seen you talk about it.

For the 3rd time, feel free to be outraged. If you're the media, cover the story, don't take it to the next step of trying to create some narrative that doesn't exist about that issue.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
For the 3rd time, feel free to be outraged. If you're the media, cover the story, don't take it to the next step of trying to create some narrative that doesn't exist about that issue.

Why do you hate orphans? I haven't seen you say anything about them either.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)

So one serious question for you since you're certain that the NFL doesn't have a domestic violence problem...are you 100% convinced that incidents of domestic violence would get reported at the same rate for NFL players as they do for everyone else?

Between money and the fact that NFL teams (and college, for that matter) are generally thought to be able to get people out of some problems, I wonder whether I can trust the stats that 538 processed there.

Just for an example, something tells me that if I flipped a car off a highway, totaled it, and then left the scene before the police arrived, I'd have some serious problems.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
So one serious question for you since you're certain that the NFL doesn't have a domestic violence problem...are you 100% convinced that incidents of domestic violence would get reported at the same rate for NFL players as they do for everyone else?

Between money and the fact that NFL teams (and college, for that matter) are generally thought to be able to get people out of some problems, I wonder whether I can trust the stats that 538 processed there.

Just for an example, something tells me that if I flipped a car off a highway, totaled it, and then left the scene before the police arrived, I'd have some serious problems.

Using your own logic and previously mentioned thoughts by many throughout this thread, couldn't you also assume that the national average is actually much, much higher since the majority of DV incidents are never reported? They're working with the data they have there. If you're going to question one part of it and think it may be higher, you have to do the same thing across the board.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Using your own logic and previously mentioned thoughts by many throughout this thread, couldn't you also assume that the national average is actually much, much higher since the majority of DV incidents are never reported? They're working with the data they have there. If you're going to question one part of it and think it may be higher, you have to do the same thing across the board.

An entirely fair point.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I guess jenks's point is that in his perfect world, we would not be upset about women being hospitalized by their fiancees and 4 year olds getting whipped in the testicles with a tree branch.

Ahh what a world, free of the oppressive stench of PCism, where you can beat your wife without fear of people being condescending.

Perfect. It's his take on every topic.

Jenks just hates the whole PC/making a big deal out of anything, so he just tells us or the media to stop talking about it.

As "outraged" as people are over Rice, Peterson etc...far more people are more outraged at the NFL/teams attempting to cover it up.

When 50% of people think Goodell should lose his job, it's going to be a newsworthy story worth talking about. Not everything is "faux outrage" or whatever you'd like to call it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
Oh we know. It's a stage. He's 2. It's gonna happen. But trust me, as a new parent, it's incredibly infuriating when you hear non-parents and parents of "well behaved kids" make comments about your parenting as if they would be any better.

Just out of curiosity how did you deal with the 2 year old's behavior when he tried to run away and got mean? I'm not judging. I just figure there has to be some sort of response. What did you do and what do you do? It's obvious what Adrian Peterson would do, even at 2, the stuff we've been hearing about AP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)

I really felt sad for the child and sickened after seeing those pictures. AP should not play the rest of the season IMO. I don't know about next year.