Finding a LH/Switch hitting OFer

caulfield12

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:27 AM)
Semien was worse than Gillaspie at 3B. 10 errors in 31 games is a red flag that he would at least need a full season in AAA learning 3B if that is what management plans for him.

Semien has played 2B, 3B, SS and i believe LF in 2014. Hard to be good defensively when one is constantly being shuttled around. I do agree that Semien's defense needs work, regardless of where he plays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
The Pirates are now extremely strong at 3b. Josh Harrison had an all star caliber season out of no where and has absolutely taken over that position full time. On top of that, Pedro Alvarez can't play 3b any more, he's got a case of the "yips" where every time he gets a slow ground ball to 3b he air mails the throw into the right field stands. They were trying to shift him over to 1b to have something to use him for late in the season when he had an injury flash.

Short version; the Pirates had a guy at 3b who almost won the batting title this year. They're not adding a 3b right now.

I'm not going to lie, that's a huge over sight on my part and thanks for pointing it out. Don't know how I missed Harrison but I did.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
Danks is not even close to a third-tier SP today. He is replacement level at $14m per annum.

and I will still continue to say, he may surprise many next yr. I still think he will rebound.

I am done with danks discussion. I am really battling an uphill battle.

keep up the good discussion.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
and I will still continue to say, he may surprise many next yr. I still think he will rebound.

I hope you're right, I just don't see any reason to believe. Danks is a command-based pitcher, and from what is now a pretty generous amount of "rebound time," he can only touch his old velocity of low 90's by sacrificing his command. He's comfortably in the mid to upper 80's. When he's on, it'll play, but the margin for error is SO slim there that if he's having even a slightly mediocre night, he's going to give up BOMBS. I predict 4-5 good starts out of him next year that make you drool a bit, but also 4-5 total meltdowns and 15-20 starts of 4.50-5.00 ERA.

To be effective he really needs to be near his best every night, and that's just too much to ask of anyone.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
I hope you're right, I just don't see any reason to believe. Danks is a command-based pitcher, and from what is now a pretty generous amount of "rebound time," he can only touch his old velocity of low 90's by sacrificing his command. He's comfortably in the mid to upper 80's. When he's on, it'll play, but the margin for error is SO slim there that if he's having even a slightly mediocre night, he's going to give up BOMBS. I predict 4-5 good starts out of him next year that make you drool a bit, but also 4-5 total meltdowns and 15-20 starts of 4.50-5.00 ERA.

To be effective he really needs to be near his best every night, and that's just too much to ask of anyone.

I trust Hector Noesi far more than I do Danks. It's one of the reasons I'm a proponent of eating salary to move him.

FanGraphs had a nice article today on Dan Duquette basically summarzing what he did and how teams can improve. Most people think of a GMs job and they think "he needs to bring in good players," which is true of course, but they also don't look at the exact opposite of that where GMs also need to get rid of bad players (the old addition by subtraction). I appreciate all Danks has done for the organization at this point, but I think if you can get rid of him, you can improve on his numbers too fairly easily (or at least replicate his numbers much cheaper, which opens a roster spot for another player...say some guy like Carlos Rodon).

If you can't move Danks without eating too much, it's understandable and you try and figure out a way to work him into the pitching staff, but I don't feel he should be guaranteed a rotation spot due to seniority or a contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)

I was really hoping this would be the year Danks rebounded and he flat out did not do so.

Avoiding bad players is interesting. I believe A Garcia had a negative WAR, for example.

Re pitching, most of the core of the pen had a positive WAR. We just didn't have any top end guys much above 1 (KC had 2 or 3 of those guys).

Webb (big disappointment), LIndstrom (always sucked) , Surkamp (meh) and Cleto (I still like him) had negative WAR.

Anyone think there could be a trade with the Pirates built around Dank + cash ............ for Tabata and ............?

I know the Sox don't need Tabata but the Pirates will be looking for pitching and could be interested if the cash is right. Its rumored the Pirates are looking to unload Tabata who will cost 4M in 2015 and 4.5M in 2016. After 2016 there are three consecutive years of team buy outs that cost 250k so if the Sox didn't like Tabata they can buy him out after the 2016 season is over and make him a FA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
That's unreadable even for you.

Basically, that chart (which won't copy and paste correctly) says that Justin Masterson's ERA is not indicative of his overall FIP and xFIP numbers, that's there a disconnect or anomaly there, particularly in the case of Masterson.

Colby Lewis, Santana, McCarthy, Correia and F.Morales are some of the other pitchers picked up by that screen.

I think Colby Lewis would be perfect. Undervalued. Veteran of many playoff games and tons of post-season experience and veteran savvy. Wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Anyone think there could be a trade with the Pirates built around Dank + cash ............ for Tabata and ............?

I know the Sox don't need Tabata but the Pirates will be looking for pitching and could be interested if the cash is right. Its rumored the Pirates are looking to unload Tabata who will cost 4M in 2015 and 4.5M in 2016. After 2016 there are three consecutive years of team buy outs that cost 250k so if the Sox didn't like Tabata they can buy him out after the 2016 season is over and make him a FA.

Isn't Tabata now available for basically nothing (removed from roster)?

The Pirates are going to put all their resources into keeping Volquez, Liriano and Martin, not adding someone like John Danks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)

The Pirates are going to put all their resources into keeping Volquez, Liriano and Martin, not adding someone like John Danks.

I think it's very clear the Pirates will be losing at least one, if not both of those pitchers, so if you make Danks cheap enough to them they'd probably consider it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
I think it's very clear the Pirates will be losing at least one, if not both of those pitchers, so if you make Danks cheap enough to them they'd probably consider it.

Liriano made $6 million this year, along with performance incentives/bonuses up to $8 million.

Volquez made $5 million this past year. That's ($13 million) less than the White Sox pay Danks, combined.

Surely, they'll lose Martin and put their efforts into keeping Volquez, since he seemed very comfortable with their coaching staff and pitching coach.

If I'm the Pirates, I will ask for Noesi to fill out the back of the rotation.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
Liriano has an $8 million option that will be exercised.

Volquez made $5 million this past year. That's ($13 million) less than the White Sox pay Danks, combined.

Surely, they'll lose Martin and put their efforts into keeping Volquez, since he seemed very comfortable with their coaching staff and pitching coach.

If I had to guess I'd actually say it would be the other way around, they'll do a lot to try to keep Martin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
If I had to guess I'd actually say it would be the other way around, they'll do a lot to try to keep Martin.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2179929...-martin-in-2015

Someone agrees with you.

And, if you think about it, a lot of the postseason teams have very strong leaders at that position, Sal Perez, Buster Posey and Yadier Molina in particular.

That can't be a complete coincidence.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:36 PM)

According to the latest from mlbtraderumors. Tabata accepted his assignment to AAA so given his salary I would think that Tabata is available since I cannot see the Pirates paying 4M to play AAA. I suppose he could be the backup OF but then why would they designate him in the first place? I'm just thinking about, bad contract for bad contract trade with the Sox kicking in money with Danks to make him cheaper.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)
Liriano made $6 million this year, along with performance incentives/bonuses up to $8 million.

If I'm the Pirates, I will ask for Noesi to fill out the back of the rotation.

Both Liriano and Volquez are going to get healthy raises with their next contract. Same with Martin so I doubt Pitt can afford to keep all three. Its possible that any one of those players bail Pitt for a more lucrative offer elsewhere since they are at the age of getting what could be their last multi-year contract.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
Are these Melky rumors really valid? Thought of him being on the team is already ruining my offseason.

No, just speculation. Toronto will make a qualifying offer (or not) after the World Series, which will be summarily accepted or rejected as he's probably going to be looking for 3-4 years and bigger overall guaranteed money. Then he becomes more relevant.

Edited by caulfield12

The one positive to Melky's past PED use is that it should limit the overall contract length. My guess is he gets something like 3/$45M and maybe even a little less in terms of AAV if he's given a qualifying offer. I really don't think anyone will be willing to go four years with him due to his baggage.

While I do have some concerns about Melky going forward, I think the deal I mentioned above is a no-brainer for us.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
Because greg is more concerned about our players being likeable than he is about our team winning games.

Melky has a ton of warts. It is very understandable why some wouldn't want the White Sox to sign him.

Edited by Dick Allen