2014-2015 MLB off season player movement and rumors thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
He's still a backup. I am using an analogy here. Trade made sense for both teams, Red Sox overpaid to fill a need, Padres got great value from the deal.

I think Middlebrooks is garbage, so I think the Red Sox made a fine deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
I think Middlebrooks is garbage, so I think the Red Sox made a fine deal.

I think the Padres made out like bandits. The only upside in this trade is Middlebrooks. I'm not saying he'll reach it but I'd bet on him before I bet on Davidson, I'd tell you that much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
I think the Padres made out like bandits. The only upside in this trade is Middlebrooks. I'm not saying he'll reach it but I'd bet on him before I bet on Davidson, I'd tell you that much.

Hanigan actually fills a hole for Boston and they had absolutely no use whatsoever for Middlebrooks.

We'll say the Sox traded Dayan Viciedo to the Rays for Grant Balfour, would you say the Rays automatically win that trade because Viciedo represents the only upside in that deal?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
Hanigan actually fills a hole for Boston and they had absolutely no use whatsoever for Middlebrooks.

We'll say the Sox traded Dayan Viciedo to the Rays for Grant Balfour, would you say the Rays automatically win that trade because Viciedo represents the only upside in that deal?

Depends, Balfour actually has a chance to be a bonafide piece, depending on what the Sox internal scouting reports say on his down 2014 season. If he pitches like he did the 3 years prior, who cares, he fits into your immediate plans. In the case of the Red Sox, they are not getting an integral piece but are moving a guy with high upside at a much more premium position than Viciedo current plays. If I were to trade Viciedo, I'd want someone else's talent who might turn into our upside, a raw player who might have some upside, or a quality player who fills a more integral need.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
Depends, Balfour actually has a chance to be a bonafide piece, depending on what the Sox internal scouting reports say on his down 2014 season. If he pitches like he did the 3 years prior, who cares, he fits into your immediate plans. In the case of the Red Sox, they are not getting an integral piece but are moving a guy with high upside at a much more premium position than Viciedo current plays. If I were to trade Viciedo, I'd want someone else's talent who might turn into our upside, a raw player who might have some upside, or a quality player who fills a more integral need.

What I'm suggesting is that Hanigan can be just as valuable as a piece like Balfour. In 264 plate appearances last year and 603.2 innings in the field, Hanigan was worth 1.2 WAR and he's regarded as a guy who is a very good defensive catcher who puts the bat on the ball and draws a bunch of walks. He's also been very strong against left handed pitching in his career, though last year was a bit of an outlier, with a .258/.377/.385 line and a 110 wRC+ in 439 plate appearances.

I think Middlebrooks got quite overhyped based on his strong appearance and that he could easily be a bad baseball player.

I should scale it back a bit and say that I understand why they made this move, but I really hope they have some sort of fall back plan because I do not have a lot of faith in Middlebrooks long-term.

Forgive my rant in advance. ...

So Alex Rios signs with KC for 11 million dollars.

Now since he gets to play the Sox 19 times (we know what ex Sox players do to the Sox as in kill them) he might produce a bit.

But you've got to be kidding me? Alex Rios hasn't shown the baseball world how INVALUABLE he is by now? I tell you, baseball is one profession you can get paid and not have to produce.

After the year he had last year he gets to pocket 11 more million?? And Kendrys Morales gets to pocket 8 million?? The list goes on.

I tell you, we'd all be better off if baseball owners just paid these ballplayers pennies and let the customer go to the game for movie-like prices. 10-12 bucks a game. Sad that this elitist sport is run by people who get all that TV money and don't mind giving "players" like Alex Rios 11 million a year when he has PROVEN he's a mediocre to lousy ballplayer.

My god.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:41 PM)

Now since he gets to play the Sox 19 times (we know what ex Sox players do to the Sox as in kill them) he might produce a bit.

But you've got to be kidding me? Alex Rios hasn't shown the baseball world how INVALUABLE he is by now? I tell you, baseball is one profession you can get paid and not have to produce.

After the year he had last year he gets to pocket 11 more million?? And Kendrys Morales gets to pocket 8 million?? The list goes on.

I tell you, we'd all be better off if baseball owners just paid these ballplayers pennies and let the customer go to the game for movie-like prices. 10-12 bucks a game. Sad that this elitist sport is run by people who get all that TV money and don't mind giving "players" like Alex Rios 11 million a year when he has PROVEN he's a mediocre to lousy ballplayer.

My god.

Tell me

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:41 PM)

My god.

you're just figuring this out. It's not an elitist sport, it's a good way to make alot of money. They only spend the money because they know they can make the money. Just like to movies you mention. There is a reason some actors gets 20 million for 6 months worth of work. They producers know they will make the money back.